ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carb and Calorie Cycling
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:38 am 
Novice
Novice

About a year ago I went on Lite n Easy for about 3 months and lost about 9 kilos. Towards the end, it was getting far more difficult to lose any weight. I got down to about 74 and then it just stopped.
So I started doing weights and eating more and bunged on about 6kgs of muscle and a couple kilos of fat.

I stopped doing weights because of an injury but kept eating fairly healthily and I'm now sitting at about 76.4kgs, and I'm wanting to lose a bit of fat. I've got this belly Id love to get rid of but can't seem to get below 75kgs.

So I'm looking at the cycling option after looking at this article - http://ericcressey.com/an-overlooked-hormone

I can easily keep my calories at about 1600 a day, and I do lose weight, but then it just seems to stop, and i think its for the reason this guy talks about. So would it be fair enough to keep calories at about 1600 a day, eating as much protein as possible for the week, then eat what I wanted on Sunday?
Or would it be better to eat one "cheat" meal every 3 days.

My general diet is this.

Breakfast
2 x Weet bix and skim milk (no sugar)

Snack
Handful of almonds
Banana
Coffee with skim milk

Lunch
Tin of Tuna
2 x rice cakes
Salad
Avocado

Snack
Trail mix
Fruit
2 x Rice cakes and salsa

Dinner
Usually just something smallish... And then i try and kill the after dinner cravings with some rice cakes and vegemite or something.
Maybe more tuna...

Usually getting between 1500-1800 calories a day.

I'm quite happy eating this way, but I'd love to have a cheat day, or cheat meal every few days. So maybe for lunch a couple days a week I could smash a chicken burger or something.

Maybe I've misinterpreted the article, but that's what it seems to be saying.

Anyone got any simple advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:32 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Allot of people like to cheat on the weekend because hanging with freinds and stuff.

Also What are rice cakes, sounds Carbish and low in protein.

I think you need more meat. Steak, Ribs, lamb, yum!

I can't speak for everyone here but we pretty much eat High Protein/Fat and low Carb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:47 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Although I don't think you need the Lamb, ribs, steak etc, I do think that you are eating too many carbs from starch-type foods to lose weight as well as you want to.

I don't know the nature of your injury, but I definately think SOME kind of exercise will be dramatically helpful. If you can, try and get a good majority of your carbs from vegetables, especially green, leafy vegetables, and eat clean proteins....egg whites, etc. Eat every two hours, and drink lots of water. Simple sugars like what would be found in an apple is good in between meals and after a cardio workout, and don't forget that calories are heat, and muscle generates heat, so of you get your large muscle groups going good and hot, you will burn some more calories.

Generally, if you are doing cardio, the first 20 min. is burning pure carbs, and after that your body starts calling for lipid (fat) sources of energy, which is when you will lose the extra bodyfat. Calorie deficit will help, but I think you need exercise.

Be careful though, you may just get skinny...most people forget that they need a muscle base when "cutting down" in order to get cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:08 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Did ya'll look at the liteneasy website? Those menus are utter garbage. Every meal contains non-paleo seed grains and high-sugar carbs. You might lose weight at 1500 calories, sure, but that's just cause you're starving. You could also lose weight by not eating anything at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

The rice cakes are a mixed grain thin biscuit type thing. I probably have about 6 a day and they have about 5g carbs (less than 1g sugar) and 23cals each.
I just eat them as a substitute for bread and other snacks like chips and stuff. I actually don't mind them at all.

So are the almonds and trail mix and stuff the starch type foods I should eat less of in exchange for fruits and leafy vegetables?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

And yeah I'm gonna start up the weights again today...
I just strained my right shoulder doing military press. I've given it a couple of weeks off so I'm just going to start off lightly.