ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Anabolic Diet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:56 am 

Hello, just wondering if anyone's tried this. I started eating low carb a few months ago as I didn't think there was any need for the amount of carbs I was eating. I aimed for under 100g a day, not too low but lower than what I was used to. Then I started aiming lower and I came accross the anabolic diet. (If you're not aware of it, in a sentence it's <25g carbs a day mon-fri, then 60% carbs on weekends).

I didnt go through the phases they talk about like maintenence and cut, I just went straight for it. I've been happy with the resullts, I've put on a noticable amount of muscle and about 6 pounds, I think this is purely to do with the higher protein intake. Although I've gone up in weight, I look just as lean as I was. One thing I find weird is that on Sunday my arms looked way bigger than normal, but im guessing this is to do with the higher carb intake during the weekend so a lot of it would have been water.

I could quite easily do this diet all the time, I used to find training without carbs useless. Got fatigued straight away and just felt tired all the time but now im progressing in weight and I only ever eat carbs at weekends! What I'm wondering is, I'm eating a lot of fat during the week from meat and dairy, although I look healthy from the outside, will this have any bad effect on my health? I find high fat/low carb diets a bit hard to get my head round because I'm doing a degree in nutrition and it's the complete opposite of what they teach us. I'm not taking any omega 3 supplements, but thinking of it to balance out the types of fat I'm eating.

I know a lot of people on this board eat a low carb diet and I'm planning on continuing, just wondering how other people go about this throughout the year.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:21 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

if you're lucky Stuward will chime in on this, he's the resident expert. I don't know much but if you're getting loads of vegetable fats then an omega 3 supplement is definitely something you want to look into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:57 am 

I would but I'm up to my ears at work. This is a good nutrition program and this could be the foundation of a lifetime eating plan with some minor mods. Tim and Ironman may also be able to contribute here.

I'm interested to hear how your course conflicts with what you are learning from the Anabolic Diet and how you're dealing with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:15 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Do you work out on the weekend? The weekday/weekend thing always confused me. Shouldn't the timing be related to training?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:09 pm 

I workout during the week, upped it to 4 days a week at the moment while I'm off uni. I might do the odd workout on saturday if I missed it in the week, but at the moment I'm coping with very little carbs.

I like the fact I don't have to be as strict on weekends, protein intake is only meant to be 10% which feels a bit weird but it's nice going crazy on carbs. I think I would benefit more from training on weekends but i usually drink so I'd rather train in the week.

At uni we basically get taught that carbs should make up approx 50% of the diet, protein 15% and fats 35% and it's drilled into us that a high fat intake, especially saturated fat, is linked with CHD, obesity, etc.

I had to do a nutritional analysis on myself when I wasn't even trying to reduce carbs and my intake was 31% carbs, 20% protein and 49% fat. I basically had to write about how my fat intake should be lower.

This low carb lifestyle really interests me because I think it makes so much sense in how we have been living for the last few thousand years. i.e using fat as our main energy source. I find that I'm a lot leaner with minimal carbs but I still find it confusing whether to eat any carbs pre/post workout. At the moment I'm doing fine just eating protein/fat pre- and protein/creatine post-. It's a tricky one deciding whether I should add dextrose to my shakes as I have been doing for about a year, but at the moment I'm coping fine without it. The same goes for things like lucozade or powerade/gatorade, I've stayed away from these when before I'd have one or at least make my own dextrose drink through every workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:46 pm 

I think moderate to low carbs is important, but I also think it depends on where you get them. I think if you cut out or make processed, grains and dairy carbs minimal, and stick to fruits and veggies, you don't necessarily have to be as gung ho about it. I eat a good amount of both fruits and veggies and haven't had any probs with weight since I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:46 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I eat a low carb high fat/protein diet.

I havent been working out though for a while, because I had my wisdom teeth removed, then I got into that barb wire accident lol and I have no equipment, and I can't decide on wether or not to buy a barbell +weights or just join a gym.

My work though requires allot of energy and im young so my metabolism is very high withought working so I have to eat allot. I find when I eat carbs I always get tired and hungry soon after, but with a high fat/protein meal I can go hours and feel great. It's just so much esier eating carbs, i don't have to cook anything. And people are complaining of my fish lol