ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: liver supplement?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:44 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I had a nutritionist one time recommend eating something or other for liver health - I'm not certain I see it online, though I see Turmeric, might have been that. I have it on a printout somewhere...

Anyway - I'm now being barraged by daily ads for liver health pills on TV - it seems to be all the rage, which is what reminded me of that. Anyone taking anything specifically along those lines?

Edit: I might be thinking Turmeric sounds familiar because it's an ingredient in the French's mustard I eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:39 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Turmeric is a indian spice, which is yellowish-orange and will stain pretty much anything. I have some and I add it to my food sometimes. It's rewally bitter and pungent!

It supposedly has allot of benifits which im to tired to think of right now. One being a liver aid.

I dont really know much about those herbal supplements... I think it's more important to get your essential nutrients first then start experimenting with herbs and spices for health.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:51 am 
Novice
Novice

I think it would be turmeric you were recommended, see the link below for some other foods that support a healthy liver.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... d=11#title

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just eat Indian food, or get some mustard. That's what makes it yellow you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:03 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ironman wrote:
Just eat Indian food, or get some mustard. That's what makes it yellow you know.

Per the first post yea I eat mustard - almost every day in fact. I usually eat raw mustard greens or (occasionally collard greens) with mustard at lunch. But, a tiny blob of mustard goes a long way - I doubt I'm getting much turmeric from it. :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I usually use a fair amount if I put mustard on something. You could also get the powder from a spice shop. I never make a curry without a little turmeric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:43 pm 

dale2177 wrote:
I think it would be turmeric you were recommended, see the link below for some other foods that support a healthy liver.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... d=11#title
I love these sites, carrying on and on about foods that "support" various aspects of liver functioning, but never once saying how the function is measured. Just what about "liver function" improves with these foods? I think that someone has looked at various metabolic sequences that occur in the liver, and note any substances in the pathways that are in common with some food, and assume that adding that substance must be a good thing. Sulfur, for example in this article. But they still don't say what's being measured as improved. Oh, by the way, be really careful not to eat too many egg yolks--they have all that nasty saturated fat and cholesterol!

I think that if you give more than passing attention to "liver function" you're worrying way too much!

Eat turmeric because it makes your food taste good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have to agree, all that stuff smells like BS to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:55 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I wouldnt listen to any "nutritionist," Since there is no regulation for that title.

Dietician is regulated but even some of them are as bad as nutritionists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:18 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Yes, I agree it's a bunch of hand-waving, sadly lacking in clinical data. But, similar to most of the omega-3 claims, the net advice is to consume more paleo food (or food extracts), which seems good anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:05 am 
Novice
Novice

I think liver function is of paramount importance. I don't know if Turmeric or Mustard have anything to do with it. We in India use quite a lot of Turmeric and Mustard oil. They must do something to sustain a vegetarian lifestyle, but what exactly is not known. They are both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial though, but I guess that doesn't have any bearing with the liver.

Liver is the only organ that can grow. Actually it is continuously being damaged and regrown. So the important thing to do for its health is to not damage it.

Fructose and high omega 6 oils damage it. High Carbohydrate diet will also damage it. Basically it converts fructose and glucose to fat by using some parts of itself.

So you want to get rid of fructose and Refined oils, and add Fish oil to your diet. You also want to reduce carbohydrate consumption.

Once you do these things your liver will be in a good condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:06 am 
Novice
Novice

You may also want to add animal livers to your diet. It should provide vitamins and minerals for livers growth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:02 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Yeah, I've got that covered since I'm eating paleo, with the exception of some cheese. I've only been doing 1 high-carb meal every 7 days or so.

Incidentally there's a lot of articles talking about high protein being hard on the liver as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, they failed with kidneys, so now they will have a go at the liver. Its utter bollocks. It's metabolizing sugars that cause problems with the liver. We have tons of studies on high protein diets and nobody had liver problems. The people with liver problems were those eating modern diets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:54 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Yeah it seems to be mostly hand-waving. It's sad how many articles there are on stuff like this that don't cite studies.