ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:19 am 
Novice
Novice

Right now im 175 5'9" and consuming roughly 3k calories per day.

8AM - 55g Whey Protein Shake + Banana + Wheat Toast
10AM - Cup of Peanut Butter + Pretzels
12PM - Lunch - Usually a footlong sub or leftover dinners (range from 500-700 calories 25-45g protein)
2:30PM - Lunch #2 Same as above
5PM - 55g Whey Protein Shake
6:30PM - 20g protein (No Shotgun)
7PM - Lift and consume 20g protein (No Synthesize)
730-45 - 55g Whey Protein Shake
8-830 - Consume roughly 1k calories 40-50g of protein
10:30 - 24g Casein Protein
BEDTIME

So now with trying to bulk up i am adding 1/2 gallon of whole milk throughout the day. It clocks in at about 1k calories, 64g Fat, 32g Protein.

Do you think this will help me bulk up or will it just make me fat? So far ive noticed better bowel movements since drinking milk and alot more energy throughout the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:16 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

If you're trying to bulk up, you will see some fat gain, but, jist try it out for a while without overthinking things, and keep tabs on your waistline.If it starts to get overly flabby or too large in circumference, cut back a bit on the calorie intake and adjust as necessary.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:19 am 
Novice
Novice

Why not add a lot of fat, in the form of butter, ghee, lard etc. It is the densest form of energy that is there. You will be able to add a lot of energy to your diet.

I think you are eating way too much protein. Using protein for energy in my opinion is not a good thing. Adding fat will balance that protein out.

Fat also doesn't make you fat because it does not raise insulin.

It is one of the reason that Whole milk is recommended over skim milk. It gives you more calories. Just don't eat those refined vegetable fats.

Milk is the best for building muscle because it has some kind of growth factors. But it does add some fat because of the large amount of carbohydrates. During bulking phase milk is fine, but if you go with simply butter/ghee and your whey, then you are getting the best parts of the milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

since i started drinking the milk my energy levels have went up alot. I find myself setting new records on every lift at the gym. not a huge difference in my waist either...well maybe right after i drink a ton of milk but it goes away lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:52 pm 

anandsr21 wrote:

I think you are eating way too much protein.

He is at right around 2 grams per pound, spread out throughout the day.

Sounds ideal to me if building big muscles is his goal.

But Pauly, Tim is right. Eat and then eat some more. When your belly starts to disdend from so much food being packed in there you know you are doing it right.

Once fat gets to be a bit much, trim back very little bit at a time. DOn't starve yourself as soon as your abs disappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:17 pm 
former lurker

I have a question here - does iron content also required in gaining weight ?

I know about protein requirements in diet and Pauly420 diet plan looks very impressive .

GONE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:38 pm 

SPAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:45 pm 
former lurker

and why the heck is my post spam ? i raised a valid question is iron content required to gain weight ?

if you think that i should not put my signature or that is against forum rules then i am sorry that i did not realize and will remove the signature

Thanks and i will appreciate your response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:32 pm 

garytoh wrote:
and why the heck is my post spam ? i raised a valid question is iron content required to gain weight ?

if you think that i should not put my signature or that is against forum rules then i am sorry that i did not realize and will remove the signature

Thanks and i will appreciate your response.

Do you not think advertising sexual enhancement pills on a fitness based forum is a little strange? Throw up red flags?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:28 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

A side question then, would a person be able to bulk as effectively if they increased their fat intake and reduced their carb intake? As long as they were having around a 500 kcal surplus of their maintenance level? Everytime I bulk I have a nasty problem of gaining body fat too fast (I float between 10-15%). I think this is due to my genetic super sensitivity to insulin spikes and sugars. I also notice I can improve hypertrophy by having 50-100g of simple carbs after a workout with my protein.

Can I design a bulking diet that consists of only around 100-150g of carbs and higher fats/proteins if I limit carb consumption to first thing in the morning and target some simple carbs for a post workout insulin spike? Or will the lack of carbs deplete glycogen too much for me to train intensely?

I've read an article that states that if your genetic ancestry hails from colder regions, you are designed to ingest more fat and protein in bigger portions (I naturally love meat) and can pack on mass more easily than if you're from a southern hotter climate. People whose ancestors come from regions closer to the equator are supposed to be designed to ingest smaller meals spread out the day with lots of carbs due to the increased availability of vegetable foods in warmer and sunnier climates. Their metabolisms are faster and they carry less fat because don't need the warmth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:17 pm 

gtjl2007 wrote:

I've read an article that states that if your genetic ancestry hails from colder regions, you are designed to ingest more fat and protein in bigger portions (I naturally love meat) and can pack on mass more easily than if you're from a southern hotter climate. People whose ancestors come from regions closer to the equator are supposed to be designed to ingest smaller meals spread out the day with lots of carbs due to the increased availability of vegetable foods in warmer and sunnier climates. Their metabolisms are faster and they carry less fat because don't need the warmth.

I am actually kind of curious where you read this article. This is an interesting hypothesis/theory to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:10 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Look up Bergman's Rule and Allen's Rule.

"Bergmann's rule has also been applied to populations of humans. Pygmies are found only in the tropics, and other tropical races tend to be shorter than those in temperate regions. Also, in Europe, Southern Europeans, such as Italians, tend to be shorter on average than Northern Europeans, such as Swedes. The same goes for Asians, as northern Asians are on average larger than their Southeast Asian counterparts. The Eskimos of Alaska and northern Canada are known for their accumulation of fat as acclimatization to severe cold. However, there are exceptions as well."

I agree with this theory because of personal observations. I'm of Northeastern Asian descent (Beijing area in China & inner Mongolia), and I've found my morphology and metabolic traits vastly different from Southern Asian people. I also can gain bodyweight faster, although I have a nasty tendency to get to about 15-16% bodyfat when eating a bulking diet (I float between 165 to 175lbs, max around 185lbs with 14% bodyfat), which is too high in my opinion. I'm assuming this is due to the cold winters in the area my ancestors came from and the fact that during colder times most of the food available in this type of climate zone is meat. I've always enjoyed eating meat as early as I can remember. I have a friend from Africa who loves carbs and could care less for meat. He's very thin and he is the kind of guy who can sit and eat 2 big macs and look fine the next day.

I'd like to maintain about 10% bodyfat at around my current weight while improving strength because I lost a good deal of strength due to an injury a few months ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:59 pm 

Read "The Anabolic Diet". It's a low carb diet meant for bulking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:44 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I just read a summary of it. I am scared that if I use this diet I won't have any energy for endurance type training and sports later on. Is it possible to use this diet while doing plyomerics and endurance running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:46 pm 

You will have more energy. It just takes a couple of weeks to adapt.