ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:48 pm 
n00b
n00b

been hitting the gym reguarly for some time now since i'm trying to lose fat and build a bit of muscle till uni in october.

my diet for it so far has been pretty good - essentially low carb, and i've been reducing portion sizes by snacking on nuts between meals so i don't get massive hunger pangs and overeat during main meals

that's until the evening. around 6 in the evening i have these gigantic urges to eat, and even when i have a moderately-sized dinner i still feel hungry; its a massive urge not to grab some bread lying around or finish the stupidly high-GI risotto lying in the fridge (i'm even thinking about it now lol :P)

my primary aim is to lose body fat, and the idea of a low carb diet is that by eating protein and a moderate amount of fats (eg in nuts) i end up eating less than if i ate lots of carbs (also taking into account the thermic effect of protein etc).

how can i stop this evening hunger? cheers for any pointers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:41 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

So, why are you eating risotto to begin with?

I find that eating non-paleo grains makes me hungrier as well. After a carb-cycle meal (which I've been doing weekly) I feel mentally hungry even when I'm physically too full to eat any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:58 pm 
n00b
n00b

frogbyte wrote:
So, why are you eating risotto to begin with?

I find that eating non-paleo grains makes me hungrier as well. After a carb-cycle meal (which I've been doing weekly) I feel mentally hungry even when I'm physically too full to eat any more.

my fault, my message was a bit ambigous - i didn't actually eat the risotto my rents just made it after i ate.

when you eat low carb, if you feel hungry afterwards what do you do to curb it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:14 pm 

Cottage Cheese...

A bowl of Broccoli and spinach

Steak

I would just eat any of those...

Whey shake maybe?

Just tossing ideas out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:23 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

nygmen wrote:
Cottage Cheese...

I have this with fresh blueberries almost every night...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:17 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Cold cut meat? chicken or turkey with some olive oil on top, plus vegetables. Pretty quick and simple meal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:32 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I usually mix a meat mixture with about 2/3 more in volume of fibrous veg, usually broccolli, green beans or something similar. I season it to taste good, and the veg volume keeps me full. If I get hungry after that, I usually do some nuts or cheese, but from my perspective, if I eat enough veg, dressed with some olive oil in the meal, I usually won't get hungry
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:56 pm 

Like I said in another post...try to keep your mind occupied/yourself busy. Call and chat with someone on the phone. Go rent a movie. Buy some computer games that involve some thought process (though Diablo 2 is a fun game for instance but when I was younger I could eat entire meals playing the game). Sometimes you just eat cause your bored, not because your hungry. Just do something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:51 am 
n00b
n00b

these are all really great ideas, thanks loads. i'll see how i go over the next few days and tell you how they work out, cheers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:06 am 

I literally grab whatever's in the fridge that isn't carbs. Ham, cheese, olives, cottage cheese, left over meat or protein shake etc. I just make a random feast of things really or make it into a salad. A caesin shake right before bed always keeps my stomach full.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:18 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

bigwill wrote:
when you eat low carb, if you feel hungry afterwards what do you do to curb it?

I eat more. Although, in reality, I don't think that's ever happened. Usually by the time I get to the last few reps, er, bites of my 1 pound of veggies I start to really slow down.

That 1 pound is arbitrary, but lots of veggies comes in 1 pound bags - usually with a statement about how it contains 15 servings or something. Ha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:38 pm 
I too am on a lower carb eating plan and the evenings are the WORST times for me. But the suggestions have been great:

cottage cheese
lunchmeat with cheese
whey shake

etc

Good luck!

Jenny

~~~~~~
spam link (removed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jenny1980 wins the spammer of the year award. Not only did she come here and sign up manually to get around the script blocking. She also waited for the confirmation e-mail. I had been delaying this for at least a few hours, because sometimes you get spammed if you do it right after the sign up. After she got the sign up e-mail, she not only logged in and dropped her payload, but she actually made a coherent on topic post that looks just like a typical user. The English was good too. In 15 years of internet usage, this is the first time I have seen such a thing. So I have to leave this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

She is from Mexico. So only half credit on the good English. Spanish to English is easy. 90%+ of spammers are from APNIC by the way, Asia/Pacific network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:20 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

big salad, late at night, has helped me avoid any diet cheating for last 5 months. Went from 230 to 168.