I tried making a home made weight gainer using protein powder, Cocoa powder, coconut powder and dextrose. It was disgusting.
Dextrose is very sweet. That may have been why it was "disgusting".
I use dextose in the past and due how sweet it was, got a gag reflex after drinking the beverage. It was like drinking honey...a little goes a long way.
I used those ingredients because i wanted a high fat/protein powder.
Dextrose takes your beverage out of the "high fat/protein..." catagory, dependent on how much you used.
Dextrose also elevates the release of insulin. When insulin levels are elevated several things occur, two are:
1) Insulin blocks body fat from being burned.
2) Insulin promotes the storage of body fat. "Insulin is a fat maker," (Nutritionist Jay Robb). In a post workout condition, this is unlikely to happen.
One of the easiest ways of increasing you caloric intake is with fat. It has 123 calories/14 grams of fat per table spoon.
There are plenty of good fat to select from:
1) Extra Virgin Olive Oil (as hoosegow had in his formula). It is a healthy monounsaturated fat. 123 calories per tablespoon/14 grams of fat.
2) Peanut Butter (Two tablespoons = 180 calories/17 grams of fat that's primarily monounstarurated/7 grams of protein)
Nutritionist Nancy- "Peanut Butter: A Super Sports Food"
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/a ... icleid=332
I recommend Skippy Natural. It made with Palm Oil. That means the oil is not floating on the top...so, you don't have to stir it up.
3) Nuts. They contain monounsaturated fats and protein.
There are other monounsaturated fats such as Avacados, Avacado Oil and other nut oils, all a bit pricy.
4) Coconut Oil. A medium chain tryglyceride/fat that is digested in approximately the same amount of time as carbohydrates. It has 123 calories per tablespoon/14 grams of fat.
"Eating foods containing MCT is like putting high octane fuel into your car." http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article10612.htm
5) Codliver Oil. High in Omega 3 fats. 123 calories per tablespoon/14 grams of fat.