All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:00 am 

Check out the link.

Heart group draws hard line on sugar intake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And the food industry complains about it. Imagine that. What the AHA giveth, the AHA taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:42 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ironman wrote:
And the food industry complains about it. Imagine that. What the AHA giveth, the AHA taketh away.

Ah yes. What a shocker. I've always found it interesting that the AHA promotes Cheerios, and not just the plain kind but also Honey Nut for example. With 9 grams of sugar per serving.

Don't you also like the generalization Yahoo makes? "heart group" :lol:

*shameless brag* I've actually presented research results at the annual AHA conference, and participated in a press conference cause they thought my results were really interesting. It had nothing to do with sugars though, but with certain gene variants that I found cause heart disease and sudden death. *end of shameless brag*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:47 pm 

My main downfall with sugar is condiments. I don't think many realize ketchup and bbq sauce and whatnot is really sugary. If you look at the ingredients it might only be 5-10g, but that is usually per tablespoon or whatever. And alas, most meat I eat, I eat with BBQ sauce...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:18 am 

Try mustard, hot sauce (tabasco or similar) or spices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:21 am 

stuward wrote:
Try mustard, hot sauce (tabasco or similar) or spices.

I have a bottle of this on my desk at all times. I put it on everything. meat, salad, steamed veggies, its amazing.
http://www.franksredhot.com/products_o.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:32 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I've started marinading quite a lot. Doing it a lot more after some recent BBQ's. Me and my g/f just recently moved into a house so, some bada$$ BBQ's were on the cards. Being Scotland, we've only managed 2 so far, and one was in the pouring rain (was still great though). Anyway, i've started marinading a lot of the meat i cook indoors now.

My favourite is,

-get a bowl
-pour in some cajun spice/seasoning stuff (whatever, as long as it's cajun)
-a spoonful or 2 or 3 of chopped chillies. For these i've been buying these 'easy chillies' that are alrady chopped and in a jar of balsamic vinegar.
-Pour in some extra virgin olive oil
-pour in some beer until you get it to become sort of 'pastey'. Yip, that's right, I said BEER. Some people will tell you wine, but don't listen to them (it doesn't matter what you use to be honest).

Then paint the chicken with it and/or dunk the chicken in the bowl and let it soak. Let it soak over night for extra tastey-ness.

Another quick one I've been using a lot is,

-Tikka powder
-Natural yoghurt
-mix it all together then drown the chicken in it. This actually makes the meat very tastey, quite surprising actually.

Just mess around with various things you have lying in your cupboards. Mix them all togehter with some olive oil and beer/wine if need be and see what happens. It's fun.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:36 am 

In a related article, the American Eye Institute reports that jabbing a white hot fish hook in one's eye is damaging to your eyesight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Helena115 wrote:
Ironman wrote:

Ah yes. What a shocker. I've always found it interesting that the AHA promotes Cheerios, and not just the plain kind but also Honey Nut for example. With 9 grams of sugar per serving.

Don't you also like the generalization Yahoo makes? "heart group" :lol:

*shameless brag* I've actually presented research results at the annual AHA conference, and participated in a press conference cause they thought my results were really interesting. It had nothing to do with sugars though, but with certain gene variants that I found cause heart disease and sudden death. *end of shameless brag*

That's actually pretty interesting. I was actually just learning a little about harmful gene variants earlier today. I never understood how they could be around due to natural selection. But it turns out they usually have some benefit when you are younger, and only end up killing you when you are older and past your reproductive years.

Did you find out what else these variants do by any chance, or how prevalent they are?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:47 am 

Here's a blog expanding on this study.

http://blog.zeroinginonhealth.com/?p=1185

The author is a rather extreme zero carb enthusiast but he is usually right on the money on this subject.

Some quotes I think are relevant:

"It’s significant that they are beginning to understand the role of sugar in this process yet they are still trying to rationalize and make it fit within the comfortable confines of their diet-heart beliefs. "

"This “small” study is likely one of the best studies they have at their disposal yet they find some way to marginalize it and say it’s not relevant in some fashion."

"they refuse to acknowledge the finding that the low-fat diet was not protective against anything."

"For once in my life, I advise you to listen to the American Heart Association and cut your consumption [of sugar] and that of those you love by any means necessary!"