ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Milk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:56 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

What are peoples thoughts on milk as a source of protein. How much is too much? Since I started lifting seriously (or more seriously) at the beginning of this year I have gradually upped my milk intake to about 4-5 pints a day, and frankly its really the only stable item in my diet is that too much?

I have seen a lot of info on the web about growth horomones in cows milk and the like, is this something to be concerned about? Or is it, as I suspect, mostly paranoia (obviously I realize there is some debate on this so I guess just wondering what other people think).

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:11 pm 

I don't believe humans absorb bovine growth hormone when they take it orally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oral administration has no effect because it can't survive the pass through the liver. In order to make any steroid/hormone able to make it through the liver you must modify the alpha position of the 17 carbon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:58 am 

Ironman wrote:
Oral administration has no effect because it can't survive the pass through the liver. In order to make any steroid/hormone able to make it through the liver you must modify the alpha position of the 17 carbon.
The ferrous gentleman never ceases to amaze me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:31 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I don't think 4-5 pints is that much. 5 pints of whole milk is only 78 grams of protein in 1465 calories, though, so it's not just a protein source. Still, if you can handle milk, why not?

As for bovine growth hormone, I won't drink any milk that contains it. No BGH, no antibiotics. It's easy enough and cheap enough to buy milk without it. I've read what Ironman mentioned before - that my liver will filter it out - but I don't see any upside to it for me. BGH doesn't help me, it just helps make cheaper cow production, and then my liver has to work to undo their addition. No thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:12 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Even if the liver did filter out 100% with no downside after filtering, that seems to discount the possibility of absorption and side effects through entry to the body via other streams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, Doc :grin:

Pdell, as far as I know it is not hard on your liver, it is just like anything else it does. Your liver processes stuff all the time. It's only trace amounts anyway.

Frogbyte, Yea, I guess I am making the assumption that people do not take milk by intramuscular injection. Silly me.

Now if they were dosing the cows with anadrol I would understand. Those cows would probably break out of their pens though. :lol:

You know they give growth hormone and trenbolone to meat cows don't you? It makes meat much cheaper. Cows get very big, very fast and with half the feed.

If you would like to worry excessively about something, might I suggest the female hormones (from birth control) found in water. That's a real issue, although it's just trace amounts right now. But given the right "what ifs" I'm sure you would be able to whip yourself into frenzy very easily. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:11 pm 

Ironman wrote:
Pdell, as far as I know it is not hard on your liver, it is just like anything else it does. Your liver processes stuff all the time. It's only trace amounts anyway.

Maybe so, but if it doesn't add anything to my body, I don't see much reason to put it in. I don't look for "harmless" but rather for "helpful." I don't see how it would help me, so I'd rather leave it out. So I always choose cheeses and milks that from no-BGH/no-antibiotic cows.

As for meat cows, well, generally I eat grass-fed pasture-raised beef. Or eat the no-GH no-antibiotic meat, grass fed or not. Same reasoning - not clearly helpful, so I'll skip it. If there was a positive benefit to the stuff besides "cheap for the factory farms to crank out" I might be convinced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:30 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

We're sterilizing and mutating fish left and right. It'd be naive not to at least be concerned about these unnatural chemicals.

Also supposedly BGH doesn't get transferred to milk, but I'm not sure I trust the FDA on that one. Course I stopped drinking milk a while back cause of the excessive sugar, and only eat organic cheese, so it's a non-issue for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying milk is such a great source of protein. I'm just addressing one concern.

I don't see any reason to put something in my body that isn't helpful either. But I also don't worry about harmless things. I only actively avoid harmful things. I don't drink milk, but it has nothing to do with the sensationalist crap. I don't drink it because of the lactose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:03 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
I don't believe humans absorb bovine growth hormone when they take it orally.

Damn it, I need all the help I can get.

And Ironman is waaaaaayyyyy smarter than I am... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:06 pm 

Ironman wrote:
I don't drink it because of the lactose.

Have you tried Lactade?

I can't drink regular milk, but the lactade only gives me bloat and backne, I don't get the bowel issues I get with regular milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not lactose intolerant. I just keep my sugars very minimal. I have very poor genetics. I get fat real easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:56 pm 

ahhh, that make's sense.

I'm pretty sure I would lose some bloat and weight pretty quick if I dropped the milk. But I don't feel like I'm sensitive enough to completely avoid it as long as I'm actually lifting.