ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions about new diet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:36 pm 
Novice
Novice

Started using a new diet from bodybuilding.com. Its a cutting diet aimed at taking in virtually no carbohydrates. He claims after 4-5 days your body will go into ketosis and start burning fat for energy rather than using carbs. Ive been doing this diet for about a week and my friend just told me without carbs post workout im going to lose muscle. Is this true? Would a carb based supplement such as dark matter fix this?

Diet is here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5899101

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:14 pm 

I am no expert on the subject, but from what I've heard through various sources (including this forum) as long as you are consuming adequate protein with your high fat diet (which is pretty simple if you think about it), you'll make up for the ketosis on it. But make sure you're still eating plenty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:38 pm 

You don't need the carb supplement. It could be detrimental at this stage. The author seems to be a little spooked about saturated fats. They may actually have benefits so don't worry about them. Don't bother with the extra egg whites, just eat whole eggs. Lean meat is not needed, just avoid processed meats. It's best to get a variety, chicken, pork, beef and fish. The author is right to emphasize omega 3 but as long as you minimize the omega 6, that's not a big deal.

In this article, the author is suggesting high protein and moderate fats. I generally recommend moderate protein and high fats. He may see a benefit in a cutting diet but this is not a long term healthy diet. Since he's promoting this as a cutting diet (contest prep?), not a general fitness diet, my recommendations may be out of line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

thanks for the replies, whats your opinions on stimulants such as Liquid Clenbutrx combined with no shotgun and synthesize during workout, and then dark matter post workout? Am i playing with fire here stacking 2 stimulants?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:09 am 

If celebrities do it, it's probably dangerous or has short term effects or both. I'm not even going to read the article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:54 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

The linked post is just recommending no carb diet, but with one high carb meal per week. Doesn't seem particularly controversial if you're doing it short term, as he recommends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:54 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Theres really no need to go so low carb to get results, unless you're getting ready for a comp and need it in a hurry.

You can keep calories from carbs to around 15% Protein@25% and fat@60% as long as you eat clean unprocessed foods and get most of your carbs pre and post workout. Suppliment/eat plenty of Omega 3.

You should be burning fat gradually that way and is sustainable as long as you dont do stupid things like cardio! when you reach your disired body fat % just tweak some extra carbs in.