ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dietary Advice?
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:26 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I currently weigh is at about 255lbs, I'm 6' tall and I want to get down to 200lbs or there abouts as quick as possible, preferably by September when I get married.

For the last 3 weeks I have exercised everyday, doing cycling, weights, playing sports and genrally taking the hard way such as stairs instead of lifts. In this time I've gone form 269lbs to my current 255lbs.

Nutritionally I am having 2-3 Whey Protein Concentrate shakes a day and meals are normally 6" Chicken Strips Subway Sub with Lettuce, Tomato, Capsicum, Carrott, Onion and Honey Mustard no cheese for breakfast and lunch and probably a beef ravioli in tomato pasta sauce or steak with vegetables or chicken breast with vegetables for dinner, about 3 litres of water, 2-3 coffees with skim milk and no sugar and maybe 1 diet soft drink everyday (at last for the last 3 weeks). Occasionally I have a cheat with a chocolate or an egg and bacon roll in the morning. I have stopped eating after 8pm all together.

Basically I want to shed fat and build mucle which is relatively hard to do at the same time so I've sacraficed mas gains for strength gains.

Does anyone have any tips to help shed the pounds a little faster or at lest keep my current losses continuing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:41 am 
Novice
Novice

Some tips:

Limit your starchy carbs to breakfast (if necessary) and within 3 hours of intense workouts. The rest of the time get your carbs from fruits and veggies.

Keep a food log so you can determine exactly what's going in. Review your log and make adjustments every 2 weeks. As your body comp changes so will your caloric requirements, its a constant game of add this and cut back on that, based on what you want to accomplish.

Check out some the nutrition articles at t-nation.com, they've got some a really great info over there. Also check out their articles on Energy Flux and the like. The dietary guidlines on this site are sound as well. If your workout intesity is good and high then look to your diet and make adjustments there.

Make sure your are getting some fat and that the fats you are getting are balanced between Saturated, Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated. A good ratio of Omega 6 and 3s has been linked to increased fat burning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:32 pm 
First and foremost, no junk food!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:24 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Gee really guest? I was planning on a McDonalds only diet like in Supersize Me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:57 pm 
n00b
n00b

Other than the good fats as suggested, I would watch to make sure you are getting a decent amount of fiber, which can help with your weight loss goal cause it helps keep you full. Make sure to choose whole grain bread, pasta, etc. whenever possible.

Also you didn't mention any fruit in your diet, which would be a mistake I believe if you left it out just to keep the calories down. Adding a piece of fruit as a snack in between meals will not really hinder your goals.

Overall you're doing most of the right things. Hard to go wrong as long as you're staying away from the crap and drinking plenty of water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:50 pm 
You're eating your subs on whole wheat right? Other then that I would just say don't eat the ravioli. Unless of course you make it yourself with whole wheat dough, and you get the pasta sauce from Trader Joes or a whole food store where it hasn't had 10 pounds of sugar dumped into it. Mostly your diet looks good. Just remember the more you cheat, the slower it goes.

Go all out on the mass workout, your body will gain as much as it can. It won't be much because you are eating to cut, but it will be something, and it will help you burn fat. You are still heavy enough to where you're body isn't going to be all that stingy with fat yet. I would be surprised if you had trouble doing the gain/loose thing. You really shouldn't need to cycle or play with your carbs or anything like that yet.

I've been cutting in one way or another the whole time I've been doing this. I have gained an incredible ammount of muscle in the short time I've been at it. There's no reason why you or any other fat guy can't do the same. We can put on wait easy, that is the main reason we got fat. Use that to your advantage.

Final point, you've dropped 14 pounds of scale weight in 3 weeks. That could be as much 12 to 17 pounds of fat depending on muscle, bone and water. How much faster do you want to go? You can maybe clean it up more so you can eat more. But really though, that is about all the faster you should be dropping weight. Even 6 pounds of fat in 3 weeks is good and I'm sure you lost at least double that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:33 am 

jeffrerr, how's the weight loss coming? Did you reach your goal for your wedding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:38 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

To add in to Ironman's reply, gaining the muscle will help you shed more pounds by burning more calories. The more muscle you have, the more energy you use, and the more fat you burn. Building muscle burns fat, and lifting weights keeps burning calories for hours after your done lifting because the muscles stay hot, and calories are measure essentially in heat. Calories in scientific terms are measured in kcals, which has to do with how much heat one is producing.

I have actually read that cardio will burn calories only while one is exercising, whereas, as I said before, calories continue to burn for hors after one lifts. During the course of one of my classes, we were required to find out how many calories are burned during weightlifting, and with your bodyweight it is probably somewhere between 650 calories - 750 calories per hour, plus the additional calories that are burned even once your done lifting. To do that on an exercise bike, you would need to do that for 30-40 minutes at 15 mph, depending on your resistance. That's just for the initial calories burned, not for the extra calories. At 15 mph, one generally burns .097 calories per minute per pound biking, in case you wanted to figure it out yourself.