ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raw Eggs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:11 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Any of you guys eat raw eggs? I had my first today, I thought it would be allot worse but it wasn't all that bad.

I think i'm just going to start eating 4 raw eggs in the morning, I don't have time to cook them.

I'm somewhat worried of getting salmonella though and not exactly sure how an egg is contaminated. Is it because, when the hen is sick it contracts it to the egg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:25 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Don't know much about salmonella but I know my main training partner has raw eggs near enough every day. Another guy I train with told me that when he's on a night out and they go back to someones house, he has raw eggs with shots of vodka in it. mmmmm.

I've not had one yet. I can scamble eggs in minutes so i've never seen the need.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:34 am 

Why don't you just get up 10 minutes earlier?

http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/fo ... jan97d.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:28 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm a slow eater and i'm not used to getting up early. I just started school and all last year I was working nights, so i would get up around 10 am. Now i get up at like 7.

Also raw eggs has more nutrients than cooked, I know its not that big a deal but w/e.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:42 am 

I'm not sure of the nutrition, I don't think it matters. There is about a 1/30,000 change of getting a mild illness from raw eggs. I like the taste and they go great in smoothies. A few frozen berries, a banana, a few eggs, protein powder if you want, if you want carbs, some oats and milk. Blend it up and drink it. A couple of minutes and you're out the door.

Dr. Mercola encourages raw egg consumtion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:55 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I've been eating raw eggs, 4 every morning, sometimes 6(except weekends) for the past few weeks and nothing bad has happend. But after reading this study i'm wondering if eating raw eggs is pointless, or not worth it.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abs ... 28/10/1716

It says that we digest 90% of the protein when cooked and only 51% when eaten raw. They only tested this on 5 different people...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That has to do with the denaturing of protein, which is a well known thing. Less easily digestible protein sources like meat will provide more protein through cooking.

In fact the denatured protein of cooked meat is what is mainly responsible for evolution of large brains in the homo genus. In my opinion it is the reason we retained our molars, because tasting involves chewing, if we ate like other carnivores, taste wouldn't be a factor and cooking would not be widespread. Just an interesting side note on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:48 am 
n00b
n00b

Raw eggs are nothing special.

I used to have 6 raw ones a day + 6 whole ones.

I'd suggest that, unless its a busy day and you have to slurp an eggy shake down on the road, that you eat them cooked.

Raw eggs don't have the same thermogenic effect that cooked eggs have, and thus don't give you as big of a metabolic boost.

Raw eggs also give you an insulin spike because they're absorbed faster.

Again, it's no biggie, but cooked > raw when you have time. That's not to say that you should avoid raw eggs, but go for cooked when you can.