ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:40 am 

When browsing the Supplement aisle at Meijer last night, I noticed several Plain White labeled supplements. Basically, they were the Meijer Brand products.

I saw they had Protein, which compared to the Body Fortress product I currently use.

But, what peaked my interest most was the Creatine. Cost wise, it was the cheapest creatine powder on the shelves. It was the flavored powder (fruit Punch), but I didn't get a chance to truly compare it to anything else.

Now, I can't seem to find any more info on this particular powder online. Does anyone have any more info regarding it?

I know a couple here use the Biotest Product http://www.biotest.net/readTopic.do;jse ... id=1075898 But has anyone used the meijer product?

I have never used creatine before but obviously, I'm considering it. I just want to get the best bag for the buck, and ensure I use a quality product.

Currently, I use the following products..
Fish Oil - either 2000 or 2400 mg daily
Body Fortress Protein shake - 52g post workout, and ocassionally on non workout days to curb the appetite

Cliff

Last edited by wilburburns on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:19 pm 

OK, Maybe I should ask this question a slightly different way.

1: I can't seem to find much info regarding the Meijer Creatine Powder (Fruit Punch Flavor). BUT, I'm fairly confident it's not much different than the Six States or Body Fortress Creatine Mix as found at many Chain Stores. Basically, just Add Water and drink with a "Great" Fruit Punch Flavor.

2: This is completely different from the Biotest German Micronized Creatine, which has no flavoring, but should be mixed with some type of Juice drink. Could I just add this to my Post Workout Protein Shake, or does it really need to be in a sweetened drink, or chased with some type of sweetened drink.

3: I Like Simplicity. By this I mean I like the fact that I get home from working out, take my chilled shaker and 6oz of water out of the fridge dump 2 scoops of Body Fortress Protein powder in the shaker, shake and guzzle my shake.May drink a bit more water to rinse it all down. I don't need any other type of sweetener or flavoring.

This is likely why the fruit punch flavored creatine Powder/Mix appeal to me. I wouldn't have to think, just add water and go. But, I'm not sure I like the idea of needing to drink nearly 20oz of water immediately following a workout. This could be hard for me. If I could just ADD an unflavored Micronized Creatine of some sort to my existing Post Workout Drink, that might not be to bad.

4: I like the idea of buying Locally if possible. Currently, I have found the following products available at my local retail chains.
Body Fortress, Six States, ON, Flavored Creatine Mix (Fruit Punch)
ON, Pro Lab, Prima Force, Dymatize, etc Micronized Creatine, but haven't found Biotest.

I'm trying to figure this all out. Any help/advice is welcomed. Especially from those who currently are taking or have taken creatine in the past. As mentioned before, I have only ever taken protein powder and fish oil.

Thanks,
Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:32 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Creatine in my experience is flavorless - so doesn't matter. Creatine did nothing for me though, except maybe making me retain a little water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:42 pm 

frogbyte wrote:
Creatine in my experience is flavorless - so doesn't matter. Creatine did nothing for me though, except maybe making me retain a little water.

What doesn't matter about creating being tasteless? Please Explain a little more.

I have heard that Creatine does not work for everyone, but I have also heard that most who think it did work for them DID not Load as recommended. I don't personally know, but I'm interested in finding out if it will work for me.

I don't believe it to be a miracle supplement though.. I must still work hard and eat right..

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:17 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

You seemed worried about the flavor, which doesn't matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:14 pm 

Fair Enough. I did not intend to put that much emphasis on the Flavor. I intended to put more emphasis on the two different Creatine Options..

Creatine Mix - Already Flavored, Just add water

Pure Creatine - Should be mixed or taken with something else. Preferably a Sugary/Carb loaded liquid.

Quote:
BioTest Recommended mixing
DIRECTIONS: Mix one scoop (5 g) in 16 ounces of cold water that also contains one or more insulinogenic ingredients, such as essential amino acids, branched-chain amino acids, whey isolate, or grape juice. Drink immediately after mixing.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:07 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I took it with whey - it definitely got absorbed, based on slight weight gain when I cycled on, and increased thirst - just never really did anything noticeable to training. Might try it again some time, still have some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:08 pm 

Good to know..

Thanks,
Cliff