It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GOMAD
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

Gallon Of Milk A Day

That's WHOLE milk.

Of course it will add weight but surely so much of this will become body fat that it's best to stick to a more conventional diet? It does seem very excessive :ex: I am open minded actually, and I wonder what people's thoughts are on this diet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:50 pm 

For skinny teenagers it's a way to get in quality calories. Most skinny teens are not used to eating enough to actually support significant muscle growth. This allows that to happen. If you are not a skinny teen, you might want to reconsider this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:42 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

If you can digest the milk, it'll work. I mean, a GOMAD is:

Calories: 2,342 kcals
Fat: 126.9 grams
Carbohydrates: 176.5 grams
Protein: 125.7 grams
And more than 4 grams of calcium and 5.5 grams of potassium.

Chuck that on top of 2000-2500 calories of whole foods of any mix, and you're going to be taking in 4300 to 4800 calories a day, including at least 125.7 grams of high-quality complete protein. It's a very easy way to eat 4500 calories - trust me, doing it with just whole foods and shakes, with NO milk, is a lot harder. I eat 4500 calories a day right now and it's like homework. If I could drink the milk, I would, because it's just easier.

If you need to get in a lot of calories to support a hard workout routine while bulking up, it's hard to see how 2342 liquid calories a day is not going to help. You'll probably get some fat, especially if you aren't lifting hard or eat too much other food, but most of what I've read seems to suggest your gains will be surprisingly lean. I can't vouch for it, I've got a mild milk allergy I discovered by repeatedly trying to do GOMAD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:58 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm going to GOMAD next sunday, i've been sick for 3 weeks but I feel better now, finally.

I'll measure my weight before and after, I weigh around 150 right now, maybe less.

It's going to be really expensive though.... around 6 bucks a day 168$ a month lol.

I'll only do this for a few months though so w/e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:09 am 

It's not the only way to add a lot of calories. Adding a dozen eggs + 1/2 gallon of milk might work as well. Really, any good source of protein and fat. Most of the reason for the milk was that it's cheap. If it's not cheap, like in Canada, you might want to look for alternatives. Every now and then you can find large cans of Salmon on sale really cheap. Buy it by the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:39 am 

Right now i'm on 3-6 pints of whole milk per day. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. When it's less, it's normally replaced with full fat yogurt. I eat loads of yogurt and/or drink loads of milk. It's not quite GOMAD, though. I already eat pretty well but life (and some kind of Ulcer or something) got in the way recently so I just said 'screw it' and went on the milk and yogurt to make up the deficit quickly. Was supposed to be a short term fix but i'm loving it. I also generally eat around 6-12 eggs per day but it depends.

One thing I can say is, Saturated Fat makes you feel amazing.

Don't worry about body fat unless it gets out of control. If it does it won't happen over night so just keep an eye on it. Also, you need your intake to be 'excessive' not only to gain weight but to also perform well in the gym. I've had my calories at a 'sweet spot' for ages now but after throwing the rule book out the window and eating loads more, i've felt amazing in training, hitting various PR's. I've decided to keep it going until around February.

The leaner you are the weaker you are.. Just eat lots, get strong, THEN worry about getting cut/ripped/jacked/swole/tanned/shaved/whatever....:lol:

Of course if you have the discipline, getting 'excessive' calories from mostly lean protein sources and veggies, with occasional grains thrown in still with a high fat intake, then you'll do even better.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:42 am 

If you're going to do GOMAD, I highly recommend shopping around for milk. Here in the US, the cheapest places seem to be Costco and Walmart. Even a small price difference will add up if you're going to drink a gallon a day.

In the UK, I have no idea what it costs...might want to do the Dozen Eggs Breakfast instead. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:21 am 

KPj wrote:
...om mostly lean protein sources and veggies, ...

Why do people keep recommending "Lean" protein sources, especially in the same post than recommends high fat and specifically saturated fats. Don't go with "lean" protein unless you're making beef jerky. You want the fattiest cuts of meat you can find. Of course you want pastured, humanely raised meat instead of crap from confined animal operations but that goes for milk and eggs too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:20 am 

Maybe i'm confused on what would be classed as 'Lean'.

I was recommending both the GOMAD idea as well as more of PN idea (lean protein and veggies, mostly). Both the theories do clash. With a GOMAD type diet you get far more carbs and loads in the form of lactos. I would consider it a far more wreckless way of getting bigger but deffinitly a much easier way. A PN style diet calls for lots of chicken, turkey, beef, egg whites, etc which I would class as 'lean' as well as LOADS of veggies. However, it's not a low fat diet (they are very 'pro fat' and also happen to recommend lean protein sources). A GOMAD style diet will be far higher in saturated fat than any other fat... It's good if you want to get a higher fat intake but don't care about balancing out the other types of fat. Not that i'm saying that's a bad thing but it's a significant difference betweem the 2 approaches.

Also, I was simply saying that a high Saturated fat intake makes you feel great and hinted that GOMAD will give you lots of Saturated Fat. I wasn't recommending that we go after Saturated Fat like it's the only fat or nutrient that we should care about and therefore everything you eat should have as much Saturated Fat in it as possible. Also, I don't believe recommending lean protein would inturn mean you recommend low/no saturated fat but, correct me if i'm wrong....

I don't think you need to drink tonnes of milk or eat tonnes of yogurt to get a lot of fat intake. You can still do it with 'lean' protein sources i.e. PN. Meats that aren't lean are meats I would class as 'processed' such as a lot of, but deffinitly not all, bacon and sausage which, over here atleast, is a typical source of protein for a lot of people...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:37 am 

To me "lean" means "low fat". I guess maybe PN uses the term "lean" to differentiate real meat from processed meats. I agree that proceesed meats are less healthy than real meat. I don't think the unhealthness of the processed meat comes from the fat though. It comes from the additives and garbage that's in with the meat. Sorry to get off on a tangent. This isn't really about GOMAD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:52 am 

stuward wrote:
To me "lean" means "low fat". I guess maybe PN uses the term "lean" to differentiate real meat from processed meats.

Yeah, seems like it.

Anyway, I do recommend GOMAD. I think it hits home on a couple of points.... One being, Saturated Fat is good, two being, you need to eat BIG to lift/get big... Many people think they eat a lot when they actually don't... Aslong as you monitor body fat, not letting it get too out of hand, then I think GOMAD is a good plan.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:31 pm 

pdellorto wrote:
In the UK, I have no idea what it costs...might want to do the Dozen Eggs Breakfast instead. ;)

I normally get 2 2L bottles for [1 million dollars] which would be just under a gallon. You could probably get it slightly cheaper, not much though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:38 pm 
Novice
Novice

KPj wrote:
PN idea

Meaning? :con:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:19 pm 

toby123 wrote:
KPj wrote:
PN idea

Meaning? :con:

PN = Precision Nutrition (John Berardi)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:08 pm 

As far as I can tell, the PN folks use "lean" to mean cuts of meat with minimal fat. Sort of like "96% lean" beef is 4% fat, so it's a lean cut. It's effectively lower fat, but it's not "low fat."