ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:39 am 
Novice
Novice

Hello, i dont know if anyone of you has the same feeling, but since i started a low-carb diet i feel sometimes a "pinch" on my kidneys. It doesnt hurt i just feel a little sting and thats all. Just wanted to ask if that might lead to a serious problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:42 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Probably tapeworms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

Shall i laugh now, because u were joking or shall i whine now because u meant it serious oO?^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:07 pm 

It could be anything. The most likely cause of abdominal pain is the bowels. Changing your diet will have an effect that could cause some pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:49 pm 

Sometimes the excess iron, especially if you're eating a lot of iron rich meats, has a hurting factor on the stomach. I have found that if I mostly consume poultry and seafood, I stay relatively pain free. It's when I mix in pork and beef that I have problems with eating low carb. Oh and make sure your carbs you are eating have some fiber in them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:59 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Joking, since any response would be wildly speculative. Fiber is key, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:44 pm 

I doubt that the feeling you are having is significant. There is very little that can go wrong with both kidneys at the same time. And I can't imagine anything that can cause a pinching feeling can result from low-carb eating. Also, pains in the abdomen are often not well-localized. If I were you, I'd just try to ignore the feeling, unless it becomes severe and persistent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:37 am 
Novice
Novice

Its not only on the front side, i feel it sometimes beside my rectus abdominal, sometimes on a side of of my lower back and sometimes between my second rib and my third. Sometimes on my left sometimes on my right.... i also forgot to mention that i had a relatively high carb nutrition. Could it be the sudden change?
Edit: It seems obvious that this strange pinching comes from my kidneys

Thx for your answers

Jeannay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Look at an anatomy chart. All the places you name sound exactly like where your large intestines are. You are having bowel issues because of the change in diet. It is temporary.

Further if there was something effecting your kidneys it would have to have been something chronic that has been going on for some time.

This is another example of automatically assuming a cause and effect relationship with a coincidence, with no evidence at all.

Low carb diets require increased fluid intake. That will certainly effect the bowels. Some fiber rich green veggies are a good idea too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One thing I thought of. The fact that you used the word "pinching". Have you noticed any soft spots in those areas, like something bulging out? It would be something that you can push in but it pops back out. I thought of this because "pinching" is how people describe lower abdominal hernias. This is where intestines poke through the abdominal wall. A lot of times they aren't really a big deal unless you get that pinching feeling. Or at least that's what I remember about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:11 am 
Novice
Novice

No i havent noticed any soft spots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Than I would say it is temporary constipation and/or intestinal cramping due to sudden drastic change in diet. It should be decreasing in intensity by now and eventually will go away all together.