ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:06 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I hadn't even heard of CLA until recently, but it seems similar to Omega 3 (which I do supplement), in that it's important for almost everything (fat loss, anti-inflammation, cell growth, immune system), and yet our modern diet may not have enough. Anyone taking it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:11 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Isn't CLA, the good trans fat? From dairy and meat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:50 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Yeah, though seemingly it's minimized by all the lamely grain-fed animals we encounter nowadays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:15 pm 

The only way to get it in any quantity is with pastured or wild meat and eggs. Supplements don't seem to offer any value. For people on an otherwise diet CLA can help reduce body fat.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/130/12/2943

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:19 pm 

CLA can be beneficial, help to retain muscle while dropping bodyfat, the needed amount per day is 3.4 grams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:22 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

You're saying supplements might not do any good if I'm already getting >3.4g a day, per that study? But currently I have no idea if I'm anywhere close to that, since food doesn't label CLA content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:38 am 

If you're eating factory meat, you probably aren't getting enough. If you're eating pastured meat, you probably are. If you don't have access to pastured meat, eggs or dairy you may want to consider supplements but it may not make much difference.

It appears that CLA promotes muscle growth and prevents fat gain in healthy people but it's a small effect. Most take supplements hoping for dramatic results. That's not going to happen. It makes sense to me to just eat the healthiest food you can get and you will get enough naturally.

http://www.webmd.com/news/20060310/stud ... pounds-off
http://www.mercola.com/beef/cla.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:09 pm 

frogbyte wrote:
You're saying supplements might not do any good if I'm already getting >3.4g a day, per that study? But currently I have no idea if I'm anywhere close to that, since food doesn't label CLA content.

Going way above the recommended amount for CLA I believe can lead to a very strong gross body odor, it is possible you will achieve better results though. I might be wrong about the odor it has been a while since I've read up on CLA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:32 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I've been buying those Omega-3 eggs recently. As for meat I buy "grass-fed" when it's available, but the problem is that there's no certification process for what grass-fed means. They could be eating -some- grass, but getting the majority of their intake from corn for all I know.

Also I don't recall ever seeing grass-fed cheese, but I'll look around next time at the store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:39 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

frogbyte wrote:
As for meat I buy "grass-fed" when it's available, but the problem is that there's no certification process for what grass-fed means. They could be eating -some- grass, but getting the majority of their intake from corn for all I know.

That's an issue i'm having, too. Even the famed 'Aberdeen Angus' beef isn't 100% grassfed. I really like Aberdeen angus steaks as well. Can't wait to one day try true grassfed beef.

I don't think it would ever come from a big farm/business/supplier/whatever. It would be a small farm/business/whatever. Breeding cattle on 100% grass would just see you getting priced out the market and, as far as I am also aware - have less production overall, and less often.

So, where the hell do you find these grassfed animals? I've still to find out. I WILL find some, though. One day....

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:20 pm 

In Nova Scotia there are a number of small farmers that grass finish their cows. There is no substitute for talking to the farmer and asking. One farmer I spoke to said that he used to grain finish his beef as that was the normal practice but people have been asking for all grass fed beef so he stopped. The cows are now a little smaller at butcher time but his costs are down due to lower feed costs. It works out even for him. The farmer's markets almost always have grass fed beef available. I think the price is marked up though. I buy a side at a time to save money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:24 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I went to numerous butchers and they didnt even know what grass fed was...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:25 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Did they know what a cow was?

So far I'm not seeing a big red flag for supplementing CLA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:11 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

frogbyte, lol ya they knew what a cow was but it was like they don't even know what cows eat. All thier meat was advertised with, "grain fed," or "corn fed."

It was really only a couple butchers thougs, and I did find one with grass fed but they have a very short supply and were out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:24 pm 

Call me cynical, but I do not trust organic, free range, cage free, grass fed, etc, unless like Stuward says, you actually buy from farmers markets or approach the grower or butcher yourself. I once had a bigwig from some corporation staying at my hotel telling me most companies vie for the titles just for profits and will try to find any way to circumvent and get the label. For instance, cage free meaning that they are let out of their cages for 5 mins a day and things like that. I don't know if its the truth, but I've never had anyone tell me otherwise or that there is a rigorous process that must be followed for get the labels.