ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:02 am 

Rucifer wrote:
Call me cynical, but I do not trust organic, free range, cage free, grass fed, etc, unless like Stuward says, you actually buy from farmers markets or approach the grower or butcher yourself. I once had a bigwig from some corporation staying at my hotel telling me most companies vie for the titles just for profits and will try to find any way to circumvent and get the label. For instance, cage free meaning that they are let out of their cages for 5 mins a day and things like that. I don't know if its the truth, but I've never had anyone tell me otherwise or that there is a rigorous process that must be followed for get the labels.

I don't know if you've read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" but it talks a lot about "Organic" and organic. Big Agra has bastardized the term and it's far from what is ideal. It may be better than we are used to but it's still factory food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:18 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

"Organic" is a regulated term, requiring independent certification, so you can put some trust in it, within the bounds of usual human error. "Free range", "cage free", "grass fed" are all unregulated, so what they mean is up in the air. Another very popular unregulated one you left off is "natural."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:33 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Best to check the farm. I can go meet the cows before I buy my grass-fed and grass-finished meat, if I want to. I choose not to because it's a long drive, but that's good enough for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:44 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I just noticed there's an exrx page on this! Surprisingly it has very poor google juice: http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Supplemen ... cAcid.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:02 am 
Novice
Novice

According to wikipidia kangaroo meat "may have the highest concentration of CLA".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

If you are in the US and looking for a good source of organic grass fed meat then you might want to check out US Wellness Meats online. I have checked them out and are very good quality.

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:56 pm 

KPj wrote:
frogbyte wrote:
As for meat I buy "grass-fed" when it's available, but the problem is that there's no certification process for what grass-fed means. They could be eating -some- grass, but getting the majority of their intake from corn for all I know.

That's an issue i'm having, too. Even the famed 'Aberdeen Angus' beef isn't 100% grassfed. I really like Aberdeen angus steaks as well. Can't wait to one day try true grassfed beef.

I don't think it would ever come from a big farm/business/supplier/whatever. It would be a small farm/business/whatever. Breeding cattle on 100% grass would just see you getting priced out the market and, as far as I am also aware - have less production overall, and less often.

So, where the hell do you find these grassfed animals? I've still to find out. I WILL find some, though. One day....

KPj
There's loads of organic farms round the central belt that'll deliver grass fed organic beef to you. Problem is it's super expensive. They do veg and dairy too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:00 pm 

robertscott wrote:
Problem is it's super expensive

QFT
I would love to eat grass fed beef, but the reality is that I cant afford to. So at least for now, its store bought beef and fishoil to compensate for the omega 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:09 pm 

I get my ground grass-fed beef for $5.50 a pound from a local farm. It's a big hike up to the farm, but worth it for the meat. It just tastes better.

It's not technically "organic" because they don't use an organic butcher, etc. But they're fed on pesticide-free pastures, so I don't care so much about the label.