ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:38 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi All,

Just a quick questions with regards to whey "shakes" and their proper usage.

The rough calc that I know is 2grams per 1kg body weight (during the growth phase) and obviously to o that I would need to eat lots of food so the whey seems to be the generally acceptable manner.

my basic meal plan looks like this (on training days)
shake - whey suppliment

wake up 05h00
shake
routine 05h25
shake

breakfast 07h00
shake 10h30
lunch
shake 15h30
supper 18h00
shake (at some stage before sleep)

Now, on off trainig days (I do a 3 day split)
I only cut out my wake up shake

Am I overdoing the protein (can one overdo it)?

Also: If this question should be in the general section pls let me know for future reference, I am pretty new to this forum thing and would like to adhere to the correct protocols - Tx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:12 am 

You should be getting most of your protein from real food. The shakes should be just for augmentation. Timing of the shakes are not critical, although morning and evening is common. The key timing is your post workout meal. You want your carbs with protein at that time, so mix up a shake to take to the gym with you. If you're trying to bulk, take 2 and sip on 1 during the workout and have another after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:43 am 

And just to say one more thing on protein intakes.

Your requirement of protein is actually HIGHER while cutting weight, so keep that in mind if you ever go that route.

Also, 2g per kg shouldn't be too much to handle. 4oz of chicken is 22 grams of protein, which is typically the equivalent of one scoop of protein, so simply try replacing those shakes with a chicken breast :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:46 pm 

chicken breasts are so expensive here to eat on a regular basis especially being a student. I've just stocked up on whey for this term and gonna eat as much as humanly possible when I get back home in spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:25 am 

Look for sales of canned fish. Tuna, salmon, sardines are all good sources of protein, and an added bonus, to various degrees, they're high in Omega 3, vitamin D and Calcium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:06 am 
n00b
n00b

I don't go beyond 3 shakes a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:26 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I boight some whey powder but it was nasty.

Way prefer to cook 3 breasts of chicken on the George Foreman (pretty cheap). then I cut them in half and each is about 80 cals of high protein.

Eggwhites rock too and I mix all kinds of veggies (huge amounts of celery, shrooms, onions, peppers sauteed in Teflon pan) into my scramble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:05 pm 

This is a lot of chicken breast.

If you are 220 lb. that is 100 kg so 200 g of protein that is 9+ chicken breast per day.

In addition to that, and I will try to find this article, it was found that you don't really absorb more than 20g of protein per meal which means you would have to eat 10 meals per day to get 200g which is too much for me :).

Not to say protein is not better than fat/ carbs but if you are on a budget, I don't see why you can't fill it with something else since you really are not getting the benefits of that much protein unless perhaps you are Ronnie Coleman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:30 pm 

I thought that 'only absorbing X amount of protein a meal' was a myth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:06 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I think you can use more than 20g of protein, but that some recent studies have shown that more than 20g of protein doesn't contribute to muscle gain. I don't have time ATM to dig around and find it, but I know there was a Precision Nutrition blog post about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:21 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I thought that after a workout the body would absorb more protein then just on a regular day.

And if you eat it slowly and with a lot of fat to slow digestion, you could absorb more, that podcast with Dr. Eric Serrano on this site mentioned it I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:05 pm 

Jebus wrote:
I thought that after a workout the body would absorb more protein then just on a regular day.

And if you eat it slowly and with a lot of fat to slow digestion, you could absorb more, that podcast with Dr. Eric Serrano on this site mentioned it I think.
That is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:01 am 

I was referring to this

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... ut_protein

It does say 20 g for protein synthesis.

Not sure about mixing with other nutrients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:35 am 

pdellorto wrote:
I think you can use more than 20g of protein, but that some recent studies have shown that more than 20g of protein doesn't contribute to muscle gain. I don't have time ATM to dig around and find it, but I know there was a Precision Nutrition blog post about it.

I don't buy it at all.

Can people honestly tell me that a 250lbs powerlifter or bodybuilder can 'absorb' the same amount of protein as, say, a 140lbs badminton player? It defies common sense...

Also, low carb diets become impossible going by the 20g per sitting logic, once you get above 3000 calories per day, unless you eat every hour.

Here's the PN blog post, I have it bookmarked

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/protein-limit

The main point, I think is that absorbing protein as new lean muscle tissue is not the only reason we eat protein.

For me, and i've said it before here I believe - I eat a sh*t load of protein and have done for years. Nothing 'bad' has happened yet. My toilet habbits are pretty much spot on, too, you know, encase anyone wonders. It's been this way for a few years now so, maybe after some more time i'll turn into the incredible hulk or something but, i'll take my chances...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:44 am 

That also flys in the face of paleo/primal nutrition. People practicing this type of lifestyle often only eat 2-3 times a day. They eat a lot of protein and are, on the whole, leaner and more muscular that the general population. They must be absorbing more that 20g/meal. Just remember that figures lie and liers figure. Any one can tell a little lie but to tell a really big one, you need statistics.