ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canned fish
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:00 pm 

The to or to not supplement topic got me thinking...I am trying to do all I can to avoid supplements (I am just stubborn I know), and have thought of a way to at least add something I think my normal diet is lacking. I have decided to add 3 cans of fish (tuna or salmon probably just cause they are cheaper) per day to my diet because I've read they are a pretty good natural source of creatine, fish oils (duh), and protein (duh as well). I am only a little concerned due to the fact that I have heard high amounts of fish is not good due to mercury content. Is this justified? Should I try not to eat this much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:08 pm 

If you do, mix it up. White tuna has the highest mercury. Salmon, herring, tuna, mackerel, etc all have different nutrients and contaminants. You can mitigate any risk by getting a little of each rather than all the same. There's may be no harm in 1-2 cans a day and 3 may be ok if you're not pregnant.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... e&dbid=103

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:27 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
White tuna has the highest mercury.

Interesting....I just bought some albacore tuna from Sams the other day. I was growing tired of the same ole regular tuna. The tuna was even getting a tad smelly and whiter than usual....weird. I figure it was time for a change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:40 pm 

It's not as bad as shark and swordfish but among canned fish it's probably the largest and oldest living fish, hence, higher mercury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:57 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Canned tuna has mercury in significant enough quantities that you might want to avoid eating it every day.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium keeps tabs on this stuff and produces useful "pocket guides" that show which seafood is okay, bad, worse, etc.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/download.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jml wrote:
Canned tuna has mercury in significant enough quantities that you might want to avoid eating it every day.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium keeps tabs on this stuff and produces useful "pocket guides" that show which seafood is okay, bad, worse, etc.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/download.aspx

The problem with that is they got different results in all their samples. So it's not very conclusive. I still wouldn't eat it every day though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:55 pm 

Is the mercury contained in seafood a result of pollution or human effects, or does it naturally just occur in the sea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:55 pm 

The heat and pressure involved in the canning process basically destroys the omega 3 content (can't think of a better word!) which is why fresh fish is one of the best sources.

Edit: I knew this was the case for tuna, but here's some info for other fish.

Quote:
Salmon, sardines, mackerel, trout and pilchards all count as oily fish when they're canned and when they're fresh. This is because the canning process doesn't significantly reduce the fat content of the fish.

Fresh tuna is an oily fish, high in fatty acids. But when it's canned, these fatty acids are reduced to levels similar to white fish. This is because tuna is cooked before it’s canned and most of the oil is lost during this process. So, although canned tuna is a healthy choice for most people, it doesn't count as oily fish.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/health ... q/#A221141