ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:46 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Since we've had a few, um, 'interesting' discussions here about Obesity, I thought I would post the following.

http://markyoungtrainingsystems.com/201 ... anagement/

I discovered this blog a few months ago and I really enjoy reading it. The above is a summary/notes from an Obesity conference. I thought it was really interesting and thought I would share.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:18 am 

few surprises for me there:

1. "Depression can cause cravings for carbohydrates which increase serotonin. Screen and treat for depression when necessary."

2. "The incedence of previous sexual abuse is very high in obesity."

3. "The higher the BMI, the greater chance of having a history of mental health issues."

pretty crazy those three things i thought. And i liked this one too

"One presenter said that gastric bypass was “the real solution to childhood obesity because nothing else really works”. He was a giant dink."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:10 am 

I like this quote:
Quote:
The total number of obese people in North America is levelling off. However, the number of people with class 3 obesity is growing.

To me that means most people are "getting it" but those that don't "get it" are still getting worse. Most people that are not getting to stage 1 are in the majority and probably don't require, and therefore don't follow, conventional treatments. The ones that do reach stage 1 are more likely to get conventional treatments and are therefore more likely to escalate to class 3.

From something I read recently, it's been noticed that older people are having a harder time of getting in shape because they continue to believe the old low fat propoganda and think they are eating healthy but the problem must be somewhwere else. They are less likely to "get it" and therefore less likely to ever improve.

Of course I'm biased and probably out to lunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:00 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I think people generally are able to research things more now too - Decent message boards and information sources always demand sources and evidense where as before the most confident/popular person was likely followed. The here-say $h1t the poisoned the world pre-internet is so readily dismissed on the net that unless you can come up with a good source/research dont bother giving your random "facts" out.

Hopefully facts/evidence will prevail more and more....

And my mother will stop assuming things she hears off council estate moms is anything but made up chinese whispered madness (informed her of low carb diet, promptly told that you can die off it and it should only be for two weeks - Bad news Stuward, seems your doomed *gasp*)

"Body weight is related more to “screen time” than to the amount of exercise you do. In other words, turn off the computer and television."
oh nose! best quit gym and drop the tv/pc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:14 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Gastric bypass surgery at 9? Wow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:01 pm 

By adulthood a lot have solidified their eating habits, whether good or bad, without of course some drastic outside influence in their lives pushing them in one direction (such as a nutritional wakeup call or a tragic event causing them to eat a lot more). I can believe that for the most part its staying the same for adults (even though its high)- what's scarier is the kid part. They will eventually become adults, and even those who are thin kids now but eating crap will blow up once that kid metabolism runs out. It's gonna be one fat country in about 30 years.

Also the divorce part was funny, considering I read somewhere that if your partner starts losing a lot of weight and worrying about their physica appearance, it could be a sign they are losing interest in you!

Last edited by Rucifer on Tue May 18, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:11 pm 
n00b
n00b

Rucifer wrote:
I can believe that for the most part its staying the same for adults (even though its high)- what's scarier is the kid part. They will eventually become adults, and even those who are thin kids now but eating crap will blow up once that kid metabolism runs out. It's gonna be one fat country in about 30 years.

Exactly. A lot of kids get away with terrible diets that translate into obesity in adulthood or, as the article shows, early in the teen years. It seems like knowledge about proper nutrition simply isn't a priority. I think much of these people will become so overweight they start to consider themselves a "lost cause." I've known some people like this who say they would lose weight but they don't even know how to start because they essentially need to lose a person's worth of weight.