ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 am
Posts: 778
I'm waiting to move away from my obsession with diet soda, however, I'm a caffeine-based being. I don't function well without it.

I've switched over to black coffee in the mornings rather than soda, simply because I know there are some benefits from coffee drinking.

However, I'd like to start consuming Green Tea for the obvious abundance of health benefits.

I know that pre-bottled stuff tends to not be 'real' green tea and loses a lot of it's benefits.

Are there any pre-bottled brands that are good? (ie without artificial sweetners, which is what I'm getting away from)

Are there any home-brewed brands that are really good from the grocery store?

This is really an entirely new area for me, so any help from those of you who drink it regularly would be greatly appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:33 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 3984
You do realize everything you hear about diet soda is nothing but urban legend and junk science studies set up by front companies backed by the sugar industry right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:34 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6401
Location: Halifax, NS
Take some hot water and throw in a tea bag. Why do you need a bottle?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:55 am 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:46 pm
Posts: 1455
Avoiding artificial sweeteners is admirable - you might try green tea powders or other greens powders that don't even have to be brewed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:20 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 am
Posts: 778
Ironman wrote:
You do realize everything you hear about diet soda is nothing but urban legend and junk science studies set up by front companies backed by the sugar industry right?


No, I didn't. So it's not as bad as I hear constantly?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:21 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 am
Posts: 778
stuward wrote:
Take some hot water and throw in a tea bag. Why do you need a bottle?


I'm usually on campus most of the day, which is 30mins from home, so if I was able to get something on the fly it would be better.

If artificial sweetners really aren't bad for you though, it's not really a problem, I can stick with diet soda.

Anyone have any studies I could read on it? I just assumed. And you know what that does. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:27 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6401
Location: Halifax, NS
NightFaLL wrote:
Ironman wrote:
You do realize everything you hear about diet soda is nothing but urban legend and junk science studies set up by front companies backed by the sugar industry right?


No, I didn't. So it's not as bad as I hear constantly?


Cancer risks are overblown but there may be metabolic considerations. I think the Cancer concerns stem from the Cyclamate issue in the 70s and now all artificial sweeteners are distrusted. From a metabolic point of view. it's certainly far better than sugar, but may not stem sugar craving and therefore indirectly contribute to excess carb consumption. That's my opinion.

If you're thirsty, drink water, if you're hungry, eat real food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:31 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 226
stuward wrote:
If you're thirsty, drink water, if you're hungry, eat real food.


with the exception of a jagerbomb or 6 at 3:00 in the morning on a Saturday I couldn't agree more.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:34 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6401
Location: Halifax, NS
NightFaLL wrote:
stuward wrote:
Take some hot water and throw in a tea bag. Why do you need a bottle?


I'm usually on campus most of the day, which is 30mins from home, so if I was able to get something on the fly it would be better.

If artificial sweetners really aren't bad for you though, it's not really a problem, I can stick with diet soda.

Anyone have any studies I could read on it? I just assumed. And you know what that does. :(


http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... sweeteners


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:34 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6401
Location: Halifax, NS
frigginwizard wrote:
stuward wrote:
If you're thirsty, drink water, if you're hungry, eat real food.


with the exception of a jagerbomb or 6 at 3:00 in the morning on a Saturday I couldn't agree more.


Common sense has to prevail :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:45 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 am
Posts: 778
I guess I'll just stick with diet.

I don't have issues with will power when it comes to carbs/sugary things, I just love caffeine/carbonated beverages, it's really my only 'vice' if you could call it that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:47 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm
Posts: 4424
frigginwizard wrote:
stuward wrote:
If you're thirsty, drink water, if you're hungry, eat real food.


with the exception of a jagerbomb or 6 at 3:00 in the morning on a Saturday I couldn't agree more.


that's my kind of nutrition advice!

does green tea contain caffeine?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:09 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 am
Posts: 778
robertscott wrote:
frigginwizard wrote:
stuward wrote:
If you're thirsty, drink water, if you're hungry, eat real food.


with the exception of a jagerbomb or 6 at 3:00 in the morning on a Saturday I couldn't agree more.


that's my kind of nutrition advice!

does green tea contain caffeine?


From what I've read, some. Not nearly as much as coffee or soda, though.

It's like 35mg per cup, compared to coffee which ranges around 100mg and sodas which are typically 60-80.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:13 pm 
Offline
Associate Member
Associate Member

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:21 pm
Posts: 397
Location: Florida panhandle
frigginwizard wrote:
stuward wrote:
If you're thirsty, drink water, if you're hungry, eat real food.


with the exception of a jagerbomb or 6 at 3:00 in the morning on a Saturday I couldn't agree more.


Hahaha.....glad I have the jager bug out of my system.....that was a couple months of wicked hangovers! Now to work on the crown bug.... :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:42 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm
Posts: 4424
NightFaLL wrote:
robertscott wrote:
frigginwizard wrote:
stuward wrote:
If you're thirsty, drink water, if you're hungry, eat real food.


with the exception of a jagerbomb or 6 at 3:00 in the morning on a Saturday I couldn't agree more.


that's my kind of nutrition advice!

does green tea contain caffeine?


From what I've read, some. Not nearly as much as coffee or soda, though.

It's like 35mg per cup, compared to coffee which ranges around 100mg and sodas which are typically 60-80.


hmmm caffeine at night messes up my sleeping but i want to start drinking green tea.

chuck norris drinks it so there must be something there


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group