ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non-milk based protein
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:56 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good non-milk based protein?

I've been suffering from allergic reactions lately, so I'm thinking of swapping out all of my dairy-based proteins for a while to see if that makes a difference.

I'm familiar with egg, soy, pea, hemp, and rice proteins...but I'm hoping to avoid doing a big True Protein order until after I've tried a few of them. Anyone have a good brand recommendation? I'd like to be able to go out to the store and pick something up to try.

Even if it turns out it's not a protein-related problem, I would like to have some more options handy for my Pre- and Post-workout shakes.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:51 pm 

i have a bad dairy allergy, and when i asked this exact question i was told "eat more chicken".

I'M THE SAME WAY, don't want to pay for something that might end up sucking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:45 am 

I ordered some Nutribiotic vegan rice protein online. It should arrive tomorrow, and I'll start using it later in the week.

It's still not clear what is causing my allergic reactions but I don't see the harm in trying rice protein for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:26 am 

You might try small qtys to see what you like. You might try desicated liver as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:47 am 

pdellorto wrote:
I ordered some Nutribiotic vegan rice protein online. It should arrive tomorrow, and I'll start using it later in the week.

It's still not clear what is causing my allergic reactions but I don't see the harm in trying rice protein for a while.
let me know how it works for you. on that true protein site i also saw beef isolate which looked interesting.

allergies to dairy can just happen. mine came on because i was eating a lot of dairy when i decided to stop eating meat. after a year of a high dairy diet, i started getting uncomfortable skin rashes on my arms, legs, head, and other "extremities". stopped eating dairy and it's all good now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:33 pm 

I saw the beef protein isolate, but I dunno...it seems like it would be just drinking dried bits of antibiotic-filled feedlot cows. I don't eat that at all.

Dessicated liver sounds interesting. What is it? It sounds like it would taste awful in a shake, no matter how much I like calf's liver. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:04 pm 

stuward wrote:
You might try small qtys to see what you like. You might try desicated liver as well.

Bleurgh! Dessicated liver? Like a beef smoothie? Eurgh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:51 pm 

It's sold in capsules.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/liver.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:48 pm 

oh right, i thought it was like when you get packets of dessicated coconut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:13 pm 

So the Nutribiotic rice protein is not so bad. The taste is kinda flat, and it sure as heck doesn't like to mix smoothly - it's kind of gritty.

But it's getting the job done in terms of being a non-milk based protein for my shakes. We'll see how it holds up long-term.

Next time I order from true protein I'll try pea protein too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 pm 

Do you have the same problem with whey isolates? It supposedly bypasses the problems. Try Isopure's stuff.

If that doesn't work try some beef jerky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:24 pm 

hoosegow wrote:
Do you have the same problem with whey isolates? It supposedly bypasses the problems. Try Isopure's stuff.

If that doesn't work try some beef jerky.
i've never tried whey isolates but it all comes from dairy so i'm very hesitant on it. plus i don't want to spend like $25 on something that might go to waste....you know?

too bad i can't find a place that sells single servings of it, and will let me buy 3-4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:38 pm 

Sorry, I don't remember where you live. I can pick up a bottle at almost any nutrition store. I think ABS makes a similar product.

I did a quick google search and this was the first thing that came up. Bare in mind it is from the Whey Protein Institue so it might be a little biased:

http://www.wheyoflife.org/faq.cfm#19

Q: If I'm lactose intolerant should I avoid whey protein?

A: Individuals with lactose intolerance should select a pure whey protein isolate, which has less than 0.1 gram of lactose per tablespoon (20 grams). This is less lactose than the amount found in a cup of yogurt and research has shown that most people with lactose intolerance have no trouble taking this very small amount of lactose. Individuals with lactose intolerance should avoid whey protein concentrates as they usually contain lactose and the amount can vary greatly from product to product.

Though it is supported by http://www.lactose-intolerance.co.uk/whey.php

Whey and Lactose Intolerance
Whey is one of two proteins contained within cows milk, and is known to be the protein of highest nutritional value to humans.

There are two main types of whey protein, and this is to do with how the whey protein is refined. The type types of whey protein are ‘concentrate' and ‘isolate'. Whey protein ‘isolate' is usually of higher quality, containing less fat and more protein than ‘concentrate'. Whey protein ‘isolate' can contain anywhere between 90-98 percent protein whilst ‘concentrate' may have as little as 29 percent or as much as 89 percent.

Whey protein ‘isolate' also contains very little, if any, lactose, which is excellent news for those who are lactose intolerant.

Whey protein is extremely popular amongst athletes, particularly bodybuilders, for its muscle building properties. Whey, as the best protein for the body, can become lacking in people who have given up milk entirely therefore a substitute such as a whey powdered protein can be a great way to ensure your body doesn't miss out.

Before taking whey protein it is a good idea to ensure you are in fact lactose intolerant, and not in fact.

Before making whey protein a part of your diet it is important to ensure lactose intolerance is in fact your problem, and not milk allergy. There are many different kinds of proteins in milk which form two main groups, Whey protein and Casein protein. One of the proteins belonging to the Whey group can very often be the cause of milk allergies. The symptoms of milk allergies can in turn be very similar to those of lactose intolerance, so by ruling out any allergy to milk first, there is absolutely no reason why usage of whey and lactose intolerance should conflict.

So in hindsight, if Pete is having a milk allergy and not an intolerance to lactose, then it might not do him any good. And Pete, not that my opinion is scientific, but I am leaning towards soy protein not containing enough phytoestrogens to make a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:05 pm 

yeah, i have a straight milk allergy. i wish i it was just intolerance because i would just drink milk and deal with the cramps. so, soy>pea/rice? i don't want my bitch tits to grow bigger!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:56 am 

It's not clear to me right now if I have a milk allergy or not. I know I am lactose intolerant, but generally whey triggers such a tiny reaction it wasn't especially noticeable. But now I'm getting a real allergic reaction (sudden onset of hives, puffiness) and I'm eliminating potential problem foods one by one. Once they go away, I'll start systematically adding in the foods I eliminated and see what triggers a re-start.

I'm not even sure it's food, but it doesn't seem to be linked to anything else - laundry detergent, soap, pet contact, etc.

So...rice protein so far, eliminating all traces of dairy from my diet (even BCAAs, L-Glutamine powder, etc. made from milk) and we'll see how it goes.