ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:33 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I just ate a huge chunk of fat off of this pork roast, delicious.

Seal meat, cant wait for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:39 pm 

LOL this thread is awesome.

Think about it like this:

More vegans = a population of weak, small soy boys. Which makes me look and feel even more badass in comparison.

More vegans = less demand for beef, therefore excess supply and therefore lower cost to get rid of inventories.

So, in summation: eat on soy warrior, I applaud your efforts to make mine a brighter day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:22 pm 

If they get a vegan day, do the rest of us get a meat day?

There are actually ads on TV here that are pro-meat. I think they're put on by a meat industry group but it's still good. They extoll the virtues of meat, talk about how humans wouldn't have evolved to where we are without eating meat, etc. etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:56 pm 

I know that this isn't directly related to what's been discussed- but one of the arguments for vegetarian/veganism I can actually sort of agree with is the impact that animal raising has on our environment (animals crap a lot). But do you think that most of the meat eater's like those who compromise this board are actually better than your typical meat eater? Let's face it- most of us here aren't afraid to eat a fatty piece of meat (dark meat chicken, fattier beef, etc). Considering I never see the option for "all dark meat chicken" if I go out to eat, I am sure they have to raise a numerous amount of chickens just to fill the need for less fat and the same for beef as well. Sort of like the old Native American adage of using every part of the buffaloes they killed (and for those non americans here now you know). Or am I delusional and kidding myself for this line of thinking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:01 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

"Yes, the "Humane Society" is quite normal - they just want to prevent abuse and reckless breeding." - frogbyte

Actually, it depends a little on which Humane Society. I'm pretty sure the Humane Society of America is anti-hunting although they aren't nearly as vocal about it as PETA.

Meanwhile, the Michigan Humane Society has a policy of euthenizing pitbulls, even small puppies, rather than allowing people to adopt them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:03 pm 

Puppies are meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:04 pm 

I think it's ironic how often animal rights groups like PETA are at odds with conservation groups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:13 pm 

"Or am I delusional and kidding myself for this line of thinking?" Rucifer

No I think you're way off. Very little meat goes to waste.

With beef the most expensive cuts are those with the most marbling (marbling is fat). Meanwhile, less desirable cuts are turned into other products like ground beef, cold cuts, canned soup, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:24 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

INSECTS FTW!!!

No really, they're trying to lobby insects as meat reaplacement (don't know who, but some scientists are trying it in any case).
And I totally dig that:
insects have got a higher biological value of protein
+ more protein/100g of insects (some have got up to 50g protein/100g insect :eek: )
+ a lot less impact on the environment (not that I really care but still)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:27 am 

Matt Z wrote:
"Or am I delusional and kidding myself for this line of thinking?" Rucifer

No I think you're way off. Very little meat goes to waste.

With beef the most expensive cuts are those with the most marbling (marbling is fat). Meanwhile, less desirable cuts are turned into other products like ground beef, cold cuts, canned soup, etc.

I stand corrected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:46 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I haven't seen ground worm at Whole Foods yet, but I'll keep looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:35 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

"Would you like fries with that?"

-"No I'll just have some maggots please."

lol I am all for eating insects but I thought it was just funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:47 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Maybe i've missed something in this thread, but what's the big deal? Why is the thought of eating a meal without meat so offensive, as it seems to be to some posters on this thread?

Mike Mahler is a vegan and has been for 16yrs, check out his training journal on his website, he's certainly not a 'weak boy'. Some people seem to be making the illogical assumption that meat = strength, and if you go without meat somehow you're strength is going to rapidly deteriorate. 1/3 to 1/2 my meals every week don't contain meat and i don't have any trouble progressing or putting on any muscle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:25 am 

Maybe not so much meat but, protein. You don't need to eat meat to get protein. I don't know a hell of a lot about Mike Mahler but, I'm sure he needs to make a conscious effort to get a good amount of protein and fat in each meal.

When meat/animal products (we are talking vegans here) is an option this is much easier. When it's not an option it can still be done.

The issue with the stereo typed vegan is the crappy information they preach about the alleged dangers of eating meat/animal products.

I actually have respect for people who are vegans/vegetarions/whatevers for ethical reasons - I don't know how anyone can argue with that. They have a 'belief' and they make a stance.

On top of that - I'm pretty sure the majority of vegans aren't bodybuilders let alone strong. Mike Mahler is the exception rather than the norm. I've never seen a vegan in real life that I didn't feel sorry for.

Lastly. Meat tastes good :grin: . I don't think you have people here saying you need to eat meat to be strong. You just have some proud meat eaters, just like you get proud vegans.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:16 am 

KPj wrote:
I actually have respect for people who are vegans/vegetarions/whatevers for ethical reasons - I don't know how anyone can argue with that. They have a 'belief' and they make a stance.

KPj

You should read "The Vegetarian Myth". It's nothing we don't know about from a nutritional view but the author explores the ethical aspect as well, being an ex-vegan. Growing crops required the deaths of countless animals and in fact, the loss of whole ecosystems. Harvesting 1 humanely raised cow, involves less death than growing the same calories in plants.

The bottom line is that death is required for life to exist and accepting that is what it means to be an adult.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next