ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low Carb Training!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:09 am 

Today was the first session I've had where I actually felt like my glycogen stores were empty! I've completely cut carbs out as of last weekend and going to have a refeed next weekend. The worst part apart training like this is the mental fatigue. My motivation was giving up before my muscles were, it was like I still had strength but my body just wanted to lay on the floor and rest!

Another thing I noticed is the amount I sweat is more than normal, I devised a theory for this whle I was thinking between sets. Maybe beta oxidation releases more heat energy than glycolysis, anyone know if this is true, would be a great little observation while resting between sets haha.

Will this fatigue go? I can't really remember how I put up with it last year, do you ever get as efficent as using fat for energy as you do carbs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:33 am 

its going to take about a month before you feel normal again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:57 pm 

It varies for everyone but your body is making the transition. Ride it out, it gets better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:36 pm 

You can also go heavier weight with less reps.

I noticed when I'm glycogen depleted, anything above ~6 reps tends to not work so well (even when doing my 8RM). It's like the second I hit that 6th rep is switches to glycogen stores and just bottoms out.

I think if you keep the weight higher(higher intensity) and reps lower that you'll enjoy your lifts more, simply because that tends to use more ATP/CP instead of glycogen for those 5-6 reps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Everyone is different. I no longer increase carbs very much during bulking. All that does is make me fat. Other people need a lot of carbs for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:52 am 

Keith Norris blogged about this transition today. It's worth reading. It's the second half of the blog, the first is his workout.

http://theorytopractice.wordpress.com/2 ... -illusion/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:25 am 

The only reason I went back to eating a lot of carbs was to bulk but I think I've put on a lot more fat then I thought I was going to. I think next time I'm just gonna bulk no carb and have the odd refeed.

Yeah I didn't lose strength for the first few reps but towards the end it was a killer especially deadlifts, I'm doing 8 reps at the moment. I was planning on going up to 10 reps soon, starting to plateau a bit, hopefully my body will be able to handle the no carbs by then anyway.

Gonna check that article out now cheers.