ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:53 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi People,

So, I've been reading about the Resting Metabolic Rate, and what it means in relation to weight loss. The basic principle is that one's body needs 'x' calories per day to function normally. Reducing calorie intake below this number will result in the body having to shut down certain functions - and is generally not advised. Instead one should consume the number of calories that is 'x' and then use exercise to burn calories.

Ok, that sounds nice. But it is not logical! If my RMR is 2000, and I consume 2000 calories per day, I am providing my body with the number of calories it needs to maintain health if I rest all day. But if I do not rest all day...let's say I exercise and burn 500 calories per day. Now my body only has 1500 calories to function properly. How is this different from just reducing calorie intake from the start?

There are several sources to read about RMR - Here is the one I read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You are right. It is 100% bollocks. Diet is the main thing. Reducing calories will lower metabolic rate,but so does cardio. That's why we lower carbs, lift weights and do some HIIT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:40 pm 
n00b
n00b

Ironman wrote:
You are right. It is 100% bollocks. Diet is the main thing. Reducing calories will lower metabolic rate,but so does cardio. That's why we lower carbs, lift weights and do some HIIT.

That's a shame. I was hoping I had missed something! Because I was investigating new ways to lose weight. I spent 6 weeks doing everything I thought was correct, but the results were poor. So then I started reducing calories, but still haven't seen a lot of benefit. I thought maybe this RMR thing would have explained things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:01 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

reducing calories just makes your body burn fewer. Your RMR changes when your input changes. Its much more than a math problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vintage79 wrote:
Ironman wrote:

That's a shame. I was hoping I had missed something! Because I was investigating new ways to lose weight. I spent 6 weeks doing everything I thought was correct, but the results were poor. So then I started reducing calories, but still haven't seen a lot of benefit. I thought maybe this RMR thing would have explained things.

Do you get any sort of slow down, or have trouble getting through workouts when reducing calories? Does it cause any hunger?

Those are things to pay attention to.

Other than that, try 20 carbs a day, no sugar alcohols, mostly meats, eggs, cheeses and make most of your veggie intake salad. Do your usual weight training workout and then gradually add in some HIIT. Space your meals too. Only eat 3 times a day. We want to have periods where your insulin levels are extremely low.

That should do the trick for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 pm 
n00b
n00b

Ironman wrote:
Do you get any sort of slow down, or have trouble getting through workouts when reducing calories? Does it cause any hunger?

Actually, I haven't noticed any problem with that, and I dropped my calorie intake from 2000 per day to 1500, to 1200.
Ironman wrote:
Other than that, try 20 carbs a day, no sugar alcohols, mostly meats, eggs, cheeses and make most of your veggie intake salad.

That's quite close to what I have been doing, except with more carbs. My diet for the past 7 days has basically been:

Breakfast: Bran Flakes (80g) with semi skimmed milk (250ml) ~380cal or 2 boiled Eggs with 2 brown toasts. ~450cal
Lunch: Grilled chicken breast with boiled veg (cabbage or runner beans) with a small portion of cous cous. ~400cal
Dinner: Soup with a piece of bread. ~400cal

In the first 6 weeks I was eating similar meals but with an additional meal of a tin of fish & green salad each day. Also the 'soup' meal would be something highger in carbs, like pasta for example.
Ironman wrote:
Do your usual weight training workout and then gradually add in some HIIT.

I think the HIIT is where I need to make more effort. I am short of space and short of time. Worse, I work from home and my 'normal' day involves absolutely no moving at all! At the moment I do 30min step aerobics per day (6 days per week) and weights 2 or 3 times per week (which takes around 30-40min each session). Is this enough?

I am 30, 5'10'' and around 17.5st with about 3st of fat to lose.
Ironman wrote:
Space your meals too. Only eat 3 times a day. We want to have periods where your insulin levels are extremely low.

I didn't know about this!! I always followed the idea that it was better to have 4-5 small meals per day as this kept the digestive system working constantly (more calories being consumed). But I did recently switch to 3 meals per day just because I got fed up spending the day in the k-word! It's an interesting point.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Meal spacing and period short fasts may also increase the natural production of growth hormone.

I think the best thing you can do is lower carbs and cut out grain for a while. You should get some good results from that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:11 am 

I find that interesting about having short periods of fast between meals. I know a lot of paleo people do it, but I always thought thats where my diet was sort of lacking because I don't eat frequently enough. My actual meals are normally really spread out, with a protein shake between them normally. I can see the logic behind it though with the insulin levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:23 am 

The calculated RMR is for an average person with a healthy metabolism. The calculation doesn't take into consideration your body temperature, which would be required as a minimum to determine what your RMR is. Therefore it's absolutely useless in assesing your calorie needs.

Your diet is a starvation diet and as such would surpress your RMR and untilmately lead to obeisity and malnutrition.

Reducing carbs on your existing diet is only going to make it worse. I agree that toast, coos coos and bran flakes are empty calories. However they are your main source of calories and they need to be replaced by something better.

You have virtually no fat in your diet other than the eggs.

You need to add fat to your diet. Put butter, cream or cheese sauce on your veg and chicken. Use full fat milk. Add fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sardines, etc) to your diet. Put olive oil on your salads. Cook in coconut oil.

Note that all the fat examples I gave are low in omega 6 and trans fats. That's on purpose. Avoid shortening, margarine and seed oils and all processed foods.

Eat until you are full but not stuffed. This is the key to repairing your metabolism. You may see weight gain at first but then you should experience a slow fat loss until you reach the weight you should be at.