ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My breakfast Conundrum
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:58 pm 

I already know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and a good amount of calories should be eaten for breakfast, and what I SHOULD be eating for breakfast (eggs and bacon for instance). Here's my problem- I have a hard time eating anything except carbs for breakfast. (cereals, bread, etc). I have to wait at least two to three hours before even thinking of eating something like eggs and bacon. That would be fine except my schedule really doesn't allow that. I've tried eating something like almonds and this works better than eggs but still can't eat enough to get in a good amount of cals. Same thing with fruit. And I don't even wanna think about eating vegetables for breakfast.

So basically here's my question- if I eat a fair amount of carbs for breakfast, but then go lower carbs/higher fat for the rest of the day, am I just going to get really fat mixing those morning carbs with fatty meals during the day, or if I give myself a couple hours of a window does my body burn those carbs so the rest of the day I can eat higher fat meals without much worry? I've basically been eating a tiny breakfast for awhile and I think its starting to catch up with me cause I generally loose a lot of steam around 1 pm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:39 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I'd just go for the carbs with breakfast, but:

- make them as slow-burning and low GL as possible. Like steel-cut oats, for example.
- add some healthy fiber and fats to further slow the burn down. A few walnuts, some flax seeds, etc. are a good choice
- put some protein in it too. Either down a shake just before or after the breakfast, or put in some low-fat plain yogurt or eat some low-fat cottage cheese.

When I want a non-egg breakfast, I go for steel cut oats with a little oat bran added in, with a few walnuts, a tablespoon of ground flax seed, half a cup or so of blueberries, cinnamon (which should also slow any insulin bump), and have some protein powder with it. If I'm eating yogurt at the time, I'll put in a 1/4 cup of yogurt, too. Plenty of carbs, yes, but it'll hold you for a good while.

You might want to try hard-boiling some eggs and carrying them for a mid-morning snack, along with a piece of fruit or some celery or something (to get in a veggie or fruit serving with the snack). That way you get your breakfast carbs, and as they start to be fully digested you move on to the fats.

Just try that for a while and see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:18 pm 

What I do is have coffee and then go to the gym. I eat eggs and sausage for breakfast about 3 hours after I get up. Sometimes I'll have oats on the weekends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:20 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Protein shake with greens powder...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:36 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

For the longest time, I also didn't even think of food until at least two hours after I woke up. But this is just like any other "bad habit", like drinking large amounts of coffee with sugar each day or eating heavy right before you go to sleep. If you force yourself to do it a few days in a row, it becomes second nature (sooner than you think). After two or three days of having breakfast (salad, eggs, 6-12oz of meat, 6 oz. orange juice, milk, plenty of water) within the first hour of waking up, my body began to expect that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:47 am 

I'm the same, I can't stomach a high fat/protein breakfast first thing. I normally have a shake and sometimes nibble on nuts and then eat an hour after. I don't know how I'm ever gonna bulk no carb, I just feel satiated the whole time, it's so hard to get the calories in!

What about a shake and a big scoop of peanut butter or lump of cheese?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:08 am 

stuward wrote:
What I do is have coffee and then go to the gym. I eat eggs and sausage for breakfast about 3 hours after I get up. Sometimes I'll have oats on the weekends.

I know everybody doesn't have much time in the morning but how come you don't eat something with more calorie before you go to the gym?

And I thought eating right after we wake up is good. I always have 4eggs(raw if I'm in a hurry) and some milk in in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:28 am 

I like to work out fasted. I don't eat from supper until after my workout, about 15 hours. It gives me more energy and it feels normal now. It keeps me leaner too. For someone who hasn't adapted to a low-carb diet, I wouldn't recommend it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:00 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Stuward is primal lol! except for the coffee.

I like bacon for breakfast, usually with a big salad.

I've recently started getting egg farts from eating soo many eggs, so I decided to stop for a while. I really like eating meat, so the other day, I had ribs for breakfast haha.

I eat a low-carb diet but I drink a GOMAD, to get the cals in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:12 pm 

Thanks for the advice all, you've given me a lot to think about. A couple days a week its not really issue cause I don't have any classes in the morns, but 4 days a week its up and go. Jebus, I know I already commented on your ribs for breakfast on the random crap thread over in the lounge but let me reiterate- you da man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:58 pm 

i wish i could eat a ton for breakfast without feeling crappy all day.

typical breakfast would be a slice of whole grain toast w/ chunky natty pb and sliced nanas. cup of black coffee with a spoonful of sugar and lately a protein shake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:33 am 

Rucifer wrote:
Thanks for the advice all, you've given me a lot to think about. A couple days a week its not really issue cause I don't have any classes in the morns, but 4 days a week its up and go. Jebus, I know I already commented on your ribs for breakfast on the random crap thread over in the lounge but let me reiterate- you da man.

Do you have a canteen or cafe? The days I'm in I just have a protein shake when I wake up then get 3 eggs and 3 bacon for breakfast after first lecture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:51 am 

Nevage wrote:
Rucifer wrote:

Do you have a canteen or cafe? The days I'm in I just have a protein shake when I wake up then get 3 eggs and 3 bacon for breakfast after first lecture.

3 eggs and 3 bacon. That's what I eat! (well, sausages or bacon) The cook in the cafiteria calls it a "Heart attack in a box". The first time I ordered it she couldn't believe I didn't want toast or hash browns.