Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "dieting by DNA"
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:46 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

http://www.theheart.org/article/1053429.do

Notice how nowhere in the article is excercise mentioned. When I think about how several women at my work will be discussing where to get this test done, I just wanna lay down and cry.

One of these women are on the "don't eat anything that grows underground"-diet :roll: (No, she doesn't work out. At all.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:59 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

The "don't eat anything that grows underground" diet? ... So she thinks carrots are fattening?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:24 pm 
n00b
n00b

It would be interesting to be able to optimize diets by genotype but I fear studies like this will simply be appropriated by people who blame their genetics for their obesity and not their tendency to cram pizza down their gullet and watch TV all day.

Personally, I've tried both low fat and low carbohydrate dieting, and both worked relatively well. I eventually sided with low carbohydrate diets but I think people need to experiment personally and find the best approach rather than hurling money and excuses around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:03 am 

Anything will work for a while if it restricts calories but the only way to sustain it for life is to base it on real food. Potatoes, onions, carrots, etc all qualify as real food. Everybody wants a quick fix. They don't want to take responsibility for themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:19 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
Anything will work for a while if it restricts calories but the only way to sustain it for life is to base it on real food. Potatoes, onions, carrots, etc all qualify as real food. Everybody wants a quick fix. They don't want to take responsibility for themselves.

I'm only like 8 months in but Im getting bitter too - A woman with no exercise (gets the god damn lift/elevator up one flight of stairs) will talk about her 20 points a day diet for "sins" and she intentionally aims for the worst processed dog $h1t she can find for those 20 points, chocolate muffins, caramel sweets/candy, pastry - it irritates me so bad and it shouldn't really.

Woman goes up to me and see's protein under my desk "does that stuff work? my husband had some for a bit and his muscles didnt get bigger" errg for christ sake... so she thought having 3 protein shakes would turn an average person into a underwear model in 3-4 weeks and if it didnt it was a scam....

Is there a thread to rant about what you hear/overhear cos I sure need one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:42 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Matt Z wrote:
The "don't eat anything that grows underground" diet? ... So she thinks carrots are fattening?

Yep. Carrots, potatoes, beets. And radishes. Cause they grow underground, you see. It's maddening. People are insane.

Post subject: Re: "dieting by DNA"
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:06 am 
former lurker

The new data are derived from a study the group previously conducted in 311 overweight women who were randomized to four popular diets: the very-low-carbohydrate Atkins diet, the low-carbohydrate Zone diet, the very-low-fat Ornish diet, and the low-fat LEARN diet. In that trial, known as the Atkins-Traditional-Ornish-Zone (A TO Z) study, which was previously reported by heartwire, women assigned to the Atkins diet had a modest benefit relative to the other diets, but overall results were disappointing in that the women, on average, lost only about 10 pounds.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:01 pm 

Did you, by any chance, notice the dates on this thread? I'm not sure that Helena is even around any more (although she tends to show up somewhat sporadically), and I'm pretty sure she would not still be interested in the original question.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:34 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

it's a paste job, it's all over
It might be legit inital info, jsut saying, its everywhere

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:07 pm 

Well, we know the OP.

So what could be the motivation for someone to paste something like that on so many sites? I'd think that someone would have to make money from it for it to be worthwhile. I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spam fail! hahaha :lol:
I told you so....