It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:59 pm 
Novice
Novice

Still, the results are pretty amusing:

http://www.adajournal.org/article/S0002 ... 3/abstract

Quote:
Results suggest that a diet consisting of observed food items would provide 2,560% of the recommended daily servings for sugars, 2,080% of the recommended daily servings for fat, 40% of the recommended daily servings for vegetables, 32% of the recommended daily servings for dairy, and 27% of the recommended daily servings for fruits.

I guess they were under the impression that corporate marketing departments are supposed to promote people's health and not try to make money by selling a product. It isn't the responsibility of a corporation to ensure people's health. I do believe we should ensure they aren't misleading people however, which they are in a lot of cases. I get sick of seeing food sold with huge labels like "NO HFCS" and look at the back to see the first ingredient listed is SUGAR.

I mean, I guess they are right but the fact of the matter is if people were actually concerned more about their health, this would be reflected in the advertisements. I just think they are missing the big picture, here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:32 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

"oversupply protein"? Can't image what ads those were. There's no protein in Coco Puffs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

frogbyte wrote:
"oversupply protein"? Can't image what ads those were. There's no protein in Coco Puffs.

The Double Down? ;)

But yeah... I don't see how over-consumption of protein is any huge problem in our society. Protein will get broken down and stored as fat like anything else if it's not used but has a pretty high thermic effect.

A lot of high-fat foods are generally high in protein just because of their nature, however the amount of fat generally supersedes that of the protein. A McDonald's quarter pounder will have a somewhat significant amount of protein but that doesn't mean it is that healthy.

I'm guessing that's generally where that data came from though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ricky wrote:
frogbyte wrote:

The Double Down? ;)

But yeah... I don't see how over-consumption of protein is any huge problem in our society. Protein will get broken down and stored as fat like anything else if it's not used but has a pretty high thermic effect.

A lot of high-fat foods are generally high in protein just because of their nature, however the amount of fat generally supersedes that of the protein. A McDonald's quarter pounder will have a somewhat significant amount of protein but that doesn't mean it is that healthy.

I'm guessing that's generally where that data came from though.

Those double downs are pretty good. I get a 2 of them grilled.

Actually protein doesn't really get stored. It's difficult to convert it to energy. A small amount of it can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis, an extremely inefficient process. Then that glucose would then in turn have to be stored as fat, but if your body needs glucose that bad, it's probably going to use it up.

If you eat more protein than you can use, you will notice it has a laxative effect. First you get gas, then more gas, and then if you really go nuts with it, you probably end up with a pretty loose BM too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:16 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Hey, ease off on bashing quarter pounders.

2 quarter pounders plus large milkshake = best pre workout meal ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:15 am 
Novice
Novice

Ironman wrote:

I haven't tried them, yet but I probably will. They surprised me with the grilled chicken; if you look at the nutrition info on their site they are not bad at all though I'm a bit suspicious once I tasted them (they do *not* taste healthy lol).

Quote:
Actually protein doesn't really get stored. It's difficult to convert it to energy. A small amount of it can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis, an extremely inefficient process. Then that glucose would then in turn have to be stored as fat, but if your body needs glucose that bad, it's probably going to use it up.

If you eat more protein than you can use, you will notice it has a laxative effect. First you get gas, then more gas, and then if you really go nuts with it, you probably end up with a pretty loose BM too.

True... The article was about most Americans though and most Americans don't get enough exercise daily (or any at all) to burn it off. From the following link, it takes about 10X as much energy to burn protein and store it as it does with fat, using up to 30% of the caloric content of the food. It takes about 10% for carbs (I assume they mean complex carbohydrates) and around 3% for fats.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_thermic.php

I think the laxative effect is mainly from bacteria producing gaseous waste (including sulfur dioxide) in the intestines and any gaseous bi-products of metabolism (including those that are sulfur-based). I wonder if it's more from the metabolism itself or if it simply provides a better substrate for the bacteria.

KPj wrote:
Hey, ease off on bashing quarter pounders.

2 quarter pounders plus large milkshake = best pre workout meal ever.

Eww.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:29 am 

Ricky wrote:
Ironman wrote:

I haven't tried them, yet but I probably will. They surprised me with the grilled chicken; if you look at the nutrition info on their site they are not bad at all though I'm a bit suspicious once I tasted them (they do *not* taste healthy lol).

These aren't available in Canada as they were too "unhealthy". They're the only reason I would ever go in a KFC. It's been years since I have actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:07 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

0g trans, 3g carb, 61g protein, 23g fat - nice. However it does have a days worth of sodium, and is no doubt teeming with MSG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:10 am 

I'll be at KFC tomorrow to see if they do these double down things. Conveniently, there's one about 30 metres from my gym.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:24 am 
Novice
Novice

frogbyte wrote:
0g trans, 3g carb, 61g protein, 23g fat - nice. However it does have a days worth of sodium, and is no doubt teeming with MSG.

Sodium isn't really bad, unless you have a problem with it.

If you have kidney problems or high blood pressure you should be concerned with your sodium intake.

Same with MSG -- some people have allergies to it but otherwise everything I've read says it's safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:59 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Well, MSG gives me a headache. As for sodium, if it's a mix of minerals that's different - but I've never seen papers that pure sodium is good. Ie, I doubt KFC is using sea salt or whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

frogbyte wrote:
As for sodium, if it's a mix of minerals that's different - but I've never seen papers that pure sodium is good.

It is very bad to consume pure sodium.

You will explode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:59 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Explode? Na!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:57 pm 

frogbyte wrote:
Explode? Na!
Sure. Happens all the time. I've done it a couple of times myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

frogbyte wrote:
Explode? Na!

Fill your bathroom sink with water. Take a piece of pure sodium and toss it in from across the room.

Or better yet look it up on youtube. That's a lot less messy.