ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm curious about Paleo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:46 pm 

How many of you guys consistently eat in a paleo way or in a modified type of paleo?

I'm doing UD2.0 by lyle mcdonald right now and after the 30 day carb up, I feel bloated. It says specifically that you can eat any starchy carbs, refined or not, etc. I ate a ton of potatoes, bagels, etc. and had candy as a PWO at the start of the re-feed (Also allowed) and it really just made me feel bloated.

Supposedly tomorrow I'm going to 'look lean and full' if I did it right - but I think it might be possible I'm just not very good with these types of carbs. I've always looked leaner when not eating lots of pasta/rice/bread/potatoes etc.

So, basically, I'm wondering how many of you guys practice this lifestyle personally (I've started reading up on it recently) and if it helps you to stay lean (as that is my main focus) and if you notice any strength/muscle gains or losses while doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:55 pm 

Just to clarify, I meant more from a dieting/maintaining physique sort of way than the the worry about the other foods being 'bad' for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:38 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I don't eat paleo per se. I have a mixed diet. Don't like faddy restrictions in paleo (but some of the aspects of it are pretty good nutrient wise). Think Lyle's stuff is too complicated (and really unscientific too).

I just wrote a plan for 2000, 2500, 3000 calories. Same plan with some tweaking. I do minimeals and mixed food. And emphasize fruits, veggies, meat, eggwhites. Occasional fish. I wanted something pretty stable and clean (no cheat days, refeeds). No alcohol or sweets (too easy to go off the deep end...I am a former fatty). Little bit of fat and fair amount of bread really (easy to get carbs in in bread). But I do whole wheat Arnold's double protien. It's also amazingly easy to produce timewise and tastes decent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:38 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Should this not be in the diet section? Also Poly, can I ask, why no yolk?

I try to eat a paleo type diet, sometimes I just don't care and i'll eat what ever. Its hard to eat this way when you don't have the money and you can't convince your mom what she buys is crap food lol.

I just got an idea, I'm going to purposely eat crap food for a while, get my blood done, hopefully it will show high trigylcerides and other problems. Then go all out Primal!! Eating really healthy, and then getting my blood work done at the end and show the differences to my family. rofl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:58 pm 

I always assumed this was the question area and the other areas were for actual specifics/proven things. Kind of like that's where you go for information and this is where you come to ask questions, I might have been wrong, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:53 am 

Diet questions go in the Diet section. One of the mods can move this easy enough.

I eat paleo as much as I can. I'm not completely strict, mostly because I'm not the only one in the family and I eat in the cafeteria a lot. The reduced carbs does make a difference to my fat levels and the high nutrients in the food makes a difference in my health. Once you realize that grains are a complete waste of calories, this becomes an easy way to eat. Whole grains are only good for people that are stuck on white bread. Grains are empty calories regardless of how unrefined they are. Starchy carbs are close to grains in their emptiness. They have very few nutrients compared to better foods. The hard part about paleo is getting enough calories and that's where meat comes in. I think at least half your calories should come from animal sources. Ideally 3 meal a day based on eggs, fish and meat each day. I tend to go with 2 egg meals just because it's the closest to paleo I can get at the cafeteria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:51 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

No yolk: Probably a holdover from my dieting days (lost 70 pounds in 6 months with a hardcore healthy, non-cheating, volumetrics assisted NS diet). I found that mixing a pint of eggwhites (buy them in liquid form) with about 4-6 servings of veggies was an incredile infusion of protein, bulk (like a whole minimeal) and had very low calories. And tasted good. Adding in yolks would reduce the protein and up the calories (assuming I keep the volumetric amounts similar).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:53 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

As mentioned recently in some other thread, I've eaten primal/paleo for about 16 months now, and it just plain works. I felt a difference within 5 days. A pound of broccoli a day (POBAD?) really helps keep the system moving along. Also I may be slightly gluten sensitive - the few times I've eaten breads since then makes me feel sluggish.

I do eat a high-carb meal every 6-8 days though - I try to do it right after a lower body workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:26 pm 

stuward wrote:
Diet questions go in the Diet section. One of the mods can move this easy enough.

I eat paleo as much as I can. I'm not completely strict, mostly because I'm not the only one in the family and I eat in the cafeteria a lot. The reduced carbs does make a difference to my fat levels and the high nutrients in the food makes a difference in my health. Once you realize that grains are a complete waste of calories, this becomes an easy way to eat. Whole grains are only good for people that are stuck on white bread. Grains are empty calories regardless of how unrefined they are. Starchy carbs are close to grains in their emptiness. They have very few nutrients compared to better foods. The hard part about paleo is getting enough calories and that's where meat comes in. I think at least half your calories should come from animal sources. Ideally 3 meal a day based on eggs, fish and meat each day. I tend to go with 2 egg meals just because it's the closest to paleo I can get at the cafeteria.

I know your pretty much the most knowledgable paleo member who posts on here...how big of a part can nuts/seeds be? Or to a lesser extent beans? If I have a large portion of cals based on nut/seed fats...as opposed to dairy fat or carbs...that's not gonna derail things is it? My stomach gets upset too easily with fatty meats like beef and pork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:05 pm 

Rucifer wrote:
stuward wrote:

I know your pretty much the most knowledgable paleo member who posts on here...how big of a part can nuts/seeds be? Or to a lesser extent beans? If I have a large portion of cals based on nut/seed fats...as opposed to dairy fat or carbs...that's not gonna derail things is it? My stomach gets upset too easily with fatty meats like beef and pork.

I think nuts, beans and seeds are OK in moderation. They have a lot of carbs and the nuts and seeds usually have a fair amount of O6. However, O6 from whole foods seem to be better for the body than processed oils so I wouldn't worry too much about them. If you're trying to gain weight, I wouldn't worry too much about the carbs, you need the calories. I used to snack on nuts fairly often but lately I don't get hungry between meals much so I don't so much. Beans and chili go together so well, I don't know how you could cut them out completely. That's just not human. If you're trying to lose weight, be real careful with these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:09 pm 

ApolytonGP wrote:
No yolk: Probably a holdover from my dieting days (lost 70 pounds in 6 months with a hardcore healthy, non-cheating, volumetrics assisted NS diet). I found that mixing a pint of eggwhites (buy them in liquid form) with about 4-6 servings of veggies was an incredile infusion of protein, bulk (like a whole minimeal) and had very low calories. And tasted good. Adding in yolks would reduce the protein and up the calories (assuming I keep the volumetric amounts similar).

Liquid egg whites are not paleo. The egg yolk is the most important part of the egg. The egg yolk as as much protein as the egg white and most of the eggs nutrients. Paleo eaters are definitely not afraid of a little fat. If you are, and you want to try paleo eating, get over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:00 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

stuward wrote:
Liquid egg whites are not paleo. The egg yolk is the most important part of the egg. The egg yolk as as much protein as the egg white and most of the eggs nutrients. Paleo eaters are definitely not afraid of a little fat. If you are, and you want to try paleo eating, get over it.

I was waiting for someone to post that lol. Also if anything you should eat only the egg yolk, some people have a slight sensitivity to egg whites.

Last edited by Jebus on Sun May 02, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:55 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

There may not be much vitamins/minerals in the white, but you can't call essentially pure protein "empty cals".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:11 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Just coincidentally, I was reading these articles this week:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... built1.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... built2.htm

Interesting stuff. I think the Paleo diet can work for a lot of people, but I'm also of the opinion it's based on a lot of conjecture and supposition by non-experts in archeology. I'm not convinced by the idea that "cavemen" really ate a specific way, or acted a specific way, so we should. I am convinced that this diet works stunningly well for some people, might work for most people, and there are probably genetic/evolutionary reasons why this is so. But I tend to cringe away at "this is how Ogg the Caveman ate before he clubbed a wooly mammoth to death, then deadlifted it and ran 26.2 miles back to his cave with the corpse." Uh...how about, "this way of eating works for body recomposition and health? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:49 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Well, Paleo/natural is a good starting point. I don't count cheese as dietary cheating though, since the nutritional profile mirrors meat.

Besides, you can't deadlift a mammoth, it'd be more like a sled pull situation.