ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I ate some eggs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:10 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I do a daily pint of eggwhites with several servings of veggies and spices as one of my minimeals.

today I was low on calories and fat for the day. And had 6 eggs from my mom to use up (expired a couple weeks ago...wanted to use them up soon).

so I switched out a half of the pint of the eggwhites for 6 eggs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:47 pm 

Way to go. I just got done eating some fried chicken myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:05 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I don't know if I'm ever eating that again. I don't want to go back to being a fattie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:38 am 

Well, that's a big jump! Try 2 eggs 3 days a week for a few weeks. If you don't balloon up, increase to 3 eggs 4 days a week or something. Then if you're still not gaining, go on the KPj Diet.

"If you're not eating at least 6 eggs at a time, you're not a real man."--KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ApolytonGP wrote:
I don't know if I'm ever eating that again. I don't want to go back to being a fattie.

You can't get fat eating 12 eggs, let alone 6. You can eat eggs 'til you puke. You need carbs to get fat. Everything gets in the fat cells by insulin, not telekinesis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:19 am 

Ironman wrote:
ApolytonGP wrote:

You can't get fat eating 12 eggs, let alone 6. You can eat eggs 'til you puke. You need carbs to get fat. Everything gets in the fat cells by insulin, not telekinesis.

hahahahaha! Yeah, I'd say eggs make up a good 1/3 of my diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:05 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I love eggs. I eat two boiled eggs for breakfast every morning, except weekends when they're fried and served with bacon :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:48 am 

I average about 5 eggs/day. They're a key component in my fat management plan. However, if the eggs are 2 weeks past the due date, I would throw them out. Eat fresh eggs, the fresher the better and if you can get a supplier that consistantly supplies eggs with bright orange yolks, get them there all the time. Most grocery store eggs are pale yellow and have no taste and few of the nutrients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:37 am 

Ironman wrote:
ApolytonGP wrote:

While its true that 12 eggs alone wont make you fat, the way I understand it, its the hash browns and toast that people eat with eggs that will allow the body to store the extra calories from the eggs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:46 am 

frigginwizard wrote:
Ironman wrote:
ApolytonGP wrote:

While its true that 12 eggs alone wont make you fat, the way I understand it, its the hash browns and toast that people eat with eggs that will allow the body to store the extra calories from the eggs.

That's right. It's funny how much discussion there was when I placed my first order of 3 eggs, 3 sausage, no toast and no hash browns at our cafiteria. The grill cook calls it a "heart attack in a box". It's a running joke now since I order it by that name now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:18 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I meant the fried chicken. Some things, I just feel safer keeping out of my diet forever now (like sweets and alcohol also). If I were doing some Michael Phelps workouts, sure I would eat whatever...but I will never tolerate that kind of mileage.

I have been eating the volumetric equivelant of 12 eggs per day for months now. One pint of eggwhites equates to a dozen eggs, volume-wise, and protein-wise but is 240 calories instead of 840. When I fill it with 4 servings of mixed veggies and some red pepper and other spices...just rocks. Fills you up big time.

I have eaten eggs well past their date often and never died...yet.

My brain turns off when someone mentions insulin. Calorie math works for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:23 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I even buy them in the pint containers now. no measuring. No opened containers. Just pour the pint over the veggies.

I like "All whites" or the Kroger store brand version of all whites. Eggbeaters is same thing, with a little food coloring and thickener...but I am used to all whites.

Sometimes, I will dump 50 cals of bacon bits (2 tbsp) in the eggs while cooking. Improves taste a lot, and I could probably use a little extra fat now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:16 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Jungledoc wrote:
Well, that's a big jump! Try 2 eggs 3 days a week for a few weeks. If you don't balloon up, increase to 3 eggs 4 days a week or something. Then if you're still not gaining, go on the KPj Diet.

"If you're not eating at least 6 eggs at a time, you're not a real man."--KPj

haha. It's true.

Imagine all the good we could do in the world if all these low fat fanatics in the western world could somehow transport all their unwanted egg yolks to poorer parts of the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:28 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

They come in boxes of a dozen for a reason - that's one serving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:52 pm 

ApolytonGP wrote:
My brain turns off when someone mentions insulin. Calorie math works for me.
Well, that's unfortunate, and is obviously the crux of many of the arguments that various of us have had with you. Insulin is the key! Insulin is what controls the storage of fat. If you control insulin, you control fat storage. "Calorie math" works only if insulin levels move the right way at the same time you change the calorie counts. Calorie counting works for many people because the "calories" that they cut first are the simple sugars, leaving veggies (as you advocate). They lose weight because they are spiking insulin less. The fact that those same people are afraid of fats is more-or-less irrelevant, as long as the insulin spikes are low. They feel that it's the "calorie deficit" that is responsible for the loss.

And there will always be a problem in discussing this if the people in the discussion have different understandings of what a "calorie" is. It will be the old apples and oranges problem. Nutrients behave differently in our body depending on the presence or absence of insulin, and probably many other factors that we don't even know about yet.