ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Honey
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:04 am 
Rookie
Rookie

The story comes from that my wife bought me 2 jars of honey that I really love it,

I tried to Google if eating honey can make me fat (or affect weight gain), as I’m on weight loss diet.

I know that honey have a lot of benefits, so is it ok to have maybe 1 spoon after wakeup?, or it’s better get off it !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:15 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

From what I've learned here on the forum, if you're gonna have fast carbs it's better to have them right before or after workout than at any other time.

I don't know how your workout schedule looks, or how much weight you want to loose and what you weigh now, but I don't think 1 small spoon of honey in the morning is going to kill your diet loss.

Honey has benefits, but keep in mind it's all sugar so only eat very small amounts if you're trying to lose weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:36 am 

During the induction phase of a low carb diet, you should give it up but otherwise I agree with Helena. It's probably the healthiest sweetener and as long as you don't assume you can eat all you want, you should be OK. The danger comes when you have honey on toast as a pick me up part way through the afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:49 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you for your feedbacks...
my workout now is WS4SB and I have about 5-6 Kg to loose, I'm watching out my calo. intake ( I'm not restrict but trying :)

as for the Honey, I think it's better to get off it until I drop those extra kilos :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:55 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I was asking this question because first as I said my wife bought it to me and I Love it..
but the important part is with low carb diet sometimes during the day and specially right after wakeup and afternoon, I have a very bad felling that I need anything sweet !!

Recently I began to go for fruits.. and seems that it’s working

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:48 am 

That need for sweetness is your blood sugar dropping. Try some almonds or a hard boiled egg. You can avoid the insulin boost and break the cycle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:00 am 
Rookie
Rookie

stuward wrote:
That need for sweetness is your blood sugar dropping. Try some almonds or a hard boiled egg. You can avoid the insulin boost and break the cycle.

sure I'll try...
anther question please..
what do u think about dried fava beans... It's available in my country and it is very cheap.. I usually eat it cooked and eat alot of it.. as it has alot of protein and amino acides, so is it good for the low calo. Diet?, am I have to reduce it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:59 am 

Fava Beans (also known as Broad Beans) and all legumes, are a grey area in low-carb eating. One the pluss side, they're high in fibre and have reasonable amounts of protein. They are also low-glycemic and compared to grains, are less likely to spike insulin in small qtys. However, due to their high carb content, and their high volume in some diets, they have a high glycemic load. Potatoes and rice are the same in many other diets. They will never be as good as fibrous vegetables. You're really not eating low-carb as long as you are eating beans, potatoes, rice or grains. These can be added back in moderation once you've reached your goals and you know what you can tolerate.

As an example, 1 cup of lentils has 40g of carbs along with 18g protein and a little fat. Almost half those carbs are fibre and 1 cup is very filling. In a normal diet. That volume of carbs would not be problematic. With a small piece of meat and a small salad, this would be a greal meal and would keep insulin in line quite nicely. You just have to careful with the qty.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... le&dbid=43

Also, all dried beeans need to be soaked and cooked but that's probably obvious to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:13 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Do you mean that you were just drinking a big glob of honey? If eating that much sugar (or just the thought of it!) doesn't make you nauseated you're definitely still addicted to carbohydrates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:45 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

It's fricking semi-liquid sugar.

Give it up and have some raw spinach with balsamic vinegar instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:48 pm 

ApolytonGP wrote:
It's fricking semi-liquid sugar.

Give it up and have some raw spinach with balsamic vinegar instead.

Basalmic vinegar has sugar in it too. It would probably taste like crap in your coffee.

You guys need to mellow out. he was talking about a teaspoonful of honey at breakfast. My wife puts that much in her tea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:12 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I put honey in my post-workout shake to fill out the taste, take advantage of its benefits (I get locally farmed honey), and to get more carbs. Why not look into that instead of adding it to your breakfast? You don't need too much honey to get the taste, or probably the benefits either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:24 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I thought he was binging on 2 jars a time of it.

I measure the balsamic vingar. [/lying]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:25 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I just switched to black coffee when I started dieting. Was easier to just go cold turkey...for me at least...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:30 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Just downing a big blob of honey is the part I question. If you're mixing in something that's a little less evident of a sugar addict.