ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:07 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hi,

I have a question about the amino acids which decide if a food is complete or incomplete protein.
Now i know that all beans are incomplete proteins except soybeans. So i went to nutritiondata.com and checked out the amino acid profile for lima beans (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/leg ... cts/4340/2) and compared the numbers that a complete protein should have from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_protein.
I calculated and compared and it seems like lima is not missing and has more than those values shown on the wiki...
So it lima a complete or incomplete protein? And how do you know?

This question not really important but i would like it answered, if you can make sense of it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:20 am 

If you are eating some meat, dairy, eggs, or other complete proteins I wouldn't worry about it too much. As far as I know, the "incomplete" plant proteins are really only missing one or two amino acids (or low in one) so it might look like it is complete. But I don't trus nutritiondata completely anyhow, I use it sort of like Wikipedia, as a helpful guide when it comes to things.