ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Post Workout Meal
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:30 pm 
former lurker

Hiya,

I have a little concern about my post workout meal. I know it's known to be the most important meal when you workout. But I also hear that you are best to NOT eat anything after 7pm and sleep 10pm to 6am.

Now if I put these two theories together, they don't fit in my lifestyle. Cause I sleep around after midnight till about 8ish and due to my work hours, I can only workout between 8pm and 10 pm, so here is my question now:

Am I better off not to eat anything and leave the stomach at rest after my workout cause it's too late? Or is it better to have a light food right after my workout and go to bed in a couple of hours? If yes, then any suggestion on what to eat?

Please note that I do drink my Whey Protein shake after workout anyway.

Thanks,
Adler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:59 pm 

There are 2 theories of post workout nutrition. One says that you need to replenish your glycogen stores right away and another that says that carbs will stop any benefit from growth hormone stimulation.

Here's one source in the first camp.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Nutrition-Di ... orkout.htm

Here's one from the second camp.
http://www.articlesbase.com/outdoor-spo ... 65152.html

In your case with an evening meal, preserving HGH should be your top concern. Your glycogen stores will be back by the time you work out again. Stick with the protein with a light snack which includes no significant carbs.

It's interesting the the difference between the 2 suggestions is 1/2 cup of rice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:56 am 
former lurker

Thanks Stuward,

I guess what I currently do, doesn't seem to be bad at all: A banana, split for inbetween training and right after, followed by a protein shake. And once I get home I munch on some peanuts. Which basically is a small carb, high protein and moderate fat. :smile:

Thank you again for the reply and the useful links.

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:55 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

stuward wrote:
There are 2 theories of post workout nutrition. One says that you need to replenish your glycogen stores right away and another that says that carbs will stop any benefit from growth hormone stimulation.

Here's one source in the first camp.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Nutrition-Di ... orkout.htm

Here's one from the second camp.
http://www.articlesbase.com/outdoor-spo ... 65152.html

Stu,

I use to be in the first camp. I believed that spiking insulin levels post workout and reloading glycogen was the way to go. There is something to that.

However, after reading DiPasquale's thought on it (Anabolic Diet/Metabolic Diet), I decided to for go any post workout carbs.

I followed the no carb post wrokout program for close to a year. I haven't noticed any changes in my recover between the two.

As DiPasquale noted, in a 24-48 hour period you're body will restore glycogen back to the muscle cells, via gluconeogenesis. So, don't worry about it.

My feeling is that if your performing in an even in the morning and then later in the afternoon on the same day, you better off reloading carbs back in immediately after the event.

Gluoconeogeneis won't cut it for quickly restoration of muscle cells with glycogen.

As for getting a boost in HGH by not taking in any carbs. I question exactly how much HGH is released. In other words, Is enough released to make much of a difference?

My answer to that question is, I DON'T know.

It does make sense that abstaining from post workout carbs will allow you to continue to burn body fat much longer after your workout is over.

I feel (meaning I am guessing) that abstaining from carbs post workout was a contributing factor in my dropping from 202 lbs down to a svelt 184. :)

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:28 pm 

Kenny, staying lean is the reason I do it as well. However, if HGH was an issue, someone exercising in the evening is taking a double risk due to the post workout spike and also the nighttime spike. I think I'd prefer to go without the carbs just in case.

Post subject: Re: Post Workout Meal
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

Adler wrote:
I have a little concern about my post workout meal. I know it's known to be the most important meal when you workout. But I also hear that you are best to NOT eat anything after 7pm and sleep 10pm to 6am.

I wouldn't worry about it that much.

The companies that sell all those nutritional products try to tell you that but I'm sure you'll be fine if you simply eat regular healthy meals.

If you're trying to lose weight then you want to worry but don't believe all the crap like "if you don't have a protein shake immediately following your workout you wasted it" because that's complete rubbish.

Not everything takes place after your workout or even on the same day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:28 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I work out exclusively in the evening, followed immediately by a protein shake, then shower and food, and within another hour or so, bed. After switching to primal/paleo eating I've continuously lost body fat while gaining muscle (I'm down 30 lbs since the time of the switch). 2 out of 3 days, my biggest meal of the day is right before bed.

Edit: I also do a high-carb meal once ever 6-9 days post-workout, also just before bed. I haven't noticed any negative effects from that either, although who knows, maybe I'd be even better off without it. Pretty happy with how things are going though.