ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:53 pm 
Novice
Novice

I am always board at work so I threw together a Calorie Calendar.

Its made this for my wife, it will calculate your BMR and RMR and seditary factor.
at the end of the week it should calculate your weight loss.

I wonder how accurate BMR is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:28 am 

BMR is an average. Individuals will use more or less calories depending on their metabolism and a host of factors that we may not even know about. The calculation you did should be close enough to work with. Use it as a start point and adjust according to the results you get. Remember that you're going to apply a grossly imprecise activity factor to the BMR. The error in that factor alone will overwhelm the BMR calculation.

You should be encouraging at most a 20% calorie reduction. This slows the rate of loss but improves long term success. However, first I would just make sure that she's eating real unprocessed food, low in grains, industrial seed oils and sugar. Include adequate proteins and good fats. Most people reduce calories instinctively once they eat that way and don't have to actually count calories.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:35 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Extremistpullup wrote:
I am always board at work so I threw together a Calorie Calendar.

Its made this for my wife, it will calculate your BMR and RMR and seditary factor.
at the end of the week it should calculate your weight loss.

I wonder how accurate BMR is?

Extremistpullup,

I like the calorie calander. Nice job.

As Stu noted, BMR is a bit harder to determine.

BMR and RMR Formula = Guessing

I'd go even further to stated the formulas for determing BMR or RMR are crap. The BRM and RMR formulas are complicated.

That meaning a mass amout of information is needed. You need to be a regression analysis mathe-MAGICIAN to come even come close to the right answer.

That problem is compounded by having to make estimations, guessing. Guessing is NEVER good.

Thus, you end up having to guess at a multitide of factors which gives falls into more of a "ball park figure".

Easier MORE Accurate Method

A much more INDIVIDUALIZED method is to do a Three Day Recall Diet. That meaning you write down what you eat for three days.

Then get your three day caloric average.

[u]Lose, Gain, Maintain

Let's say that you weight is approximately the same with your present diet. If so, what you are consuming is a Maintenance Diet.

If so to lose weight you would need to DECREASE your caloric intake from your present Three Day Recall.

If you want to gain weight, you'd need to INCREASE your calorc intake from your present Three Day Recall.

This is a much simplier, more efective, individualzed method than the BMR and RDR formulas.

Kenny Croxdale

[/u]