ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:52 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Would it be disadvantageous if the percentage of calories eaten per meal wasn't consistent?

I'm getting ~2500 per day, but due to class and time restrictions, I average about 500 for breakfast, 400 around noon, and 1600 for dinner.

I know it's the total calorie count that's important, but just wondering if the timing affects it too; and also how this plays a role in hypertrophy of muscles.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:22 pm 

That's actually the way that "The Warrior Diet" recommends. The underfeeding and overfeeding helps reduce body fat. Try to get protein and fat in every meal, you can concentrate the carbs in the big meal.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:46 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Follow up:

We often use a "day"; but over what period of time do you need to make sure you consume ample protein and fats and carbs ? Say you are down on protein 4 days in a row, can you make up for it the last 3 days of the week? I guess, what understanding is there in macro timing. Is a day just a safe, convenient measure?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:00 pm 

Protein should be spaced out if you can so you always have some available for muscle maintenance and growth. It digests slowly so in order to get optimal amounts you should have some throughout the day. You don't need to eat every 3 hours though. That's a disproven myth. It takes longer than that to digest a meal. Fat and carbs are mostly used for energy so you can vary the intake of them more, although fat slows down your stomach emptying so it may stretch out the value of your protein meal. That's just my theory. I don't know if that's the case or not. So in summary, protein and fat should be frequent and regular, carbs can and should be varied through the day and week.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:28 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

alright. Sounds like you are being consistant.
With some 24 hour fasting like Eat Stop Eat, say it's ok to go awhile without loss of strength. Guess, I'm more curious now do to my recent loss of strength from I presume dieting. I have been spacing out the protein.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:42 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
alright. Sounds like you are being consistant.

You're just testing me arn't you. You really are a troll. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:18 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey Stu, can you elaborate some more on the warrior diet? Is this a diet geared towards weight loss or growth?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:51 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/n ... rior-diet/
There is an article about the warrior diet, plus some other angles revolving around it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:56 am 

Gantz, it's a diet that helps you gradually lose fat while maintaining or building muscle that can be sustained indefinitely. It's more of a maintenance way of eating.

Dub, good find. You need to be a little careful of too prescriptive a program like this if your workout timings don't line up with the authors. Carb Backloading is similar in this regard.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:53 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

stuward wrote:
You need to be a little careful of too prescriptive a program like this if your workout timings don't line up with the authors.
Yep, that's one of the reasons I can't start this kind of diet. My training schedule is very altering. Some days I work out at 10AM, some days at 8PM. The average is somewhere around 4PM. Then there's the school. We exercise atleast something, or play something almost everyday for an hour or two, so it messes up my eating too. I have to eat at school, so I manage to even get to gym after or inbetween lessons. Right now we mostly have old-fashioned gymnastics like artistic gymnastics( in example bars, rings floor and pommel horses, you get the picture.), and that takes a lot of muscular activity, especially stability balance, lots of static work. I can't go low-carb during the day and eat more in evening, it's impossible right now. Not to mention I'm a poor student, so I can't even afford to eat as much as needed. I thought I'd buy some high carb supplement's to add on my diet, as I'm in the dire need of mass. I also take protein powder almost daily, planning to get it involved into daily basis.

For what I've read, Warrior diet needs some carefully planned schedules in nearly every single day. It's based very strictly on time and amount, which makes it too hard for me to execute.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:07 pm 

It depends on your schedule. Mine is pretty steady. I workout in the morning fasted, then a protein/fat breakfast and a light lunch. My main meal is after work. I work at a desk all day so the under-eating during the day works for me. I find you need to have made the transition to fat burning, which means going low carb for a period. After that you have more flexibility in what you can and can't do.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:41 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

How do you know when you've made the transition to fat burning? I wonder for example, what impact this month is having for me. I have a desk job and sedentary life aside from 3 heavy sessions/week at this time. ITs also good to hear and more clear to me that, like IM says we are not a furnace so Calories in vs Calories out is way to simplified

secondly
Say, the wife and I like to go out on Friday. And presume the weekly diet accounts for this night - a night likely to have an excess of carbs. But, I dont train on Friday. Should I shift the Saturday afternoon session to Friday night, or does it matter much? You know, I'm willing to make changes, but in the long run it's got to work with my life. For critical items, I'll make upset the apple cart.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:30 pm 

It usually takes 2 or 3 weeks of low carb to make the transition. You'll know because you won't crave carbs between meals. In fact, if you miss a meal, you hardly notice. If you know you're going to eat carbs on Friday night, I would work out hard Friday afternoon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:16 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

stuward wrote:
If you know you're going to eat carbs on Friday night, I would work out hard Friday afternoon.

My boss says I have to be at work.

Biut seriously, I can leave earlier on Friday and get in a good session before eating out at 7:30 pm., Hmmm. now were talking maybe. At least while it's cooler and afternoon training in the garage is comfortable.
So heavy carbs after, better than before? (I was thinking as long as it's "peri" ) ?

I'll take your recommendation under advisement