Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My carb cycling template
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:13 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hi All,

I've crunched numbers for carb cycling and although I realise diets have to be felt out and have the old "everyone is different" clause one thing stood out... the amount of carbs vs fat.

I know we are fat fans on here and I tend to side with you guys, my research hits a cap pretty fast, I've read good calories bad calories by taubes and its taken me to youtube lectures regarding carbs and the old "well we eat less fat an obesity is higher" point - all in all, I tend to agree that a low carb diet is the right choice.

Anyway.. the point...

when I breakdown a macro of about 2700-2800 calories (maintainence), and deduct the 300 grams of protein (x1.5 ratio) I end up with:

Low carb: Rest days (2) - Fat = 97 G / Carbs 175g
Moderate: 2 on 1 off - Fat = 71 g / Carbs 233g
High: 2 - Fat = 45g (oh jesus help me...) / Carbs 291g

Made me raise my eyebrow really, and I just have to check it with you guys. This would involve me eating so many greens during the day - cold bowls of broccoli/cabbage, 5 pieces of fruit (.....) - bread again... basically adding carbs I considered easy to avoid - I'm certainley not eating crappy carbs to hit those grams.

So I wondered, if you were me, would you replace 50g of carbs from all of the above with 22g of fat? or even 75g carbs for 33g fat? that would keep me above 100 on low carb days.

Cheers

(p.s. - I am essentially aiming for a "good" diet - I don't mind my weight changing slightly, but I don't want my fat moving up by much, hense the cycle)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:31 am 

Double check the carbs. You may be counting fibre. Even then, 175g on a low carb day is high. I would certainly keep the low-carb day down to the 50-75 range, although some people might do better on a little more or less that that. You shouldn't be eating any bread or grains on those days.

If you're looking to add fat, add coconut oil, olive oil or eat fattier cuts of meat. A small handful of nuts or nut butter is OK. Don't forget to add in your fish oil.

1.5g/lb of protein is on the high side. I wouldn't be concerned as long as you take in at least 200g. The extra will help with your calories but it doesn't need to be protein. That should give you some flexibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:53 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Cool Stuward, was hoping you'd answer.

Fibre was not remotley considered during calculations. Should I deduct fibre? what method? (i.e. just remove fibre from carb count?)

I can add fat easily, I eat about 100g of cheddar a day, some nuts etc - my fat is already "high" - but yea thats what I thought, 175 on a low and 300... its just ... suprizing/not my thing.

I'll consider that on the basic side "yes, those carbs are too high" and will re-calc with the fibre defecit (once thats clarified if you don't mind).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:12 am 

Fibre passes right through without your body using it for energy so just deduct the fibe from the carbs. When you get something like broccoli and greens, almost all of the carbs are fibre. You can actually ignore these in your calculations. It gets more complicated with stuff like sweet potatoes and beans as those have a lot of both digestable carbs and fibre, so it's probably simpler to just subtract the fibre from the total carbs.

btw, the name is Stu, not Stuward. Ward is my last name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:44 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Oh yea hehe, I vaguely remember you pointing that out to someone before. Will Fix that :)

Thanks for the clarification on the fibre