ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:46 am 

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2010/ ... an+Blog%29

Quote:
the first sign of wheat-induced brain damage may be bumping into walls and wetting your pants.

Quote:
Average age of onset: 53 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:18 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Sounds plausible, but is he just pulling that stuff out his butt - where's the studies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:52 am 
n00b
n00b

People in north india especially punjab have been consuming wheat as their main dish since ages and i haven't seen a single one having these symptoms..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:30 am 

I just put it out for discussion. I don't nessecarily agree with Dr. Davis' opinions. In general I do find he's more right than wrong on a lot of subjects so I do tend to listen to him, even if some of his ideas seem to be off the mark. There seems to be mounting evidence that wheat has some negative consequences but, as you say, it doesn't seem to be that way in Punjab. I think there are protective differences in the traditional ways of preparing food. I'm sure the wheat in Punjab is different than the highly refined wheat consumed in North America. Dr. Davis likes to draw attention to the fact that virtually all wheat in NA is from a strain that didn't exist 30 years ago. You're probably still using the same wheat your ancestors ate.

Part of the problem with wheat is that it displaces more nutrtitious food such as vegetables and meat. However, the same issues don't seem to exist with rice and potatoes so there may be something to it. The right research hasn't been done yet to definitavely address the health aspects of wheat. However it's such an important staple the worl over that I think it needs to be looked at by someone other than those funded by Monsanto, MDA and Con Agra.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:09 am 
n00b
n00b

I agree. If there are negative effects on our bodies from eating wheat, it is more likely linked to the way that we refine our wheat here in the west. There could also be a link to the pesticides and fertilizers we use here in the west, not to mention all the frankenteined, genetically modified grains we consume. I am going to assume that in India, they still use very natural methods of agriculture, which could explain why they don't have similar issues.

Regards,
George

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:56 am 
Novice
Novice

we in india consume wheat day in day out. No Problems at all. It has carbs that provide energy. We just reduce the consumption in night to avoid fat gain.
In addition to this its complete food. We just need to find the right heat quality wheat and grinding should be done to medium level not too fine.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:24 pm 

Aman, the wheat you're talking about is not what we have here. In NA and Europe, most wheat is highly processed and largely a modern hybrid that has been bred for yield and not nutrition. Also, the main problem is with gluten which affect different people differently. In most cases the effect is insidious and you may not notice it until you stop eating it.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:50 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Notice what?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:11 pm 

Nkkip wrote:
Notice what?

The effects of the gluten.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten_sensitivity

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:56 am 
Novice
Novice

Hi Stu,

Indians make what we call 'chapatis' (indian bread) - it is one of the best food available to us in India. What we do here is get the right wheat right from the farm and make wheat flour .

More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atta_flour

Indian generally consume almost 12-15 a day spead over three meals. One Indian bread may have around70-80 calories - around 4 gms of protein (depending on size). rest is carbs. After cooking the indian bread we apply some butter on it. that way its tastier and is complete food. I am sure some of you have tried this in indian restaurants in US or Europe.

Processing of wheat or its very fine grinding is not very good for the body and should be avoided.
Americans can buy wheat and do the grinding at home.

Regarding gluten senstivity or any other allergy - only a small % is perhaps affected by this. I know a colleague who suffer from wheat allergy and has replaces it with rice.
so in my view its not correct to conclude that getting off wheat is the way.

but i must agree to the fact that if the wheat itself is processed or hybrid, then it may not be good for the body in long term. wheat crop must be grown in its natural form.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:41 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Good post. As to American's buying it from the farm and grinding it themselves, well, I guess you haven't ever been over here. Most wouldn't have a clue of what or where to buy, not to mention the grinding aspects. A few of us geezersknow all about it, but we're the exception rather than the rule. Doc grew up on a ranch back in the 50's, so he probably knows. I grew up in the same time frame, with a mother that grew up in America's great depression, and wouldn't even consider NOT making everything from scratch. But nowadays, over here, the farms are for the most part all under the corporations, and to most people, you have to go to the store and buy everything processed. You can get the real good stuff over here to grind and use already mill ground, Bob's Red Mill puts out a good wide variety of almost any grain that are not hybrid or treated with some kind of garbage, but it's an exception rather than the rule.
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:56 am 

Aman, the author of the original article I posted, Dr. Davis, is always talking about a dwarf hybrid form of wheat. It's only about 30 years old so it's not the wheat Tim and I grew up on and it's probably not what you're eating. It's now 99% of the market. http://www.heartscanblog.org/2010/10/dw ... wheat.html
Read through some of the comments in that post. It's interesting.

By the way, my cousin's wife is from Punjab and she makes roti, which is made from atta flour. There is an Indian grocery in town. I assume that's where she gets it. Her homemade yogurt is the best I've ever tried. She brought the starter with her from Punjab.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:03 am 
Novice
Novice

TIMD: Honestly i have never been to US but was under the impression that one could find literally find anything at wal mart stores. :cool:

Stu- you are really lucky to have someone coming from Punjab in your family. In India best food is prepared in Punjab. Infact you would be surpried to know in genral people coming Punjab have better built than rest of the people here in India. You must have tried 'butter chicken' - my favourite food.

From the post I can make out that its difficult from find good wheat in US . in India its impossible to find good quality meat specially - red meat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:18 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
By the way, my cousin's wife is from Punjab and she makes roti, which is made from atta flour.

Sorry for being OT, here in Indonesia "roti" means bread. I wonder why we picked "roti" as the word for bread while there are so many types Indian bread. Perhaps it's the most common?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:27 am 
Novice
Novice

roti is common word just like tea.
there may be many varities of tea such as green , assam, english, ginger , ice etc.