ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:41 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey all,

Anyone have any input on this powder? I've been using it for a little over a month but wanted to check with you guys as to its quality. Any other comments would be 100% appreciated!

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/im ... ey_protein

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:26 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I read this article some time ago, and thought I had bookmarked it, but cannot find it for the life of me. Anyway, it ran down in great detail how protein powder is made, particularly the 3 most popular forms, concentrate, isolates, and a third option that is more expensive that I can't remember.

It came down to saying isolates have the highest biological value - meaning more of the protein ends up in your bloodstream. It also pointed out that a pure isolate product will list zero cholesterol, while a concentrate product will list non-zero cholesterol. So I found a brand here in the US that is pure whey protein isolate, and have been buying it ever since.

The other point was that there is a third type of whey protein product, in which the proteins are refined even further, which supposedly ups their biological value even more -- and at additional expense to the buyer. But evidence says there is no value to this option.

So your produce is concentrates instead of isolates, it is not the best available and not actually the cheapest. The isolates cost a bit more but deliver more protein and so are cheaper per gram of protein delivered to the bloodstream.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:30 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

It shouldn't be hard to find 100% isolate whey it's just a matter of paying the premium price, or at least that's how it is where I live. BTW I'm a bit on a hurry now and can't google much around, but I seem to remember that concentrates contain some stuff that is not in isolates, so that is beneficial to use a product that contains both. Maybe someone who has a better recollection of this will chime in?

edit: clarified

Last edited by mark74 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:19 pm 

Teafan, there is nothing in the ingredient list that I would be concerned of. I prefer whey concentrate simply because it's less processed that isolate and closer to it's natural state. It's also cheaper. I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for isolate. Any good whey concentrate should have 10% Luciene or better. That's sort of my acid test. This one has 10.6%.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:45 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
Any good whey concentrate should have 10% Luciene or better. That's sort of my acid test.

Does that hold true for the common concentrate+isolate powders?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:29 pm 

mark74 wrote:
stuward wrote:
Any good whey concentrate should have 10% Luciene or better. That's sort of my acid test.

Does that hold true for the common concentrate+isolate powders?

Yes. Luciene is the most important protein for muscle gain and fat loss. If you get less than 10%, they're cutting corners and you're not getting what you're paying for.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:58 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Awesome - I knew someone would be able to help!

Thanks for your advice all

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:17 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
Yes. Luciene is the most important protein for muscle gain and fat loss. If you get less than 10%, they're cutting corners and you're not getting what you're paying for.

The one I'm using right now has 10.6%, it's a mix of concentrate and isolate though.

This particular brand has been on special offer and is retailing for less than 16 €/kg ATM. It's also quite soluble, at least on par with Dymatize if not better and infinitely more than Sci-Tec Ultragen. Dymatize Elite can also be had for about 17 €/kg anyway. Most often than not you can get better prices if you buy more than

If anyone's interested in the european area, including UK, east europe etc, just drop me a PM. Or if you know where to get good stuff at better prices :wink: