ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:10 pm 

Tomorrow is pay day.

I am going to spend maybe two hundred or more dollars on a few things I would like some input from people that actually supplemented before and some general ideas regardless heres what I'm thinking.

A protein shake type of supplement that make I take three times a day or what not. I will not be "loading" anything I think thats BS.
Also vitamin supplements maybe a daily dose of some pills to help even me out nutrition wise since I am a meat eater carnivore from hell and don't eat much greens or fruits very very very rarely.

Maybe creatine or jack3d or a pre workout pump type of supplement whether its a drink pills or what not. I havent delved much into this area and I trust everyone here on this site more than I would on a site for said products because they would obviously push their own products claiming its the best thing since sliced bread. Nothing is set in stone but I HAVE to raise the bar. The time is now and I KNOW this would greatly help me any advice is greatly welcomed. Going from barely eating right if that and not supplementing and hitting the gym like a psycho I want to see what can help....sorry if this was long guys. Obviously this means a lot to me. Thanks in advance.

John Corless

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:41 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I think apart from a good protein shake (I like ones with carbs in, my shake has 60g of carbs from oats), fish oil and vitamin D, there's not much else you need really.

Pre-workout energy supps are nonsense, you'd be better off drinking coffee for a stimulant and beetroot juice instead of any nitric oxide supp.

I've also started taking a superfood supplement, it's just ground up freeze-dried fruits/veg that I add a teaspoon of to my night time shake. Time will tell if it does anything but it wasn't that expensive so I figured what the hell.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:14 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a few gram of Test myself... lol. Anyway, though you may have already known about this, I'd like to mention that creatine has been shown to help increase lean mass and performance:

Volek et al.: Performance and muscle fiber adaptations to creatine suplementation and heavy resistance training

I thought myself as a nonresponder to creatine.... But when I stopped taking it, I'd been noticing that my max lifts were about 5kg/11lb less.

BTW Biotest have Anaconda Protocol which is a truckload of their supplements combined. On T-Nation they even have their own Anaconda Protocol subforum and I'm wondering what the fuss is about. One thing for certain is that it's expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:20 pm 

John, there are one or two threads just about creatine. My conclusion is that I only take 5gm/day, I take it every day, not just lifting days, and I take cheap creatine monohydrate, not the fancy stuff that the clerk at GN will tell you is better absorbed. I also take fish oil and glucosamine. The glucoseamine will help only if you have arthritis--it isn't a panacea for joints.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:25 am 

Paperclip wrote:
BTW Biotest have Anaconda Protocol which is a truckload of their supplements combined. On T-Nation they even have their own Anaconda Protocol subforum and I'm wondering what the fuss is about. One thing for certain is that it's expensive.

I'd save your money, it's basically 2 litres of water with about 120g of protein mixed in to it that you drink before, during and after your workout. It's bound to work, I mean, if you take in that amount of protein peri-workout then you're going to be giving your muscles all the protein they need (and then some), but it seems like overkill to me, especially if you're not an advanced level bodybuilder. Isn't it like $400 a month? Madness.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:48 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

That's like my daily protein intake consumed in one sitting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:57 am 

Paperclip wrote:
That's like my daily protein intake consumed in one sitting.

yeah it's mental eh? Don't get me wrong, I love T-Nation, i think that it's one of, in not the best, online resource for training. But that Anaconda Protocol is ludicrously expensive, and now they've brought out that Indigo thing which is like 400 bucks a month too, so it's like 800 bucks a month for the two! And they say you should train twice a day. How can you afford 800 bucks worht of supps a month, and have time to train twice a day? Surely you're having to work every hour god sends just to afford the supps, so how are you finding the time to train so much?

It's all just a massive sham, but their marketing guys know their onions. They have a ridiculously loyal customer base.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:50 am 

There's a sucker born every minute.

http://www.ampedtraining.com/2009/hatin ... a-protocol

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:55 pm 

heh, that's a good find there Stu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:02 pm 

wowzers, not to derail the thread any further, but ten seconds of googling "alan aragorn t-nation" throws up all kinds of criticisms and angry rebuttals

I don't like it when mummy and daddy fight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:12 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I was reading about liver tabs the other night. I wonder if there anything to them. Reg Park seemed to like them from what i was reading, I just don't know if there would be any sense in using them now or if modern supps have taken their place. Anyone know?

Ouch!
Digger