ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:44 am 

Hi guys, I'm trying to make my diet healthier and I saw that bread is junk food, so it would be nice to throw it out. Especially because probably it shouldn't be a big problem.
But I don't know what I should eat for breakfast... Now I eat every morning bread + butter + honey and milk, and I don't know how to replace that combination... Image
Any suggestions? I thought I could just eat honey with a spoon, but I guess that I'll be very hungry. I think I should leave that for moments when I want to eat chocolate.

P.S. I'm not a fan of those stupid eggs so it would be nice if there is another option.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:03 am 

Stefan, breakfast is a problem for most people since the tradional cereal or toast is ruled out for people who are trying to reduce the grain in their diet. Honey, is an occational sweetner, even though it's natural, we were never designed to eat it in volume. It is high in fructose. You body reacts the same as if you were drinking pop.

The best breakfast consists of a protein source, like eggs, fish or meat, coupled with a fat source, like butter, olive oil, cream, etc. You should add a vegetable or fruit for the anitoxidants, vitamins and fibre. if you have the flexibility, you should wait until you are actually hungry to eat, instead of automatically eat when you get up.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:42 am 

Isn't honey the best thing we can eat? Everyone everywhere says that we could live only on water and honey?

What do you eat for breakfast? I tried to find something but I couldn't. That what you are describing looks to me like lunch or dinner. From October I'll go to College and I won't have enough time to make some meat or something...

I have flexibility, I have been recently on only water for one day and it wasn't such a big deal... I thought we should eat immediately after we wake up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:50 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I think oatmeal is a popular choice for BBs. It's uncommon where I live, and not worth the effort/cost IMO.

I've tried substituting muesli with milk for oatmeal, then eventually gave up breakfast altogether.

The basic problem with it, is if you don't want your blood sugar to hop on the roller coaster, you should treat it as a normal meal, which is cumbersome for most people.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:53 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I eat 3 eggs with cheddar cheese - or if I am tired/grumpy/not in the mood for eggs I'll still revert back to something like toast. I do slack on breakfast, but I do eat eggs/oats a lot, so occasional 2 slices of bread gets thrown in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:14 am 

Well, oatmeal is processed and I think that is even unhealthier than bread...
mark, breakfast is very important both for brain and for muscles so you should start eating it again.

RobertB, what kind of eggs do you eat? Fried, cooked...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Stefan 93 wrote:
Well, oatmeal is processed and I think that is even unhealthier than bread...

It has a lower glycemic/insulin index than bread that's why it's often preferred.

Stefan 93 wrote:
mark, breakfast is very important both for brain and for muscles so you should start eating it again.

That breakfast is important is one of those myths that's born off silly studies that rely on correlation. See:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-te ... unked.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:04 am 

If you're going to have a busy day of hard physical work, have some oatmeat, muesli, whatever. If not, it's best to restrict carbs in the morning so your body has the oportunity to burn some fat during the day. What I normally eat is, coffee with milk or cream at 6:30, workout at 8, A piece of fruit and a can of sardines at my desk at 9:30. On the weekend, I'll have a bunch of eggs around 10. One good alternative is to make extra for dinner and eat leftoers for breakfast. No one want's to spend an hour preparing breakfast but heating up leftovers is easy. Cold porkchops or hamburger patties are also good choices if you're in a hurry.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:12 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Stefan 93 wrote:
RobertB, what kind of eggs do you eat? Fried, cooked...

Always scrambled or omellette form - my mom cooks a fry up on Sundays so that's one fried egg. No particular aversion to any method of cooking them - just find scrambled easy/good breakfast.

And oh god Stu, the idea of cold pork chops turns my stomach... not to dismiss the idea, just throwing in my issues with non typical breakfast meats at that time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:19 am 

Stefan 93 wrote:
Isn't honey the best thing we can eat? Everyone everywhere says that we could live only on water and honey?....

Honey may be the best "sweetener" but it's not the best food. Some use water and honey as a cleansing fast but any benefit comes from restricting grains, not in anything magical in the honey. And I don't think this is recommended by "Everyone everywhere". Theres nothing wrong with a spoonful a day, and that amount can provide, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal benefits but more than that is largely empty calories, as it's basically sugar.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... ce&dbid=96
You need raw honey, not pasturized. Pasturized honey is just sugar.
Quote:
When raw honey is extensively processed and heated, the benefits of these phytonutrients are largely eliminated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:00 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm curious does it have to be all bread or is a switch to sourdough or rye OK?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:04 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

digger wrote:

It's all the same. Although, I'm a lover and baker of all sorts of breads as I own a bakery, so I just go against most advice against bread. hehe
I don't go all overboard though, I try to limit it to just a few pieces here and there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:08 am 

jlmoss wrote:
digger wrote:

It's all the same. Although, I'm a lover and baker of all sorts of breads as I own a bakery, so I just go against most advice against bread. hehe
I don't go all overboard though, I try to limit it to just a few pieces here and there.

I think, as with most things, that if you just go with quality over quantity, you're better off.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:31 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

ezekiel bread is supposed to be pretty good for you...

I would just drink a protein shake.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:52 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Stefan 93 wrote:
Now I eat every morning bread + butter + honey and milk, and I don't know how to replace that combination...
Any suggestions?

Yes.
If you cant figure out how to repalce this mess, how do you manage to put one foot in front of the other?

Stefan 93 wrote:
I thought I could just eat honey with a spoon, but I guess that I'll be very hungry.

Yeah, that's the main problem with eating large quanities of honey, the hunger.

Stefan 93 wrote:
P.S. I'm not a fan of those stupid eggs so it would be nice if there is another option.

I'd take an Eggs IQ over some folks.