It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

found an article.. not sure if been posted before
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1474076

Abstract
Leucine kinetic and nitrogen balance (NBAL) methods were used to determine the dietary protein requirements of strength athletes (SA) compared with sedentary subjects (S). Individual subjects were randomly assigned to one of three protein intakes: low protein (LP) = 0.86 g protein.kg-1.day-1, moderate protein (MP) = 1.40 g protein.kg-1.day-1, or high protein (HP) = 2.40 g protein.kg-1.day-1 for 13 days for each dietary treatment. NBAL was measured and whole body protein synthesis (WBPS) and leucine oxidation were determined from L-[1-13C]leucine turnover. NBAL data were used to determine that the protein intake for zero NBAL for S was 0.69 g.kg-1.day-1 and for SA was 1.41 g.kg-1.day-1. A suggested recommended intake for S was 0.89 g.kg-1.day-1 and for SA was 1.76 g.kg-1.day-1. For SA, the LP diet did not provide adequate protein and resulted in an accommodated state (decreased WBPS vs. MP and HP), and the MP diet resulted in a state of adaptation [increase in WBPS (vs. LP) and no change in leucine oxidation (vs. LP)]. The HP diet did not result in increased WBPS compared with the MP diet, but leucine oxidation did increase significantly, indicating a nutrient overload. For S the LP diet provided adequate protein, and increasing protein intake did not increase WBPS. On the HP diet leucine oxidation increased for S. These results indicated that the MP and HP diets were nutrient overloads for S. There were no effects of varying protein intake on indexes of lean body mass (creatinine excretion, body density) for either group. In summary, protein requirements for athletes performing strength training are greater than for sedentary individuals and are above current Canadian and US recommended daily protein intake requirements for young healthy males.

So its about 1.4g/kg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:32 am 
Novice
Novice

Harpoon wrote:
So its about 1.4g/kg

That is not lean mass is it, but overall mass?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:21 pm 
former lurker

I was under the impression that on the hcg diet program you don't exercise until after the diet program
is complete. Or did I get that wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:59 pm 

I didn't think anyone here used the hgc diet, but any diet where you can't exercise is useless. It's a good reason not to follow it. If you want advice on what to do instead, start a new thread.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:24 pm 

The HCG diet is a big fraud. Unless you are a woman who is trying to induce ovulation, and that under the supervision of a doctor, do not inject yourself with human chorionic gonatrophin. Don't bother with the drops either. They do nothing but enrich the sellers.

This reminds me of a funny story about our days in infertility treatment.... No, come to think of it, it's not all that funny. It had to do with my giving my wife a shot, though, and that's a little funny.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:31 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

it was attempted spam no doubt
I meant to flag it but, you know, kinder gentler me.

that diet has ads all over the net with hypers getting a piece of the action

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:07 pm 

It's a flawed study - nitrogen balance is a terrible indicator of protein requirements, yet continues to be used.

To assume myself, at 95kg (95x2.2 = ~210lbs) would only need 131g of protein is silly.

Secondly, your protein requirements are entirely dependent on your diet and training. If you're over-eating, then yes, you don't need as much protein because oxidation is lowered.

If you're dieting, protein intakes increase substantially. If you train heavily and regularly, protein intakes will also be increased due to muscle protein breakdown.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:14 pm 

Agreed, but the article was not how much you can use, but how much do you need. "Need" is subjective on it's own, in this case it was to merely support strength training. If your "need" is to get leaner, or bigger, then this is a meaningless article.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley