ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B-Complex (Neurobion)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:21 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

People in my gym (and a lot of athletes in this part of the world) often consume Neurobion either regularly, when they feel their muscles ache from training, when they are feeling lethargic, etc. There are different "grades" of Neurobion but most use the highest 5000 version, which consists of vit. B1 100mg, B6 100mg, and B12 5000mcg.

Usually they use the injectable version and I've tried it on some occasions. I'm not sure if I'm feeling the benefit (if any). Have you tried consuming B-Complex before? What's your experience? Neurobion is marketed as a neurotropic and I'm not sure what the benefit is for weight lifters.

http://www.mims.com/Malaysia/drug/info/Neurobion/?type=full#Indications

BTW it seems that Neurobion isn't sold in the USA, but you can find it in other places of the world. But there must be a lot of other B-Complex products circulating around.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:51 am 

I have known of people injecting vitamin b-12 and actually dated a female that used them and said she felt great after taking it. I have never but if she said it made her feel better I wouldn't doubt it.

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:08 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I've read some info on vit. B12 and apparently through my diet (meat and eggs) I may already consume enough vit. B12.

EDIT:
I think I and the others I've mentioned before may not have the correct reason for taking Neurobion (B1, B6, and B12). After reading how vit B in general is important for neural functions, is it wrong to assume that consuming B complex might improve the motor learning process? Depending on how great the effect would be, it could help me in my sport (weightlifting). Some have said (in the wiki B6 article) that ingesting B6 50mg/day improves their mental acuity.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:21 am 

The only thing you can do is test yourself be your own subject. See how you feel before hand. Take the b6 or what ever note the changes you feel and if you want them continue taking it if not don't.

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:29 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I have actually been taking the injectable version of Neurobion (B1 100mg, B6 100mg, and B12 5000mcg) 2x/week but feel nothing extraordinary so far. I'm planning to take the oral version daily as recommended (for treating cases).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:33 pm 

There B-12 injections have been subject to large placebo effects. Lot's of people feel better after them even though they have not been deficient.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:17 pm 
Novice
Novice

Paperclip wrote:
People in my gym (and a lot of athletes in this part of the world) often consume Neurobion either regularly, when they feel their muscles ache from training, when they are feeling lethargic, etc.

I used to know a couple of greyhound trainers who would swear by giving their dogs an injection before a race. Not sure if it was legal for the racing though!

I have heard that it is common practice in that industry to at least give them to recovering animals, post-injury - perhaps close to your situation of muscle ache post-training?

Jungledoc wrote:
There B-12 injections have been subject to large placebo effects. Lot's of people feel better after them even though they have not been deficient.

And deficiencies are uncommon to start with!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:28 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Ausbris wrote:
I used to know a couple of greyhound trainers who would swear by giving their dogs an injection before a race. Not sure if it was legal for the racing though!

I have heard that it is common practice in that industry to at least give them to recovering animals, post-injury - perhaps close to your situation of muscle ache post-training?

If what doc said is true then I guess that's the reason most people inject it (feeling good and placebo effect).

BTW, I don't think that vitamin could be a banned substance!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you have had gastric bypass and haven't been taking your oral b12, you might need an injection to get yourself back to normal again. That's the only reason I can think of to do that though. For most people a halfway decent diet and a multi is all you need.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:52 am 

There are people who lack an enzyme that is necessary for B-12 absorption. That's the main thing that the shots have been used for over the years, but there's an oral product now that includes the enzyme.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:52 am 
Novice
Novice

Jungledoc wrote:
There are people who lack an enzyme that is necessary for B-12 absorption. That's the main thing that the shots have been used for over the years, but there's an oral product now that includes the enzyme.

Out of curiosity, does the oral product you're referring to contain intrinsic factor or Methylmalonyl-CoA mutase?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:58 am 

commodiusvicus wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

Out of curiosity, does the oral product you're referring to contain intrinsic factor or Methylmalonyl-CoA mutase?

I don't know about the newest products, but there used to be oral forms with intrinsic factor, I believe from sheep. Or pigs. My connection is too slow tonight for me to be enthusiastic about finding out for sure. Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:17 am 
Novice
Novice

Jungledoc wrote:
commodiusvicus wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

I don't know about the newest products, but there used to be oral forms with intrinsic factor, I believe from sheep. Or pigs. My connection is too slow tonight for me to be enthusiastic about finding out for sure. Sorry.

That's alright, a simple google search revealed OTC products containing IF but not the mutase. I guess people with Methylmalonic acidemia still have to get stuck.

I was just curious because i understand that many people who are IF deficient can just take the oral B-12 supplements since even the tiny amount that's absorbed via passive diffusion in the gut can be enough considering one dose often has like 1000% of the RDA. But i guess a little extra IF might do some good for people who have pretty severe pernicious anemia going on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:53 pm 
n00b
n00b

I've often read that a vitamin B deficiency is a cause of disease. I'm not sure what other elements must align in order for disease to take root, but I think it's possible for vitamin deficiencies to be a cause. I'd like to go to the doctor and get tested to see if I have deficiencies. Are there clinics that do that without having to see a doctor?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:44 pm 

Here are some of the effects you could expect from B vitamin deficiencies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_vitamins ... deficiency

The reductionist approach to nutrition doesn't work very well. Whole food sources of vitamins are always better than supplements. Eating a variety and an abundance of meat, vegetables and some fruit with a little sunlight each day will generally provide all the nutrition you need.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley