ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daily Diet Plan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:17 am 
former lurker

Does anyone know where I can find a daily diet plan? A grocery shopping list of a big basket of food that I can eat every day.

I'm a 34 year old male, i weigh 195 at 5'10" I'd like to lose ~25 lbs. I have a rowing machine at home that i plan to use 5 times a week. (25-30 spm, 5000-10000 meters, 30-60 minutes/day)
The only diet restrictions I have are a dislike of Onions, Tomatoes, Peppers and Cilantro. (basically everything in Pico de Gallo)

In an ideal situation I would eat the same food for each meal every day and I would have the same weekly shopping list. I'm fine with that. The trouble I'm having is that I cant seem to find a grocery list or a perfect meal plan for 1 day of nutrition for a healthy adult. People have dietary suggestions, but it really seems like no one knows and that is giving me way too much wiggle room and the amount of research I have to put in to every day meals is exhausting.

Any nutrition advice that anyone can give would be so incredibly useful. Even if you could point me the right direction. Maybe there is a weight loss diet that is more cut to the chase and leaves zero room for me to "figure it out on my own".

:lol: , i'm so damn lazy.

Post subject: Re: Daily Diet Plan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:04 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

As a skinny guy trying to gain weight, my goals are a bit different, but nutrition is fairly constant.

Try this. I used this to lose about 1 pound every 10 days when my mid-section was growing instead of my muscles.

This makes 4-5 meals, just double it to make more.

3 chicken breasts with some rib meat. This is the cheapest. Dice it up, throw it in a grill pan with a bit of olive oil and season to taste. (No cilantro ha ha, but I find that overrated. Anything with cumin or chili powder works for me).

Cook 3/4 cup of rice. Maybe less if you are afraid of the carbs.

A pile of vegetables. When lazy two 1lbs bag of frozen veggies works. Or if you are in a culinary mood buy some fresh and cut them up. Steam them or just toss them in a pot of water and heat them up and drain them.

Then divide it up in some plastic lunch containers and put it in the fridge.

For change of pace, substitute beef for chicken.

Post subject: Re: Daily Diet Plan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:35 pm 

I generally use a BMI Calculartor to get an initial handle on whether someone really needs to lose weight or not. 25 lbs will take you to the top of the normal range, so, assuming you have normal amounts of muscle, that's a good goal.

Use a Energy expenditure calculator (on this site) to determine the amount you need in order to achieve a weight loss at a reasonable rate (.7% of body weight per week is reasonable). .7% * 195 * 3500 calories / 7 days/week = 700 calorie deficit per week. Average your calorie deficit over a week. At least once a week you should be at maintenance or higher. At this rate rate it will take you 4 or 5 month to lose the fat but you should have minimal muscle loss assuming you are consistant with your training.

Once you know what you can afford to eat, go here: http://eatthismuch.com/

This site will give you simple menus that will hit your target. The costs may be optomistic. For example cheese is about 3 times as expensive as their estimate.

Edit: You need strength training to prevent muscle loss. Even bodyweight will do as long as it's challenging.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley