ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eating Plan Sufficient?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:24 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Ok, so I am getting into the the good eating thing and wanted to run it by you guys to see if there's anything I'm missing.

Breakfast: 4 eggs, some bacon

Lunch: Some type of whole meat... be it a steak, pork, or fish

Dinner: More meat... steak, pork, or fish.

Vegetables - 2 lb bag of frozen vegetables throughout the day.

Milk - 1/2 gallon of milk a day

Water - As much as I need to stay hydrated.

Fish Oil - One tablet in the morning, one at night.

I'm doing the fish oil because everyone on here is saying Omega 3 and I just simply don't like fish that much. How much fish would I need to get as much O-3 from two capsules a day?

Ground beef should be good also every once in a while yes?

I'm going with what Stu has said in the past and cutting out wheat products for a month or two to see how I feel at the end of it.

Anything else I should be adding or should I be taking some stuff away?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:59 am 

1 can of sardines will give you a couple of days worth of O3. Tuna, trout, char or salmon are also rich sources. White fish, not so much.

You should add 1 or 2 pieces of fruit/day, preferably some berries. A few mixed nuts are also good.

What are your goals? Milk seems to be good for gains but not for cutting. You may need some carbs (swet potato, white rice, white potatoes) if you're very active.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:15 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Fruits & nuts, check, I'll put them in somewhere as a snack when I'm at work. Nuts should be unsalted, yes?

I am a good bit overweight. I'm just looking to be healthy not really cutting to be mr6pack. Still working on strength gains. A good 40 - 50 pounds would be nice though, lol. Still working on Starting Strength. I like milk, and knew from you guys it was an easy source of protein, so I figured I'd use that. If you think I have to go with shakes... I guess I'll have to. *drags feet* lol

Hmmm, sardines eh? lol, never really had them but seems like most turn their noses up to it. I will give it a try though. A good inch or two thick cut of salmon wouldn't be a bad dinner steak once or twice a week either I guess. Although, I'll have to learn to cook a good salmon steak. I think the key to fish steaks are starting off with light heat and keep it that way, lol. How many minutes on each side? Anyone know? I'd assume some fresh smashed garlic and lemon juice to marinate also wouldn't be too bad?

*edit*

Oh... and I'll be happy! to add the potatoes. I love me some potatoes...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:18 pm 

The potatoes should be at most, once a day. Don't go crazy on them as they will affect your weight loss goals. Go low carb the rest of the time, that means milk should be limited as well. Ideally, have milk after your workout, otherwise, a small glass with your means is OK.

Any small fish, capelin, herring, smelts, etc will be high in O3, but since WV is landlocked, you probably don't have much of a fishing industry. Canned sardines are fine. Go with ones packed in water or olive oil. I like the mustard ones. They have a little soy in them but I like the taste and the smell is the least offensive. Don't pay extra for "wild caught." That's just marketing. All sardines are wild caught because it's not worth the expense to farm them.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:33 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I'm working in N.VA and travel back to WV over the weekend to hang out with the family. Had to get a job to support the wife and her bakery until it is able to support itself.

So, I have access to some good fresh fish if needed... at least fresher fish options than in WV, hehe.

Yesterday I officially jumped into my eating plan full steam. I felt quite a bit hungry all day eventhough I ate a ton. Any suggestions? Sign that I'm not eating enough or just my body adjusting to the healthy and my minds sugar addictions way of conning me into eating the non-healthy? Maybe I should eat more protien to combat?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:48 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

jlmoss wrote:
Yesterday I officially jumped into my eating plan full steam. I felt quite a bit hungry all day eventhough I ate a ton. Any suggestions? Sign that I'm not eating enough or just my body adjusting to the healthy and my minds sugar addictions way of conning me into eating the non-healthy? Maybe I should eat more protien to combat?

I personally think hunger is not a sign to eat. It's good to feel hungry. Grehlin is a hormone that is the main cause for your hunger. It's produced in stomach and pancreas mostly. The hormone stimulates hunger. It's most active in the morning, and before a meal. Also when fasting. After the meal it's logically decreased. Now, what's great is that Grehlin is also a very Active in growth hormone stimulation. When there is grehlin, there is more growth hormone production, which equals for more muscle if you want to simplify it.

Eating less carbs could be one of the reasons you are feeling hungry, since your blood sugar levels are way more stable, by which I mean there is less insulin when there is less carbs. When your blood sugar goes up, it also comes down. When it comes down, Grehlin is produced. The change is small, but this is my theory of the issue.

Hunger isn't the main way of controlling your eating. If you are eating proper amounts already, there is no reason to add feeding if you don't want to. I think your body will adapt. Or atleast you will learn to control and cope with hunger.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:36 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hmmm, not sure I'm sold on the need to be hungry thing for the rest of my life.

It's gotta be that I just need to adapt to the amount or type of foods that I'm taking in... right?

I mean, I went 23 years before I started gaining weight of not being hungry. I only started to gain weight because I kept eating the same amount of food as if I was still in the military, didn't have a metal pole in my lower leg, and was active to the max every day.

Really? Cope with hunger for the rest of my life? That's a pretty grim and 'heavy' thing your giving me, lol.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:32 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

you're thinking abot food all day now and for the first time, perhaps, denying yourself. When I wrote everything down I ate (without pre planning macros), I lost 16 pounds in 20 days. Point being, I must have beed eating a lot more before than I realized. I'd be curious what your actual intake is now. Maybe you are eating too little.
Hows your fat intake ? Fiber ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:50 am 

John Berardi did a very interesting self-experiment in intermittent fasting. One of the benefits was in hunger management. Just the ability to go without food once in a while was beneficial simply because you learn to interpret hunger signals. He recommends a frequency of between once a week and once a year. Here's the whole report. http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

You should not be hungry all the time. That leads to thyroid dysfunction, reduced metabolism and fat gain. Conversely, you should not eat at every indication that you are not full. That leads to over-eating and fat gain. There is a point in the middle where fat loss is possible and sorting out hunger signals is part of the process.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:21 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

half a gallon of milk is a lot of calories when you're cutting...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:07 am 

robertscott wrote:
half a gallon of milk is a lot of calories when you're cutting...

It's not so much the calories as the carbs. 2 litres of milk is about 125 calories which is more than required for maintenance. If spread out property, with about 500 ml after an intense workout and the rest at dinner, no more than 250 ml at other meals, and an otherwise very low carb diet, if may be doable. Certainly potatoes would not be a good idea if this much milk is consumed. The other components of the milk should support muscle growth, although it's possible that some chemical additives like hormones or pesticides could reduce that effectiveness.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:38 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Yeah, I toned down the milk like Stu said in his first couple of posts, even though I could drink that stuff all day. I have a couple ~10 oz glasses of milk for breakfast after workouts and that's it. On the days I don't work out, it's just one glass of milk and the rest water.

No carbs so far except for the 2 lb bag of vegetables every day.

I still should be able to grab a potato a day with that little bit of milk I have per day yeah?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:44 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

So, let's talk about emergency plans shall we?

If I'm really tired, or killed myself on a workout and/or just don't have the time to cook some lunch & dinner to take to work... What's a good fast food alternative?

I've been thinking Chipotle's... I can get a burrito bowl (no tortilla/carbs from a wrap) with half the rice, double the meat (1 steak & 1 chicken serving), black beans?, lettuce, pico de gallo (tomatoes & onion on a small dice with cilantro), corn w/cilantro, sour cream, cheese, & guacamole.

The meat and stuff is cooked right there in front of you so it seems fresh. Not sure about the black beans, sour cream, and guacamole though. All these things good? I think the guacamole is fresh made.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:48 pm 

jlmoss wrote:
If I'm really tired, or killed myself on a workout and/or just don't have the time to cook some lunch & dinner to take to work... What's a good fast food alternative?

shame on you

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:07 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

robertscott wrote:
jlmoss wrote:

shame on you

6 scrambled eggs....with cheese! :cheers:

Woosh! How fast is that!?