ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:03 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi folks--I just have a clarifying question.

I bought some kashi cereal and some whole wheat spinach pasta. I bought them because (A) I love cereal and pasta and (B) they have a higher amount of protein than your typical cereal and pasta.

Kashi has about 14 gram per cup (about 1/3 calories comes from protein) while the pasta is 9 grams per serving (about 20% calories is protein). I am aware that these protein sources are incomplete, which is why the milk helps as well as the turkey and chicken I mix with my pasta.

My question is more: is it odd that these grains have so much protein? Did they do something weird to these foods? Or are these guys just naturally high in protein. I mean--the cereal and milk combined gives a whopping 36 grams of protein for a measely 400 calories (2 cups cereal, plus milk)...that is a pretty protein rich meal for a bowl of cereal...I sense shenanigans. Your thoughts?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:12 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

It's relatively not that odd. Spinach is an ok source of protein, as well as some vitamins, some products and types of spinach have high amounts of protein.

Sometimes the products also have some protein added on them, like whey protein or casein or similar. I think that's the case with your cereal. It's just prosecced sugar and added protein. It should be included on the ingredient list, check it out. Plus milk is just rich in protein in general. I think many cereals are just poor in nutritional value, but if there's a way to add something useful to them, like protein, it's a bit better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:53 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Kashi has been in the news recently.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industrie ... 54616576/1

Kashi has responded this way: http://www.kashi.com/ourcommitment

The protein comes from added soy, although grains naturally contain some.

In my opinion, grains and legumes, of any type, introduce anti-nutrients that can insidiously cause disease and also displace healthier foods like fruits, vegetables, meat, fish and eggs.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:13 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

stuward wrote:
The protein comes from added soy, although grains naturally contain some.
In my opinion, grains and legumes, of any type, introduce anti-nutrients that can insidiously cause disease and also displace healthier foods like fruits, vegetables, meat, fish and eggs.

I don't know if this is exactly what you mean, but John Kiefer wrote an interesting article this weekend about the anti-nutritional effects of soy. To cut the long story short, it was about soy preventing the release of protein chopping enzyme trypsin. Which has huge consequences on the digestion and use of protein. It was an interesting read nontheless. I never likerd soy protein anyway, it tastes like crap in my humble opinion.

http://articles.elitefts.com/nutrition/ ... in-killer/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:15 am 
n00b
n00b

Never understood that argument. "It has one gene that shouldn't be there, therefore it is bad for me".

stuward wrote:

Is there evidence for this? I heard the whole lectin argument before (convinced), but anything in moderation is probably fine eh? I mean, yeah get carbs from non starchy veggies, but not all grains and legumes are bubonic-like.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:35 am 

Maybe not bubonic-like, that`s why I said insidious. Many can eat grains and legumes in moderation but those with symptoms they can`t explain would do well to try eliminating these foods and see what difference it makes. Read `The Paleo Solution`by Robb Wolf for a more detailed explanation. Calorie for calorie, Veggies and meats are clearly more nutritious than grains. Eliminating grains usually results in a huge increase in all micro-nutrients. Legumes are not so clear cut as they are quite nutritionally dense. The argument here is the lectins, acid balance and also gut fermentation. Moderation is clearly the key with legumes.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:04 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the clarification Stuward--

It sounds like I just need to tough it out and pay the extra dough for some good veggies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:28 am 

Joining a CSA group is a good idea. Around here there are lots of local vegetable markets that are quite affordable. Don`t stress out over organic, it`s a little overrated and not always good value. Local is usually best, both nutritionally and affordability.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:36 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I find a high fiber cereal helps me pack'em better before shipping.
Maybe 2-3 bowls /week.

srs