ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:43 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

get involved Oscar! Between myself, Stu, jlmoss and Dub we've a good group so you should definitely give it a go.

You fancy trying to slim down a little Andy?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:29 pm 

Pressure, pressure.

I'll give it some thought. Really, not just procrastinating.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:36 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

So, I started this thing today.

Pre-cooked some chicken thighs w/1 slice of bacon each thigh and about 2 lb's of meatloaf (ground beef, 8 slices of bacon, 1/2 green pepper, and bunch of spices) all yesterday before coming into town to work for the week.

Today, had lots of food & lots of water so far. Still hungry as all get out and just feel tired. I'm wondering if it's the loss of bread/carbs?

Breaky: *edit* 2 eggs, 1/4 lb meatloaf
Lunch: 1 lb mixed veggies, 1 chicken thigh w/bacon (maybe 1/8 lb of chicken?)
Dinnger: 1/2 lb of meatloaf
About 7 12 oz cups of water.

So... should I increase my food intake or just tough it out if it is indeed the loss of bread & other sugary stuff?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:56 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Think I found something. Stu's post a few down... viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8859&start=15#p86506

That led me to google 'low carb flu' and I found... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb ... z1xp1sptOf

I'll give it a few days though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:41 am 

Jlmoss I would only increase the food if you're feeling hungry. Just stay the course man, it'll get easier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:37 am 

abs are looking better and I'm down a notch on my belt (although I still wear it on the bigger notch because my jeans get all bunched up and stupid looking if I don't).

Not bad for a month's work. Carb back loading is the mutt's nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:45 am 

You're probably doing better than I am. If anything I'm getting worse. I've been on and off the road for so long, it's hard to maintain a routine.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:11 am 

I've lost 4lbs, and am looking a bit leaner. I'm on target to hit my goal of uber-ripped by September.

Is anyone else still doing this?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:36 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Still here, eating cleaner and feeling healthier than ever. Seriously.

Bodyweight has remained quite same, it's bouncing between 72-75kg, depending on wether it's been workout days or off days. So carb cycling strongly affects that. I only eat about 2000kcal (130-190g of protein, 50-100g carbs, rest fat) on off days, have cut all the grains, potatoes and rice and such from the menus of low carb days. Creatine hasn't swollen me up one bit, only affected on strenght, which is exactly what I wanted.

New items on the menu: especially on LC days: Spinach, various beans and legumes, homemade salsa, etc. Trying lots of new things.

Haven't measured waist yet, the previous number is from the first days of june, it was 86cm or 33" 1/2. But abs are coming more visible every day. Yet ribs aren't sticking out anymore.

One thing that's under investigation is the effects that grains, and particulary white flour and non- 100% whole wheat causes to me. Sometimes my stomach is a mess, but no such issues on low carb days. Next week I take a close look, if it continues, I'll eliminate all Wheat from the diet for a week, eating only oats, potato rice and such. We'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:57 am 

nice work Dub, are you doing any cardio?

It's good that you're branching out with your food choices, girls love a guy that can cook!

As for your stomach issues, are you drinking many whey shakes? I find if I drink more than one shake a day I'll get some stomach discomfort. It's weird, I can handle my breakfast shake fine but any more than that and I'll feel pretty rough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:31 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

robertscott wrote:
nice work Dub, are you doing any cardio?

Not yet, I've been thinking about that. I wanted to first go one full Cycle of 531 before adding anything. I will add atleast sprints and it's variations (speed, agility work). When the goal is optimal and best performance tho, I'm conserned interval work will strike on the strength levels, which are more important at the moment. Unless I eat like a horse.
Also I've been walking way more, like 1h-2h a day minimun. Activity. It's good to have a dog.
Quote:
It's good that you're branching out with your food choices, girls love a guy that can cook!

Nevermind the girls. Nothing is more awesome than to cook something spectacular for yourself and eat everything without regrets. Has happened.

Quote:
As for your stomach issues, are you drinking many whey shakes? I find if I drink more than one shake a day I'll get some stomach discomfort. It's weird, I can handle my breakfast shake fine but any more than that and I'll feel pretty rough.

As a matter of fact I have. But I reduced it few weeks back (from 70g of whey powder a day to 28-56g a day, the latter on workout days, former on rest days). But that's also a point to consider, I'll move my focus there after these testes if the problem hasn't been solved.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:45 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Summers kind of done atleast in here. How has everyone been doing? Did you manage to shed that fat Robert? What about Stu? Slimmed on waist? Did you guys learn anything, or found something new?

Overall, no measurements yet involved, but I would bet I lost some fat this summer, and gained muscle. I'm now 74-75kg, and leaner than ever. Some relatives saw some muscle growth so I quess something has happened. I have somewhat visible abs, especially in the morning, a thing I didn't much have a couple of months ago. Strength has gone way up in the past months. So all in all, a great result for me. Worked like a charm.

I found a eating pattern that is easy to keep and causes no stress or worries. I just do very simple carb cycling. No counting or anything, just on the rest days I tend to eat mainly greens, protein and fat, and on workout day I'll have plenty of carbs post workout. Grains aren't a problem to me, but I still prefer whole grain for the fiber. I'll allow some big carbs on rest days as well (In one meal or so), but try to avoid them as much as possible. No stress. Also, one cheat day a week has been awesome. Normally it's just a bag of candy or a beer or both, so nothing huge gluttony there either. Plenty of protein, way more greens, and carbs for workout fuel. That's one simple eating pattern. No need to make anything more of it. It'll last longer and keep me in a good shape.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:12 am 

I learned that it's hard to be consistant with exercise when you're moving around a lot. No, my waist is the same.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:05 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

robertscott wrote:
...once I've trained I'll drink a carby mass gainer shake, and then eat loads of - mostly clean - carbs until bedtime.

I missed this thread originally or perhaps I signed up a bit after it was created.

I mentioned this before, but going from size 36 sitting tight to 32 sitting loose, makes me wanna mention this again: In about 9 weeks I've lost about 30lb (while lifting and progressing in strength) and went from 17.5%BF to a current 12.2%. All I did is completely throw out all the food I had, threw out all the take out menus, and started off clean in each food group. What helped a lot is the advice around here to completely do away with grains other than pre and post workout.

You've said on several occasions that you are not really in favor of this "grain policy". Is this still true?
Can you break down "loads of carbs until bedtime" into ratios of grain-veg-fruit?

btw, I'm starting to see an outline of 2 cubes right below the rib cage. I reckon that killing the small visceral pouch below will be a mean task given that the bastard survived the fat massacre of the last 3 months...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:50 am 

my recomping efforts pretty much ground to a halt so I'm back on the bulking!