ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:59 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Travis wrote:
Raspberries are high in fiber, aren't processed, and don't contain any grain products--
Actually I think all berries fit those conditions! After 20+ years of eating breakfast cereals or oatmeal every morning, I've switch to a handful of nuts and berries with greek yogurt.

Emil don't let all this advice overwhelm you -- most of us on this forum have been playing the real food game for a while now.
You'll probably have more success incorporating these ideas if you don't try to go 100% RIGHT NOW!!! Try improving just a couple things for a while, see what works for you then tackle another issue.

Thanks a lot for that! Berries, almonds, and greek yogurt are all at home so I can try tomorrow. I like 2 eggs with a bit of 100% organic egwhite mix and about 10g of whole grains in form of toast. Most whole grains, even those made out of "ancient grains" have whole rye kernels in them. Dub mentioned the rye is bad. What do you think?

In my short time here, I gained by far more practical and applicable knowledge than in 2 months prior. If anything, I hope I am not overwhelming the forum with questions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

Rye is just another grain and grain products are dietary fillers-- if you can't get the calories you need elsewhere.
To me, ancient grains seems like a gimmick-- they are still small seeds that need to be processed (and flavored) before they're edible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:47 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Travis wrote:
Rye is just another grain and grain products are dietary fillers-- if you can't get the calories you need elsewhere.
To me, ancient grains seems like a gimmick-- they are still small seeds that need to be processed (and flavored) before they're edible.

So you'd advise against barley and/or al dente-cooked whole grain pasta? These are as low on GI as it gets and I'm just not sure what carb I'd have for fuel pre-workout otherwise (if all my whole grain breads are ruled out).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:18 pm 
Novice
Novice

Personally, I don't need them. I have berries and yogurt an hour or so before my workout, and milk with protein powder after.
I do have a casual eating day on Saturday when I get together with my buddies and eat whatever-- pizza, hamburgers, a couple of beers-- but the rest of the week I'm no grain.

I find pasta is just a vehicle for the sauces-- I really like "spaghetti" marinara sauce on ground beef instead of over noodles.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:20 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

emil3m wrote:
So I'm assuming you dress your salads with Blasamic Vinegar, Olive Oil, Fresh Lemon, and Pepper (no salt)?

Clearly you have not seen me in my under wear