ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When and what to eat?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:23 am 
Novice
Novice

I'm only 2 weeks in diet and nutrition and since then I'm only using this site for information. I found many interesting articles and read great articles, but main problem is that I want to gain weight (bulk up?). As I already mentioned I'm 175cm/60kg and I'm concentrating on bodyweight training. I want to know what to eat on days when I train and what to eat on off days. Should diet be similar (high on protein and carbos) or I can do some variations? One bigger problem is that I'm allergic on egg white so it's not possible to eat it daily. I don't have some special nutrition plan because my lunch depends on what mom will cook :roll:

This is how my plan looks like:

Breakfast:

200g of white bread (I'm currently transitioning on "black") with some prayer (butter with honey, peanut butter...)
150g of fruit yoghurt or 250g of "normal" yoghurt or glass of juice
3 "spirulina pacifica" pills

Snack:

Usually nothing ( I really need help with this one here! )

Lunch:

3-4 times/week red meat with white rice or fried potatoes (rare)
1-2 times/week white meat
On friday it's "no-meat" day so I consume veggies (green beans, spinach, swiss chard) or something with pasta
3 "spirulina pacifica" pills

Snack:

This one is rich with fruit (banana, pears, apples, peaches, orange...)
All kinds of nuts
If I workout I drink whey protein with milk too for pre and post workout

Dinner:

White bread 400g (usually with salami and cheese) and I drink juice
Sometimes I beat up myself with pancakes
Canned tuna

Snack:

I nibble nuts or make popcorn

What's the best time time to consume carbos/proteins? What food is high in carbos (fruit?)

Can you comment on this or link me with some good articles to learn more about nutrition :smile:

Sorry guys if this has been asked many times before, but I'm trying to educate myself and I don't know many reliable resources to learn from. Any help is greatly appreciated :thumbright:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:19 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Simple nutritional guidelines:

1) Protein. Eat protein at every meal possible. It's a shame you can't eat eggs, because they would be one hell of a source. But quark, milk, cottage cheese, meat, beans and legumes,other dairy,even nuts (altough more of a fat source) and of course, the protein supplement. Try to get 2g per kg of bodyweight of protein. So somewhere around 100-140g of protein every day would be awesome.

2)Carbos. Eat greens with every meal. Gets you vitamins and fiber. There are different methods to consume carbs, I like carb cycling. When you are less active, eat less carbs (Less grain more green), and when you work out, eat lots of carbs with meals. Especially 1-4 hours after the workout. I tend not to eat any carbs in the morning if I don't go working out, but that again is totally optional. For your bulking goals, you need lots of carbs. Once again, especially after working out. That's when your muscle soaks everything up.

3) Meal frequency. Don't worry about the snacks. If you don't have a snack or don't feel like eating any, don't eat. It's the total amount of food that matters, not the amount of meals. If you eat less frequently, eat more at one sitting.

4) Potatoes, grains, rice and sugar are surely the most highest foods on when it comes to carbos. Some fruits also have a bit higher carbo amount, like bananas, but not all. Veggies are mostly water, but they contain lots of vitamins and fiber.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

I love this post, thank you very much! :thumbright: I forgot to ask, but what about weight gaining shakes, like
Quote:
2 scoops Protein Powder
3 Scoops of Almond butter 270 Cal
5 cups of whole milk 800 Cal
4 Raw Eggs 280 Cal
3 Scoops of Nutella 300 Cal
2 Bananas 210 Cal
3 Scoops of Ice-cream 321 Cal
TOTAL
Calories 2373
Fat 114g
Carbs 183g
Protein 134g
or
Quote:
I am not a fan of having a shake alone, so I have substitued a Shake with Cornflakes (Because of the high GI), a chopped banana and two scoops of whey protein mixed with skimmed milk and a tea spoon of honey, making for a very tasty snack full of what seems to be the right stuff to ensure effective protein synthesis.
As you see I found them on forum and they look nice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:37 pm 

Eat the ice cream by itself!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:31 am 
Novice
Novice

I eat it almost every day.