ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:43 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

So I've been working lo these past months on finding recipes that are shamelessly carnivorous but have some appeal for the teenagers. I've got some winners and some losers.

But check this out.

When I got sick of trying to be clever and interesting, I just diced up some potatoes, browned some beef, threw some taco powder and broccoli into it and called it "Powerlifter food." This was going to be mass-producible lunch, which I was sure I'd get to myself, being as it was as boring as watching grass grow.

Well it's the biggest hit. Even my oldest daughter likes it, and will admit so publicly and ask me when I'm making it.

Once the boy had about 4 or 5 of his teenage ravenous friends over, and I had to feed them (well ok technically I was under no compulsion except the general sense of hospitality) so I cooked up a few pounds of this and kept saying, "This is weightlifter food guys, not something your mom would make for you, I'm not trying to impress you just stuff you with nutrition." They ate it all. Free loaders.

So go figure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually that does sound good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:53 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Homemade Easy-Peasy Gulyas

Chunks of meat product (beef/lamb/pork, as desired - I use mostly venison burger, and spicy sausage is nice addition too).
thyme
One large onion, sliced thin
Four tablespoons beef talloow/butter OR 3 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil OR 4 tablespoons olive oil
Salt (to taste)
Garlic (to taste)
red chili pepper (to taste)
bay leaf (1)
1/8 cup wine (white for pork, venison, chicken; red for beef or lamb. Suggest a pinot gris or a nice Cab)
some celery
paprika
caraway seeds
potatoes (optional, will help with thickening, not necessary if you are using tough cuts of meat and are cooking slowly - dice these)

Add oil, saute onion, brown meat. Cook for a while
Add all other ingedients. Add water as needed for desired consistency.
Eat.

Ideally you would let this simmer for a while but you can also just kind of smash it around in a big pan for a bit on higher heat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:11 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I'll play

veggies (need an onion, plus whatever you want)
meat
eggs
cheese

fry up the meat and veggies, dump some eggs on it, put cheese on top, finish it under the grill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:45 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

impress her with hollandaisse sauce. From scratch, obv.

My wife and I have both sworn off Sams Club chicken breasts now. We have grwon disugsted with how big they have gotten

Ken,
I"m not sure about brocolli with Taco Mix; but you do have an effective dish, for sure.

Tuco
Good to see another use for my carraway seeds. I use them in a kale/potatos/sausage soup. [url]ByMyRecipes.com[/url]

RS
yumm. Are the eggs scrambled up first, left sunny side up, or broken and fried hard?
I've been bad with the carb binging lately. Seeing these meety contraptions go my mouth watering

The other day I did roasy a 7 lb center cut pork loin. It makes a lot more meat than 7 lbs of chuck roast, I learned. OVer the past couple of years, I've realized how under nurished I had been my whole life, in the area of protein and vitamins/minerals.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:53 pm 

RS
yumm. Are the eggs scrambled up first, left sunny side up, or broken and fried hard?
I've been bad with the carb binging lately. Seeing these meety contraptions go my mouth watering
[/quote]

beaten, then poured on top and cooked as is. I think it's called a fritatta.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:12 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ken, you forgot the fresh tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic. I'll definitely be giving the broccoli a try.

Also, if you read the package of "Taco Mix" it will tell you what's in it. I assume it's all paprika and chili powder. I have to check my empty "steak seasoning" every time I make a steak.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:02 am 

robertscott wrote:
I'll play

veggies (need an onion, plus whatever you want)
meat
eggs
cheese

fry up the meat and veggies, dump some eggs on it, put cheese on top, finish it under the grill

This is what I live off for no carb meals. I fry everything though. Halloumi or Mozzarella are my cheeses of choice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:13 pm 

yeah it's my go-to low carb meal too