ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weight Loss Escapade
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:12 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Seriously hurt my back a few months before XMAS, picked up homebrewing as a hobby, got a new job that ends up making my day 15 hours of sitting down staring at a PC screen, and bloated right up to 240lbs @ 28% give or take a few after a few holiday-filled months of no exercise. BP is now off the charts, cholesterol off the charts, everything is out of whack. Doc says I have to get to it or he will want me on meds.

Two weeks ago put myself on a low(er) carb diet (50g/day), whole foods only. Consistency has been good. Having a hard time with familial buy-in and avoiding the weekend drinks (which of course hits the compliance). I did this in '07 and lost over 50 lbs. I'm hoping I can do the same and get down to a reasonable weight and healthy outlook.

This week I started lifting with a modified 5/3/1 schedule - I'll be starting LOW, skipping the squats entirely and adding lots of chins and chin-related pulls. I have a lot of posterior atrophy to resolve as a result of the injury and my lack of activity. Also have a lot of mobility and flexibility issues to work out. Squat used to be my favorite lift but I ALWAYS eventually end up hurt doing them and I'm sure it is my form but don't feel like tempting six months of pain if I mess up on it again.

I'm just looking for some support, I guess.

Post subject: Re: Weight Loss Escapade
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:11 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Sounds very good. 28% is not that bad, and neither is the weigth. With this plan and if you keep your mind into it, you will succeed without problems. Try to gain the most support from your family as well, they have to understand why you do the things you do.

Try to get in some lower body lifts. There are more back friendly squat and hip hinge variations out there as well. Look into it. Doing lower body work is very essential for a fat loss fitness program, since it usually involves the core and the upper body as well, making it use most of muscle fibers and so on, burning most fat.

Try to get in lots of glute work (due to sitting and injury), and hamstring work. Bodyweigth exercises are great as well, especially in the beginning. Do mobility work as a warm-up, plus possibly soft-tissue work/relaxing/static stretching on off days.

You'll do great. Losing fat is incredibly simple if you just have the mindset right.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:17 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

good luck chubby

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:38 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
good luck chubby

...there's always one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:59 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I'll bet you are squatting too low. Find out how low you can go while keeping a good arch, set a box to that height and use it every time you squat. No need to pause on the box, just use it as a gauge for depth. Switching to front squats would be a good idea too.

Otherwise, you can get a wicked squat-style workout doing dumbell bulgarian split squats with pretty much zero loading on your lower back.

try and get some high intensity stuff in there; the heavy lifting from 5/3/1 will preserve muscle mass while you diet but you need to get your sweat on. Obesity pretty much rules out sprints, but barbell/dumbell complexes will work. Move really fast for short bursts, instead of slowly for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:22 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

RobertScott

why can't fatties sprint? or at least try to

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:39 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
RobertScott

why can't fatties sprint? or at least try to

I know I wouldn't recommend it, simply because the stress on their joints is too great. Many fatties have a hard enough time just jogging without injuring themselves. For cardio, walking up a hill is probably strenuous enough.

In any case, the OP is 240lbs @ 28% which is overweight but I wouldn't use the term "fatty", unlike someone else.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:42 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

fatties can do mountain climbers and sometimes burpees

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:21 am 

yeah my thinking is the same as Stuwards. Sprints for someone with such a high bodyfat'll be murder on the knees.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Hannan,

I think your must have changed your password to one that is too common

in the mean time as you get that straightened out, I'd like to
wish you a speedy recovery from the surgery,
say hi to Zach,
thanks for the heads up on the end of the world
whether Points or Core, WW sucks
and please dont' fart on the PC

good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hannan wrote:
Okay, thus I did not create it to the shop last night which suggests I'm not beginning the full points issue these days.

I want to urge a stock of excellent stuff before I begin. thus these days at lunch i'm reaching to create an inventory of the items i believe would be smart to urge (lean cookery microwave meals and such area unit delectable and so some fruits and veggies and stuff).

We even have foods that we tend to force out of the deep-freeze in preparation for the storm that require to be eaten (hot dogs, some frozen leftovers, some BBQ pork stuff that's delectable on sandwiches).

I guess i will be able to need to investigate the things we've reception and create a sensible goal on what to try to to with the food that WONT work on WW and once to start out. i'm reaching to do an equivalent issue I did last time with the one-meal-of-no-counting issue....on the end of the world of my WW week, i might leave to dinner with Zach and not count the points. it'd be my splurge. Chicken deep-fried cut of meat and fix-ins, James city district, another alimentation, stuff that might ordinarily eat plenty of my points up..i would attempt to not excessively stuff myself...but that technique worked well the full time since altogether those weeks, i solely gained a pair of times (and but a pound each times). different times i either lost or stayed an equivalent (like over my a pair of 1/2 week Christmas break that enclosed being foggy because of pain killers from my surgery).

So yeah. I'm quite dalliance with the concept of doing the Core set up with them rather than the Points System. The Core set up consists of a reasonably protracted list of stuff that i will eat all the time...with no investigating. i might still have the flex points for treats or different things that ardent on the list...i dunno.

we shall see tho'. i actually ought to get things rolling with this rather than being lazy. I actually have been reading plenty within the evenings...maybe I ought to create it to wherever i will solely browse if I actually have done an explicit quantity of exercise/activity initial...since i hardly watch TV (i very solely browse and fart around on the pc at home) which may work. a pleasant very little incentive scheme to urge my ass geared.

:)

I dont want to know about how you urge your anything geared.