ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

This is my biggest diet problem, until lunch i can't eat pretty much anything and after lunch I have regular snacks and eat every 2-3h or whenever I feel need to eat. I'm really trying to eat but my organism wont accept much so my bf has 1-2 slices of bread with butter or something similar and 2-3dL of juice. Any advice how to force my organism to eat. I also drink whey protein on days when I'm training and that is 1h before training; would it be better to drink it for breakfast in situation like this?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:04 pm 

I gather your goal is to gain weight. Many people don't like breakfast. You may be better off with a simple protein snack in the morning and then something more substantial later on. Something like a protein smoothie is usually well tolerated and you can put a lot of calories in it. Plan your meals so you eat as much as you intend to eat and ensures you can maximize the nutritional quality.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:03 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

You don't have to eat breakfast. Many people do well without (including myself). Eat somewhere around 1-4 hours after waking up and you'll do fine, and most likely have more appetite then. If you don't want to go that way, do what Stu said. Have a little protein snack or something. That bread won't do much for your day. Or have a handful of nuts, maybe a fruit or something like that?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 am 

Doesn't sound like a problem to me. I've never been hungry for breakfast, my first meal is around 2pm. Don't worry, you won't waste away. As long as you're getting the food in at some point during the day it's fine and probably beneficial to skip breakfast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:17 am 
Novice
Novice

As Stu said I'm trying to gain weight and I thought it would have bad impact overall (heard million times that bf is most important meal of the day). I could easily eat fruits or nuts, I always have them around.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:29 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

protein shake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:53 am 
Novice
Novice

If I drink shake for the breakfast , should I drink 1 more before workout like I did before? I prefer 1 shake daily because whey protein is not very cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

led7x wrote:
(heard million times that bf is most important meal of the day)

You can throw that saying straight out of the window. It has no real base except on people who have problems controlling hunger, and maybe on certain diseases. It doesn't even hurt your weigth gain goals, and might even help you burn the excess fat. It's optional, just make sure you eat enough, don't stress about when you eat it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:12 am 

led7x wrote:
If I drink shake for the breakfast , should I drink 1 more before workout like I did before? I prefer 1 shake daily because whey protein is not very cheap.

na, you don't need to particularly. You don't actually need to drink a shake before working out, or anytime for that matter. It's just convenience.

I drink a shake for breakfast if I'm in a hurry in the mornings and that's it. I eat solid food before and after a workout. I know that conventional wisdom decrees you have to drink a shake before working out, then drink a shake with protein and carbs immediately post workout, and I'm sure there's probably a study out there that shows a 2.769% increase in protein synthesis if you do so or whatever, but I don't think it's necessary.

just eat when you're hungry. If you have a shake in the morning, then get hungry before you go to the gym, then have something to eat or another shake. If, however you have a shake in the morning and you're not hungry by the time you are ready for the gym then don't have something to eat.

Your body knows when it needs food, so don't try and second guess it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:29 am 
Novice
Novice

Dub wrote:
You can throw that saying straight out of the window. It has no real base except on people who have problems controlling hunger, and maybe on certain diseases. It doesn't even hurt your weigth gain goals, and might even help you burn the excess fat. It's optional, just make sure you eat enough, don't stress about when you eat it.

It's nice to hear that, I can relax when I don't feel hungry at morning.

robertscott wrote:
na, you don't need to particularly. You don't actually need to drink a shake before working out, or anytime for that matter. It's just convenience.

I drink a shake for breakfast if I'm in a hurry in the mornings and that's it. I eat solid food before and after a workout. I know that conventional wisdom decrees you have to drink a shake before working out, then drink a shake with protein and carbs immediately post workout, and I'm sure there's probably a study out there that shows a 2.769% increase in protein synthesis if you do so or whatever, but I don't think it's necessary.

just eat when you're hungry. If you have a shake in the morning, then get hungry before you go to the gym, then have something to eat or another shake. If, however you have a shake in the morning and you're not hungry by the time you are ready for the gym then don't have something to eat.

Your body knows when it needs food, so don't try and second guess it.

That could work, I workout before dinner and it becomes my post workout meal too.

I always thought that I wont achieve weight gain or better results overall if I skip bf, but now I see it's not anything like that. Thanks for the help guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:15 am 

led7x wrote:
I always thought that I wont achieve weight gain or better results overall if I skip bf, but now I see it's not anything like that. Thanks for the help guys.

yeah it's one of those old "rules" that just won't die. Fact is, if you're not hungry in the mornings, there's no need to force yourself to eat something.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:00 am 
Novice
Novice

If I mix 0,5L of milk which has 3,2g of protein per 100g with 1scoop of whey (24g protein), does that mean that shake has about 40g of protein? This is something that came on my mind while I was searching for pre and post workout shakes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:23 am 

led7x wrote:
If I mix 0,5L of milk which has 3,2g of protein per 100g with 1scoop of whey (24g protein), does that mean that shake has about 40g of protein? This is something that came on my mind while I was searching for pre and post workout shakes.

That's right.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

And one last question regarding post workout; How good is yogurt?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 pm 

led7x wrote:
And one last question regarding post workout; How good is yogurt?

Yogurt is good. After workout, a small 0% greek plus a banana would be about right. I like full fat greek at other times of the day.